Shanahan confirms Griffin is the starter

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun May 06, 2012 1:23 pm

Shanahan confirmed at his press conference that Griffin will run the first-team offense when the whole team gets together, and he said Griffin is ahead of where the coaches expected him to be right now.

“He’s great,” Shanahan said of Griffin. “I don’t think we had one bust with a play call or coverages the whole minicamp.”

Still, Griffin says he plans to prove he deserves to be the No. 1 quarterback, and not just because he was the No. 2 overall pick.

“Even if you are supposed to be ‘the guy,’ you still start off at the bottom of the barrel,” Griffin said. “Have to work your way up.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... his-elway/

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sun May 06, 2012 3:04 pm

This deserves its own thread. ;)

I get all the "start off at the bottom of the barrel" and "work your way up" stuff. But what RGIII neglects to mention is that our barrel is basically empty to begin with. :lol: He's obviously not having any trouble rising to the top.

Still, you can't fault him for his attitude and mindset.

Btw, this:

"I don't think we had one bust with a play call or coverages the whole minicamp."

=P~
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun May 06, 2012 3:14 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
I get all the "start off at the bottom of the barrel" and "work your way up" stuff. But what RGIII neglects to mention is that our barrel is basically empty to begin with. He's obviously not having any trouble rising to the top.

LMAO!

I think RGIII is trying to change his "selfish" image. :lol:

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sun May 06, 2012 3:17 pm

Red_One43 wrote:I think RGIII is trying to change his "selfish" image. :lol:

Too late! He's a skinny, selfish midget that no one likes. Obviously a risky draft pick (typical for Snyder!) and one that's very likely to fail spectacularly.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Sun May 06, 2012 3:18 pm

Actually, it's very hard to rise from the bottom of an empty barrel. Nothing to float on, you see.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun May 06, 2012 3:20 pm

Shanahan: RG3 is the starter, period

It wasn’t a surprise, but it was still headline news.

Mike Shanahan said today that rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III will be the Redskins' starting quarterback when the OTA's start next week.

“We’re going to put him on the first team,” said Shanahan of Griffin, who was the second pick in last week's draft. "He is the starter, period."

Shanahan indicated that they planned to put Griffin straight into the starter’s role as soon as they made the decision to trade in the draft to get him. “Any time you pick a player with the second pick of the draft and you give up two No. 1’s and a No. 2 to move up four spots you’ve got a game plan in mind,” he said.

Because the Redskins gave up all of that to be able to secure the rights to the Heisman Trophy winning quarterback, it makes sense for him to be the starter. But the old-school approach would be for the rookie to have to work his way up the depth chart and perhaps even sit out the first part of the season to learn the intricacies of the position. And Shanahan is known for having an old-school approach at times.

But not in this case. Shanahan went with the more recent approach of letting the new kid learn on the job. Every quarterback taken in the top five of the draft since 2008--Matt Ryan, Mark Sanchez, Matthew Stafford, Sam Bradford, and Cam Newton--was his team’s starter the first game of his rookie season.

Shanahan was effusive in his praise for his new quarterback. “You can see what an incredible athlete he is. I was impressed because on the first day we didn’t have one bust with a formation or play call,” he said. “We’re going to adjust our system to what he feels comfortable and we’ll watch him grow.”

Griffin will be getting plenty of work to see what he feels comfortable with. Shanahan said that when the team started on-field drills on May 14, Griffin will work on one field with first-team offense running plays against the second-team defense. He will get about 80 percent of the snaps there with Jonathan Crompton, who was on the practice squad last year, will get the rest. On another field, the second offense will go up against the starting defense with veteran Rex Grossman and rookie Kirk Cousins each taking about half of the snaps.

http://www.realredskins.com/rich-tandle ... eriod.html
Last edited by Red_One43 on Sun May 06, 2012 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Sun May 06, 2012 3:23 pm

Shanahan confirms that water is wet.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby HarleyHog » Sun May 06, 2012 3:34 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Shanahan confirms that water is wet.

Not just wet, but clear, cool, and inviting. With blue skies overhead and fragrant tropical breezes gently wafting by. Oh yeah, and hula dancers laying out the mother of all luaus.

