Un-Drafted Free Agents

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
swine

Postby Colorado Skin Fan » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:33 pm

I like the look of Grant Garner to stick as well. Good size, mobility, pedigree. Center is a spot looking for someone to make an impression.

piggie

Postby CPallDAY08 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:44 pm

I played against Antwan Bailey in HS. He went to St. Johns in dc before Cuse. Not overly gifted but he is a very smart player and one of the hardest working kids you will ever meet. Hope he can make it onto the PS.

Hog

Postby FanofallthatisGibbs » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:21 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:Kerby Long from James Madison? Well, we have had SOME success with a wide receiver from there before ;-)

Love the Gary Clark reference, and even as a Dukes fan, I cannot see Kirby sticking. He has some good speed and is used to blocking a lot in a spread offense with JMU. But he never seemed to live up to his potential, although that partly had to do with the QB situation there.

On a personal note, his father died (and was a great fan of his son and the school!) during I believe his Jr year. That's a huge burden for any college student to work through, much less a football player on scholarship. Great character guy. Good luck to him though, and I wish him the best!

Bottom line - WR I see the Skins needing a slot receiver to learn/take over for Santana Moss in the long run. Kirby is not the best fit IMO, but his blocking is likely better than most WRs. He can return kicks, but I doubt he is enough of a Special Teams guy to sniff the roster.

Other CAA UDFA players - two DEs: one from W&M; one from UNH. Wouldn't be surprised to see one make the team for depth - both guys are solid and at the very least should push the current 2-3 string roster to its best to remain in their roster spots.

Sorry for the long post, but these are the guys I watch on Saturdays in the fall when I am in the country.

Postby Morgan33 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:10 pm

does anyone know where or if Rico Wallace from shenadoah or Jared Green have signed or been invited to any camps?

Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:22 pm

Jared Green to the Panthers per Darrell Green on twitter
XVII XXII XXVI

Postby Morgan33 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:26 pm

I just found out that Rico wallace according to Shenadoah's website will sign with the panthers as well.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:10 pm

Here's a little synopsis to go along with some of the UDFAs.

Kelvin Bolden, WR, Southern Miss: 6-0, 160 lbs. Bolden was on the preseason Biletnikoff Award watch list, caught 58 passes for 671 yards and seven TD’s

Lennon Creer, RB, Louisiana Tech: 5-10, 215 lbs. Averaged 1,000 yards and 9.5 touchdowns his last two seasons.

Grant Garne, C, Oklahoma State: 6-3, 304 lbs. Garne was the big 12 offensive lineman of the year.

Darius Hanks, WR, Alabama: 6-0, 180 lbs. Just 26 receptions in 2011 in the Crimson Tides’ run-oriented offense.

D.J. Holt, ILB, Cal: 6-1, 250 lbs. Last year posted 82 tackles and six sacks at Cal.

Marcus Hyde, DE, William & Mary: 6-2, 250 lbs. At his size it appears that he will convert to an outside linebacker.

Lance Lewis, WR, East Carolina: 6-3, 209 lbs. One scouting report compared his skills to those of Brandon Lloyd.

Vaughn Metaoga, DL, Hawaii: 6-2, 294 lbs. Will move to defensive end.

Chase Minnifield, CB, Virginia: 5-10, 183 lbs. Many analysts had him as a mid-round pick but injury concerns (knee) likely cost him.

Brian McNalley, DE, New Hampshire: 6-3, 265 lbs. Had 28.5 sacks, probably will move to outside linebacker.

Michael Shaw, RB, Michigan: 6-1, 187 lb. Gained 1001 yards on 190 attempts in four seasons with the Wolverines.

Eain Smith, S, West Virginia: 5-11, 205 lbs. Mostly a part-time player for the Mountaineers, had 60 tackles and two interceptions in four years.

Garner was projected to be drafted in the 7th after moving up many boards and was the 8th ranked C
Holt was a projected 7th round pick and was the 15th rankd ILB
Metaoga was a projected 6th round pick and the 18th ranked DT
Minnifield was a 2nd round prediction until surgery and even after was a 4/5 round projection

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/messages/c ... ID36163157

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:29 pm

Heck, sounds like we got some good potential talent that may make the team. Minnifield is interesting to me....hopefully he can recover from the micro-surgery because he would be a steal for us if that is the case. Garner also sounds ok, big 12 O-lineman of the year.

Thanks for posting this list along with comments on each.
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:53 pm

Two factors make these drafts exciting for me.

