Post-Draft Depth Chart

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:09 pm

I believe Chase Minnifield makes this team as a nickle corner as well. He's someone to keep an eye on. Once a projected 3rd round corner, he had a knee scope at the wrong time and his stock dropped. I think he makes it.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Postby skinsfan#33 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:29 pm

Red_One43 wrote:As poorly as Cook played at Center last year, I am looking for Kory to move back to center (he was a center in Denver - might even be better than Monty from what I hear) if Gettis and LeRibeus are the what Shanny is hoping for.

R_143,
Are you saying what would happen if Monty were to get injured, because Monty is a LOCK to start at C?
If Kory is healthy enough to play to start the season I think he starts at LG, but my prefered place for him would be as our #6 OL. The first guy off the banch if any of our starting interior OL get hurt. That would mean (most likely) LeRibeus beats him out to start the season.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:44 pm

FireVinny wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:As poorly as Cook played at Center last year, I am looking for Kory to move back to center (he was a center in Denver - might even be better than Monty from what I hear) if Gettis and LeRibeus are the what Shanny is hoping for.

My guess on the line is that we keep at least 9 on the roster (maybe 10 but probably not). I'd also guess that only Trent, Monty and Chester have safe roster spots. Kory might get PUP'd, but won't get cut. Brown's got no guaranteed money left, so if he's not healthy he might get cut before camp. If he makes it to camp he's probably safe. LeRibeus is probably safe, just to protect him from getting snagged. Compton is ahead of Polumbus, maybe Smith. Gettis is probably ahead of Cook. Garner's got a decent shot to win a spot as a pro-ready, experienced ZBS center, albeit with limited upside.

My prediction:
Kory starts the season on the PUP.

Trent, Monty, Chester, Brown, LeRibeus, Lee, Compton, Gettis and Hurt make the 53. Trent, Monty, Gettis, Chester and Brown start against New Orleans.

I am surprised that you feel that Smith won't make the team after his showing last year as a fill in starter. He is ahead of the rookies in experience. If he has the hunger to get better, then he should stick this year. It is great to be having this discussion about our O line. While it isn't any where near elite, I think that it is safe to say that it is improving and it has depth this season.

Hog

Re: Post-Draft Depth Chart

Postby the poster » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:15 pm

DarthMonk wrote:Here's what I got. Please discuss/fix.

Offense

LT Williams, Lee, Compton, McCaskill
LG Licht, Hurt, Gettis
C Monty, Cook
RG Chestr, LeRibeus
RT Brown, Smith, Polumbus
TE Davis, Cooley, Paulksen, Paul, Quinn, Myers
RB Helu, Royster, Morris, Davis
FB Young
WR Garcon, Hankerson, Moss, MOrgan, Armstrong, Gaffney, Austin, Robinson, Banks
QB Griffin, Grossman, Cousins, Crompton

Defense

LE Jenkins, Carriker, Balmer
NT Cofield, Neild, Baker
RE Bowen, Golston, Scott, Worthington
LOLB Kerrigan, White, Wilson
LILB Fletcher, Alexander
RILB Riley, Kehl
ROLB Orakpo, Jackson, Robinson
LCB Hall, Griffin, Barnes, Crawford
RCB Wilson, Torrence, Thompson, Berstine
SS Meriweather, Doughty, Bellamy
FS Jackson, Williams, Gomes

P Rocca
K Gano, Rackers
LS Sundberg
PR Banks
KR Banks

DarthMonk

wow. looking at this roster, it's really weak. what is rg3 going to do when he's running from babin, Cole, Fletcher cox, demarco Ryans or Justin tuck, Jason piere Paul and company, or Demarcus ware and Ratliff?

6-10

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:30 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:

R_143,
Are you saying what would happen if Monty were to get injured, because Monty is a LOCK to start at C?
If Kory is healthy enough to play to start the season I think he starts at LG, but my prefered place for him would be as our #6 OL. The first guy off the banch if any of our starting interior OL get hurt. That would mean (most likely) LeRibeus beats him out to start the season.

