Redskins release Jabar Gaffney

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Tue May 01, 2012 2:24 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
Jabbar wrote:I just heard. I just talked to Mike Shanahan. He said I was going to be making too much, and that they wanted to see what the other players can do. He said there is a chance I can come back, but he said it would be for around the minimum because I wouldn't be the starter anymore. I am not interested in going from being their leading receiver to being third-string, and having my number taken from me. That is pretty much telling me that I am not going to be making the team. Now Drew (Rosenhaus) can start talking to other teams to find me a new home.

Yea, I want this guy in our locker room. [/sarcasm]

To be fair, I don't really see anything out of order in that statement. Probably better advised to just keep quiet, but nothing unreasonable in those words.

Especially in light of what we witnessed on Twitter a while ago, lol.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue May 01, 2012 2:30 pm

Yeah... considering the recent twitter debacle, it looks like he held his tongue a bit... (or is that bit his tongue a held?)
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby the poster » Tue May 01, 2012 2:54 pm

their best receiver? the redskins dont have a best receiver. They have a bunch of non-descript, average, mediocre wide receivers.

gaffney is one of the older ones.

do u think really think there's a difference in winning/losing with Jabar Friggin Gaffney on or off the roster? Dude, take Gaffney OFF your personal pedastal.

If people OUTSIDE of this website were ranking the 50 (fifty!) top receivers in the game, I would guess that Gaffney would not even register on that list.

To me, Gaffney is the epitome of the Washington Redskins. He's average at everything, doesnt stand out, he's NOT terrible, he's NOT bad, he's NOT good either. He's simply middle of the road. Average. Boring. Blah.

Him going or staying has no effect at all on the Redskins. He's best fit is on a team that already has good receivers and he can go in as a 3rd receiver, like for example, Dallas would be a nice fit for him, I would think. There's nothing wrong with the guy, I dont dislike him or his game. But he is what he is: plain and average.
Last edited by the poster on Tue May 01, 2012 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue May 01, 2012 2:57 pm

Funny to see people getting worked up about freaking Gaffney. I almost have to agree with our local troll about him. Saying he was the best of our WRs last year isn't really saying much.

This move frees up needed money, and hopefully gives one of these other guys a chance to step in and prove himself.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue May 01, 2012 3:27 pm

riggofan wrote:Funny to see people getting worked up about freaking Gaffney. I almost have to agree with our local troll about him. Saying he was the best of our WRs last year isn't really saying much.

This move frees up needed money, and hopefully gives one of these other guys a chance to step in and prove himself.

Why even include that? Your post is just fine without it. :thump:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue May 01, 2012 3:31 pm

Thank you, DS...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue May 01, 2012 3:33 pm

riggofan wrote:Funny to see people getting worked up about freaking Gaffney. I almost have to agree with our local troll about him. Saying he was the best of our WRs last year isn't really saying much.

Let's grant for the sake of your point (ONLY) that all skins WRs are garbage. Mustn't there still be a best piece of garbage among them? Logically, a statement that the skins have no best receiver is dumb and necessarily wrong. SO, since we're discussing the impact of losing Gaffney from the Redskins roster, the universe of receivers is . . . the receivers on our roster. Their relative worth compared to other receivers on other teams is. . .

IRRELEVANT

Oh, and I think you're spot on that losing him frees up a chance for one of the other guys. My guess is Shanahan agrees with you, too.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Tue May 01, 2012 5:29 pm

I'm going to keep this simple. The West Coast Offense is structure for run after the catch. Gaffney was one of the worst in the NFL even with those yards.

What Gaffney did VERY well was dissect the defense and when they were in zone, he would sit right down in the open space. Problem was, he would then fall down and get no YAC (Yards after Catch).

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue May 01, 2012 6:04 pm

na na na na, na na na na, heeeeeeeeyyyy aaayyyyeee.. goooood byeeee!

See you on twitter Gaffney!
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue May 01, 2012 6:06 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:na na na na, na na na na, heeeeeeeeyyyy aaayyyyeee.. goooood byeeee!

He deleted his account. LOL
SPIT HAPPENS!!

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue May 01, 2012 6:08 pm

The Hogster wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:na na na na, na na na na, heeeeeeeeyyyy aaayyyyeee.. goooood byeeee!

He deleted his account. LOL

#-o

and to think I was gonna express feelings of hate for my ex-wife with him.. oh well !
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Hog

Postby skinpride1 » Tue May 01, 2012 8:07 pm

Don't forget that Gaffney was sexy rexys favorite target because they have a long history together and with Rex going to be the back up its time to move on to bigger and better things.
RG3....Super Man....check out my socks!!!

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Tue May 01, 2012 8:25 pm

This is true ^ but lets not forget he was catching balls from other QBs as well. Improving each year.

I really did want him here just because he was more of a clutch catcher. Possesion guy. OK he is gone.

Hog

Postby skinpride1 » Tue May 01, 2012 8:46 pm

I want to see Hankerson come back strong. Been hearing talk that moss has been working out hard and is in damned good shape. I could see Moss having a strong year with Rg3 throwing to him. I still think Moss has some gas left in the tank.
RG3....Super Man....check out my socks!!!

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Tue May 01, 2012 8:53 pm

skinpride1 wrote:I want to see Hankerson come back strong. Been hearing talk that moss has been working out hard and is in damned good shape. I could see Moss having a strong year with Rg3 throwing to him. I still think Moss has some gas left in the tank.

Oh, he has the speed still or gas; he just has suspect hands. The Patriots game comes to my mind. I like him though he is a real Redskin as Joe would say.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football