Gus Frerotte has advice for new Redskins QB Kirk Cousins

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Thu May 03, 2012 3:38 am

The Washington Redskins, as expected, picked Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Robert Griffin III with the second overall pick.

Then, the Skins unexpectedly took Michigan State quarterback Kirk Cousins in the fourth round.

Some think this was a wasted pick. Others believe the Redskins have created their own quarterback controversy.

One thing it's not is unprecedented. In fact, back in 1994, Washington drafted two quarterbacks -- Heath Shuler third overall and Gus Frerotte in the seventh round.

Frerotte eventually beat out Shuler for the job and bounced around to have a decent career, which included a stint with the Lions. But since he played the "Kirk Cousins role" 18 years ago, Frerotte has some advice for the ex-Spartan, according to Yahoo!Sports.

"Take every rep you can and go the extra mile," Frerotte replied. "And hope RG3 holds out."

While the holdout is less than likely with the new collective bargaining agreement, it was key to Frerotte winning the starting job. He told Yahoo!Sports that he since Shuler missed much of training camp negotiating his rookie deal, Frerotte got plenty of reps in practice and improved. When Shuler got hurt during the '94 season, Frerotte started a few games. In '96, the two QBs competed for the top spot and Frerotte responded with a Pro Bowl season.

What added to the competition, Frerotte said, was a political pull between head coach Norv Turner and general manager Charley Casserly.

"Heath was Norv's pick; the guy who chose me was [then-Redskins general manager] Charley Casserly," Frerotte said. "So I don't think Norv was thrilled with the idea of playing me. But as soon as we got there and I saw Heath in action, I knew that I was better. Then he held out, and I kept getting all the reps, and I got more and more ahead. I felt like eventually, they were going to play the guy who gave us the best chance to win."

(from Detroit Free Press)
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Thu May 03, 2012 6:11 am

Well, back then, there was a legitimate debate about who was the better quarterback (well, there certainly was after we'd seen them both play).

Heath Shuler gave Frerotte a chance to get in on the action. All being well, Kirk Cousins will not get such a chance because RGIII is going to prove that he's the real deal :-)
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Thu May 03, 2012 6:46 am

Frerotte also added: "Don't head butt the wall no matter how excited you may get"
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu May 03, 2012 9:04 am

ATX_Skins wrote:Frerotte also added: "Don't head butt the wall no matter how excited you may get"

:oops:

:lol:
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby Mississippiskinsfan2 » Thu May 03, 2012 9:29 am

I can remember my dad telling me Heath Shuler would never make it in the NFL because he was use to having all day to throw the ball with that O-line he had at Ten.

Hog

Postby rick301 » Thu May 03, 2012 12:51 pm

Mississippiskinsfan2 wrote:I can remember my dad telling me Heath Shuler would never make it in the NFL because he was use to having all day to throw the ball with that O-line he had at Ten.

Smart man - you dad was right.

Hog

Postby Mississippiskinsfan2 » Thu May 03, 2012 1:05 pm

rick301 wrote:
Mississippiskinsfan2 wrote:I can remember my dad telling me Heath Shuler would never make it in the NFL because he was use to having all day to throw the ball with that O-line he had at Ten.

He is a cowboys fan too

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Thu May 03, 2012 1:06 pm

Mississippiskinsfan2 wrote:
rick301 wrote:

He is a cowboys fan too

Disown him.
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu May 03, 2012 1:17 pm

Mississippiskinsfan2 wrote:
rick301 wrote:

He is a cowboys fan too

He's obviously NOT from Sullivan's Hollow...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu May 03, 2012 9:10 pm

gus frerrotte?

this guy?---> ](*,)

boss, when you put the site together you had frerotte in mind when you made this emoticon didnt you?
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu May 03, 2012 9:46 pm

Should anyone who thinks it's a good idea to head-butt a concrete wall really be giving career advice?
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby VRIEL1 » Fri May 04, 2012 6:03 am

I think both will be great and think its awsome we have two young healthy QB's for the future. God forbid something were to happen to RG3 and we had to rely on Grossman or Beck again. Plan for the worst and hope for the best: if Rag3 gets dinged up hopefully Cousins will know the system well enough to be sent in instead of RG1.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football