Kory moved to guard out of need - that need may not be so much any more. My post was based off reports I have read that Kory was a natural center and a pretty good one at that. Monty was a serviceable center last year. Is he a LOCK? They didn't give him any guaranteed money when they signed him, so I am not sure that qualifies him as a LOCK, but I agree with you that it might be hard to supplant him since Shanny would like some continuity in the O line and Monty has a good work ethic so he might have improved. My comments were much like the quote below a thought. :)

Will Montgomery started 14 games at center in 2011 (he started the other two at left guard) and while he performed respectably, many believe that the team could do better. The thought is that they could move Kory Lichtensteiger from left guard to his natural position at center and then get a guard in the draft.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... e-thoughts

College career

Lichtensteiger became a member of the Bowling Green State University football team in 2003. In his 5 years with the team he received numerous honors including being chosen as a team captain and being named to All-MAC, Academic All-MAC and national All-American lists.
He was redshirted his freshman year and played center on the scout team.
During his second year on the team, Lichtensteiger was moved to offensive guard. He started all 12 games that season and was named Second Team All-MAC and a Football Writers Association of America Freshman All-American.
In his sophomore season, Lichtensteiger started all 11 games and was once again named Second Team All-MAC. As a junior, he was shifted back to center and started 12 games. On the field he was named First-Team All-MAC and Co-MVP of the team. Off the field he was named to the Academic All-MAC team.
In his final season with the Falcons, he was named pre-season First-Team All-MAC. He started 13 games and was a finalist for the Rimington Trophy and a semifinalist for the Draddy Trophy

http://www.thehogs.net/forum/posting.ph ... e&p=577766

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue May 01, 2012 6:56 am

Offense

LG Licht, Hurt, Gettis
C Monty, Cook
RG Chestr, LeRibeus

Man, I'm not sure what to change but I'd have to say that last years starters aren't set to start this year. The competition level is too high.

Licht - if he comes back healthy, I think he's moving back to center. That gives a quality backup in Monty.
Chester - underwhelming inagural season. there's a possiblity of improvement due to continuity. I'm looking for a rookie to really push him.
Hurt - possibly pushes for the LG spot.
Brown - if he's healthy, he'll still get pushed by a rookie and/or Polumbus who played well.

Jeez... I guess my point is that, this line is fluid. Due to injuries, guys have experience and some at more than one spot. Brown and Chester haven't impressed, their jobs are in jeopardy. We need more speed out there and the jobs are for the taking.

Let's not undervalue the experience our rookies/sub's got last year and let's not forget how well they played towards the end.

DarthMonk wrote:RB Helu, Royster, Morris, Davis

I see a possible Hightower resigning for camp. He's out there, I think he wants to be here. He could have signed elsewhere but he hasn't... None of our current backs have shown that they can handle the long-haul. If Tim isn't brought back on board. I'd look for the rookie to get a lot of looks. Royster (the more durable of the two? i forget) becomes the "#1" back. Helu becomes the "change of pace" back. The rookie becomes the "finisher", the same way he was used in college.

While the rookie doesn't possess elite speed, if I remember correctly, he doesn't fumble... In addition, if you watch his video's, he's hard to bring down. If the running game is flowing well and tiring out the defense, I see him as a Ray Rice type of back that'll ping-pong his was through a defense.

DarthMonk wrote:WR Garcon, Hankerson, Moss, MOrgan, Armstrong, Gaffney, Austin, Robinson, Banks

Garcon
Hankerson/Morgan - depends on how good Hankersons route running becomes. He was promoted last year, albeit due to injury. He'll have a lot of time to improve and work with RGIII.
Morgan/Moss/Armstrong - situational, mike wants to go younger but Moss's experience might help him this year
Moss/Armstrong - situational, Armstrong is most likely the fastest WR. He fell off last year because we didn't have a QB that had the arm to utilize that speed. Now we do. He won't be a starter but if he and RGIII gain chemistry, it'll be hard to keep him off the field.

DarthMonk wrote:QB Griffin, Grossman, Cousins, Crompton

Crompton gets cut. Camp arm, that's it.

DarthMonk wrote:Defense

I need more time to think.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:40 am

Red_One43 wrote:They didn't give him any guaranteed money when they signed him, so I am not sure that qualifies him as a LOCK,

You're correect they didn't guarantee any of his money at first, but after the cap hit and after the FA Centers they were interested in signed with other teams the Skins restructuresd Monty's contract guaranteeing enough of his contract to clean $2M worth of cap space.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/redskins-restructure-center-will-montgomerys-contract-to-gain-cap-space/2012/03/16/gIQAMNOBHS_blog.html

Right now they have more guaranteed money invested in Monty than they do Kory, so if you're pointing to guaranteed money as an indication as to who is more secure, I would have to say it is Monty.

I'll back off of my lock statement and say Many is a virtual lock to start at center. Maybe not 100%, but atleast better than 95% (barring injury).

Prior to FA and them restructuring his deal I would have given him less then 50% chance, but they are finacially committed to him now.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby RayNAustin » Tue May 01, 2012 11:26 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:I think it's possible that Crompton makes the team as a #3 with Cousins as our practice squad QB. Then in 2013 we can dump Grossman, and bring Cousins up to the main roster.