1. We have talented coaches.

2. We have continuity at the coaching level. These guys are telling the scouts what they want. The scouts find the talent and we have the coaches here to grow it. That only happens with continuity. It MUST continue. We're growing our OWN talent!!!! Are U guys realizing this?
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:08 pm

rskin72 wrote:Heck, sounds like we got some good potential talent that may make the team. Minnifield is interesting to me....hopefully he can recover from the micro-surgery because he would be a steal for us if that is the case. Garner also sounds ok, big 12 O-lineman of the year.

Thanks for posting this list along with comments on each.

Yep my brother is high on him. He thinks we got a real cover guy.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1165 ... d-analysis

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:18 pm

the Redskins signed monstrous Wisconsin tackle Josh Oglesby. The former Badger was considered one of the top offensive line prospects in the country coming out of high school and, despite five knee surgeries, he had a productive career in Madison playing for one of the best offensive line units in the country. At 6'7" and 338 pounds, he certainly has the size to make an NFL roster. Scouts question his athleticism, but many projected he would go in the later rounds and likely have a career as a backup tackle. He's scheduled to be in Washington on Sunday to have his physical. It's expected that his knees will pass the team doctors' examination, and he will be cleared to play.

http://www.sbnation.com/2012-nfl-draft/ ... draft-2012

piggie

Postby FireVinny » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:30 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:
FireVinny wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
tribeofjudah wrote:Wow, so these guys will be at Skins camp..? I wonder how many stick like glue....

Two, maybe three, at best.

Minnifield is a lock, so him plus two or maybe three. If he's not healthy, he'll head to the PUP or IR, but if he's healthy he's pro-ready.

No, he isn't. He had microfracture surgery in January and his recovery has been slower than expected. If he recovers fully from the injury he has a good chance.

Yeah... that's what I said. He's a lock to either make the roster or get stashed on the PUP or IR.
Since Chris Samuels, on the first day of the draft:
O-Line: 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
D-Line: 0
WR: 4

piggie

Postby FireVinny » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:00 pm

Countertrey wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:
FireVinny wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
tribeofjudah wrote:Wow, so these guys will be at Skins camp..? I wonder how many stick like glue....

Two, maybe three, at best.

Minnifield is a lock, so him plus two or maybe three. If he's not healthy, he'll head to the PUP or IR, but if he's healthy he's pro-ready.

No, he isn't. He had microfracture surgery in January and his recovery has been slower than expected. If he recovers fully from the injury he has a good chance.

While NO ONE is a lock... except the higher draft choices... Minnifield is likely to be protected to be back next year if he can't recover quickly enough. The Microfracture procedure takes longer to recover from, but, rehabbed correctly and with patience, tends to give a much better long term result.

He's a legit corner, and they will find a way to give him a fighting chance to make this team either this year or next. He was born and raised to be an NFL Cornerback... kid got good genes, and had a built in position coach, who happened to be pretty darned good, himself. This is a very sharp move by the FO.

From what I've gleaned, it's not a true microfracture procedure. Instead it's a James Andrews procedure that was initially reported as a simple scope. Minnifield's recovery has been slow when judged by that description, but after reading a full report from Andrews, teams discovered that the procedure was actually similar to microfracture. When judged by microfracture standards, Minnifield's recovery has been incredibly fast. He was already running a 4.6 three weeks ago. But again, that's because it wasn't a true microfracture, but instead, "a version of that procedure... an arthroscopic procedure that is done in conjunction with a traditional clean-out," which is what James Andrews advocates.

So we don't really know what his timetable is. Microfracture is new enough, so Andrews' version with an accelerated timetable is a huge question mark. Minnifield seems healthy enough to at least partially participate next week, but it's possible that we'll want to shut him down and make him focus on rehab. There seems to be some concern that Minnifield has already put his long term prospects at risk by rushing his recovery to try to get drafted.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:56 pm

Minnifield will make this roster. He's a prototypical nickel corner.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Wed May 02, 2012 3:51 pm

Delvin Johnson, DT/NT, Marshall (invited to Rookie Camp but hasn't signed)

Height: 6-3. Weight: 312.
Projected 40 Time: 5.20.

WalterFootball had him ranked #8 among NT prior to the draft

4/25/12: After a quiet junior season, Johnson made a big improvement this year as a senior, making 42 tackles, 10.5 tackles for a loss and two sacks. He took advantage of offenses being focused on teammate Vinny Curry. Johnson barely played in 2008 and 2009 before making a modest contribution in 2010. He did not work out at the Combine, or play in a major All-Star game.

Here's his Interview
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football