Fletcher vs. Seau

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
G4L

Fletcher vs. Seau

Postby Gibbs4Life » Thu May 03, 2012 4:16 pm

Got into an argument at the gym today, this guy said Seau would be first team all-time at LB; I said I'm sure London has more tackles than Junior; he then came back with his smartphone and said Seau has 500 more
Tackles! I said I question your stats, he said ESPN.com man! So I went to espn.com and it actually said London has 250 more than Seau. But NFL.com has totally different numbers and doesn't even count seau's tackles from 92-2000
HAIL

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Thu May 03, 2012 7:16 pm

J. Seau RIP

End of argument for me.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Thu May 03, 2012 10:52 pm

london is never gonna get the accolades he deserves and I'm not sure he ever matched the impact Seau had at his peak, but I feel that the Hall will take a long look at his intensity and his lunch pail attitude and I'm confident Fletcher will be in the hall someday. And that's all that matters.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Fri May 04, 2012 12:18 am

brad7686 wrote:london is never gonna get the accolades he deserves and I'm not sure he ever matched the impact Seau had at his peak, but I feel that the Hall will take a long look at his intensity and his lunch pail attitude and I'm confident Fletcher will be in the hall someday. And that's all that matters.

+1
And his numbers won't hurt him either... if he ever stops playing 8)

Redskin in Canada wrote:J. Seau RIP

End of argument for me.

+1

Should be for G4L too...

Gibbs4Life wrote:Got into an argument at the gym today, this guy said Seau would be first team all-time at LB; I said I'm sure London has more tackles than Junior; he then came back with his smartphone and said Seau has 500 more
Tackles! I said I question your stats, he said ESPN.com man! So I went to espn.com and it actually said London has 250 more than Seau. But NFL.com has totally different numbers and doesn't even count seau's tackles from 92-2000

NFLdotCom went through some changes about a decade or so ago and "lost" a lot of it's data, the NFL has the data but not NFLdotCom they have

NFL.Com wrote:* Tackle data not available before 2001

Anywho...

The FLN (aka ESPN but if I have to type the letters they normally come out... SPEN) has Fletcher with 1782 Total, 1238 Solo, and 544 Assist and Seau with 1526 Total, 1184 Solo, and 342 Assist. That would make the guy at the Gym wrong on EVERY level let alone Junior Seau played 6 years more than London has played to date.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri May 04, 2012 7:43 am

1niksder wrote:Junior Seau played 6 years more than London has played to date.

Wow, that's impressive. Did he miss many games?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri May 04, 2012 8:29 am

1niksder wrote:
brad7686 wrote:london is never gonna get the accolades he deserves and I'm not sure he ever matched the impact Seau had at his peak, but I feel that the Hall will take a long look at his intensity and his lunch pail attitude and I'm confident Fletcher will be in the hall someday. And that's all that matters.

+1
And his numbers won't hurt him either... if he ever stops playing 8)

Redskin in Canada wrote:J. Seau RIP

End of argument for me.

+1

Should be for G4L too...

Gibbs4Life wrote:Got into an argument at the gym today, this guy said Seau would be first team all-time at LB; I said I'm sure London has more tackles than Junior; he then came back with his smartphone and said Seau has 500 more

NFLdotCom went through some changes about a decade or so ago and "lost" a lot of it's data, the NFL has the data but not NFLdotCom they have

NFL.Com wrote:* Tackle data not available before 2001

Anywho...

The FLN (aka ESPN but if I have to type the letters they normally come out... SPEN) has Fletcher with 1782 Total, 1238 Solo, and 544 Assist and Seau with 1526 Total, 1184 Solo, and 342 Assist. That would make the guy at the Gym wrong on EVERY level let alone Junior Seau played 6 years more than London has played to date.

... and from pro-football reference:

Fletch = 1242 and 545 and Fletch seems to be getting BETTER!!

Jr. = 1524 and 325 and really started tailing off after his 11th year.

They caused about the same amount of havoc.

Fletch = 18 picks, 17 FF, 34 sacks. (played inside for more FF??)

Jr. = 18 picks, 11 FF, 56.5sacks. (played outside for more sacks??)

Both great. Imagine having both.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri May 04, 2012 9:40 am

I agree with most of what you're saying, but not sure I share your confidence that Fletcher will ever be a Hall of Famer. I wonder when its time to take a vote on him if those voters will remember just how good he was vs. how high profile he was.

Those were interesting stats in the the Seau v. Fletcher comparison btw. Thanks for posting. They really say a lot about Fletcher. Fletcher has put up similar numbers to a guy widely agreed to be one of the best LBs of his generation.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri May 04, 2012 10:01 am

the thread title is a little misleading

Fletcher and Seau are both future HOF players - they don't 'compete' with anything

Both played the game at a VERY high level for different teams for more years than most
always look on the bright side of life

Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri May 04, 2012 10:54 am

SkinsJock wrote:the thread title is a little misleading

Fletcher and Seau are both future HOF players - they don't 'compete' with anything

Both played the game at a VERY high level for different teams for more years than most

Its only misleading if you're a complete nitpicker. The guy is obviously saying "Fletcher COMPARED TO Seau" not "Fletcher IN COMPETITION with Seau".

And if we're going to nitpick, then let's point out that there is no guarantee either of these guys are "future HoF players". Unless they changed the rules this year, a bunch of voters have to get together and agree on that. Right, Cris Carter?

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Fri May 04, 2012 11:30 am

I think Fletcher is going to have a difficult (an unjustifiably difficult) time getting into the HOF. :(

Just a hunch based on what the HOF voters have tended to do in the past.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri May 04, 2012 11:31 am

^^ OK - I just see a player versus another as an evaluation of what they achieved by comparison

and there's no way you can compare at the level both of these guys' played

they BOTH played the game at a great level for many years

when you get to be as great a player as these 2 - all that needs is to acknowledged is they are BOTH great LBs

and both SHOULD be in the HOF
always look on the bright side of life

Hail to the Redskins

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Fri May 04, 2012 1:05 pm

London Fletcher will be in the hall of fame.
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri May 04, 2012 1:06 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:I think Fletcher is going to have a difficult (an unjustifiably difficult) time getting into the HOF. :(

Just a hunch based on what the HOF voters have tended to do in the past.

From a pure betting standpoint I would bet against Fletch getting in.

My 2 cents

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football