EDIT: Nevermind on that, if Cousins is on the practice squad someone can pick him up. I'd still like to see RGIII, Cousins, and Crompton as our 3 QB's (if RGIII is as good as everyone is hoping) for 2013.

Grossman will be on the team this year, no way we keep three QBs with virtually no experience between them. I agree with those saying Grossman is still actually probably here for two more years.

Grossman is a quality reserve, I'm glad to have him in that role until Cousins or someone is ready to take over. People dissing him for that are missing the boat. He knows the system, has a good attitude, and plays the same no matter how much or little he plays. You don't have a RG3 sitting on the bench, no one does.

Absolutely true ... Grossman can play very well at times ... he's really an enigma. The shame is that he has never been able to escape his own negative tendencies, and eliminate the TOs.

But as a backup, he fits right in ... and he has an outstanding attitude about that too ... he knows that he's there as a BU to RG3, and he's already said he'll do whatever he can to help RG3. Experienced vet ... streaky but very good when he gets on a roll, and a team first guy!

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue May 01, 2012 11:38 am

Offense

LG Licht, Hurt, Gettis
C Monty, Cook
RG Chester, LeRibeus
TE Davis, Cooley, Paulksen, Paul, Quinn, Myers
RB Helu, Royster, Morris, Davis
FB Young
WR Garcon, Hankerson, Moss, MOrgan, Armstrong, Gaffney, Austin, Robinson, Banks
QB Griffin, Grossman, Cousins, Crompton

Defense

LE Jenkins, Carriker, Balmer
NT Cofield, Neild, Baker
RE Bowen, Golston, Scott, Worthington
LOLB Kerrigan, White, Wilson
LILB Fletcher, Goff, Alexander
RILB Riley, Kehl, Robinson
ROLB Orakpo, Jackson
LCB Hall, Griffin, Barnes, Crawford
RCB Wilson, Torrence, Thompson, Minnifield
SS Meriweather, Doughty, Bellamy
FS Jackson, Williams, Gomes , Berstine

P Rocca
K Gano, Rackers
LS Sundberg
PR Banks
KR Banks

DarthMonk

Fixes/additions in red. I'm only including Minnifield as an UDFA because it seems like he is really legit.

I LOVE where our depth/youth is headed. This team feels like its a bunch of hungry go to work guys that will produce surprising results. I especially love our Front 7 and the back ups there as well. Curious to see how receiver plays out with a weapon at QB. My biggest concern right now is the secondary. From starters to back ups, I'm just not sure what we've got.

My "bold" prediction, this offensive line ends up being top 10, with quality depth.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue May 01, 2012 11:51 am

This FO is not done tweaking and adding here - we have made some progress and we'll be competitive

there's going to be competition for many spots on this roster and the team will be a lot better off for it

younger and faster :lol:
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

piggie

Postby FireVinny » Tue May 01, 2012 12:24 pm

Red_One43 wrote:
FireVinny wrote:

My guess on the line is that we keep at least 9 on the roster (maybe 10 but probably not). I'd also guess that only Trent, Monty and Chester have safe roster spots. Kory might get PUP'd, but won't get cut. Brown's got no guaranteed money left, so if he's not healthy he might get cut before camp. If he makes it to camp he's probably safe. LeRibeus is probably safe, just to protect him from getting snagged. Compton is ahead of Polumbus, maybe Smith. Gettis is probably ahead of Cook. Garner's got a decent shot to win a spot as a pro-ready, experienced ZBS center, albeit with limited upside.

My prediction:
Kory starts the season on the PUP.

Trent, Monty, Chester, Brown, LeRibeus, Lee, Compton, Gettis and Hurt make the 53. Trent, Monty, Gettis, Chester and Brown start against New Orleans.

I am surprised that you feel that Smith won't make the team after his showing last year as a fill in starter. He is ahead of the rookies in experience. If he has the hunger to get better, then he should stick this year. It is great to be having this discussion about our O line. While it isn't any where near elite, I think that it is safe to say that it is improving and it has depth this season.

I think 2 of Lee, Smith and Compton. I don't know what to make of Lee, and just guessing about Compton at this point.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue May 01, 2012 2:26 pm

I'm so proud of y'all!
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue May 01, 2012 3:18 pm

Thanks dad... dad... daddy-o.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Tue May 01, 2012 3:24 pm

Seeing this makes me really concerned with our OL....

We are very young at the skilled positions, I hope that fans are willing to be patient -- especially with our OL issues.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue May 01, 2012 3:26 pm

Countertrey wrote:I'm so proud of y'all!

Hey, it might have taken me 1, 2 0r 20 times, but I got it eventually.

:up:
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football