Can the bandwagon be fitted with pontoons?
Everybody funny, now you funny too ...

"The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have." -Vince Lombardi

(BTW . . . we have RGIII now)

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun May 06, 2012 4:07 pm

ASHBURN, Va. -- No sense fooling around with a talent like Robert Griffin III. Barely a week after the draft, the Washington Redskins are already proclaiming the Heisman Trophy winner their No. 1 quarterback.

Saying that Griffin has the ability to do things no one else has done in the NFL, coach Mike Shanahan wrapped up a rookie minicamp Sunday by putting RGIII squarely atop the depth chart.

"He's the starter. Period," Shanahan said.

"We're going to adjust our system to what he feels comfortable with," Shanahan said, "and we'll watch him grow and we'll do what we feel like he can do and what he does the best. ... One thing the NFL is not used to is a quarterback with his type of speed and his type of throwing ability, so I think we can do some things that people haven't done."

"I can't come in flamboyantly, and I don't plan to," he said. "Come in and earn the guys' respect. Even if they say you've already got it, you've still got to go out and earn it."

The selection of Cousins raised eyebrows around the league -- no team had taken two quarterbacks in the first four rounds since 1989 -- but Griffin said he was given advanced notice from Shanahan that the Redskins were looking at making such a move to give the team solid, young depth at the position. Griffin and Cousins roomed together at the team hotel this weekend and will likely do so again at training camp.

"We went over the playbook together. There's no issues there," Griffin said. "We're both out there trying to get better, so we're cool. We ate a burrito together."

"Not the same burrito," he added with a laugh. "Just to clear that up."

According to Shanahan, Griffin was everything a coach could love during the five practices that made up the minicamp. The rookie had studied in advance and arrived with a rudimentary knowledge of the playbook.

"You can see what an incredible athlete he is," Shanahan said. "I was impressed because the first day we didn't have one bust with a formation or a play call, and I don't think I ever had that in any minicamp that I've been involved with."

Check out the video in the link below

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/78968 ... kins-day-1

Hog

Postby ferryrich » Sun May 06, 2012 4:40 pm

Red_One43 wrote:
Griffin said. "We're both out there trying to get better, so we're cool. We ate a burrito together."

That bit had me giggling!

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun May 06, 2012 4:49 pm

ferryrich wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:
Griffin said. "We're both out there trying to get better, so we're cool. We ate a burrito together."

That bit had me giggling!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj3VphK9AMk

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Sun May 06, 2012 5:52 pm

Sweet....season can't get here quick enough.....heck i am even planning on going to at least the prre season home opener vs the colts....
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

swine

Postby Prowl33 » Sun May 06, 2012 9:44 pm

He also mentioned to the media that he has never once in his coaching career seen a rookie know the book that good that quick, or miss any plays or coverages his first camp.

Hog

Postby the poster » Sun May 06, 2012 10:25 pm

I should hope he's at least the starter from day 1 ......3f first rd draft picks to sit the bench?

they've paraded him around since the draft n such a way that I would hope even redskin fans themselves are a little bit embarrassed by.

I mean...they had the guy in a suit come running out of the tunnel between 2 rows of cheerleaders a couple of days ago. did the colts do that too? did the giants do that when they drafted Eli? I dunno, it just looked very, um, Dan Snyder-redskin like.

they got him singing hail to the redskins in front of 19,000 fans (which was more than actually in the stands at the last home game..a modern day redskins tradition: April is bigger than December)

Dan Snyder does it again. football fans are people. and people are consumers. this whole ordeal is straight out of fight club. you people are NOt your khakis. you are NOT your furniture.

keep talking bout rg3 amazing arm and how you dislike the "cowpukes" or "she gals"

I see the matrix. I see the surface that you can't see. I see the marketing that sits on top of the sport. of course, it's a little easier to see when there's a former advertising maven running your team with all the subtly of a community bedpan.

hes buying his way back into your precious hearts again! his January 2004, part II. he needs it to work this time. no wonder why he's "relying" on him.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Sun May 06, 2012 10:31 pm

If you reply to it, you're just as bad The Troll in my book.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football