Not on Gano

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Not on Gano

Postby 1niksder » Sun May 13, 2012 12:55 am

Blogging the Beast did a film breakdown of all 5 FG attempts Gano had blocked last season and ultimately decided none of them were his fault.

For the most part it wasn't the O-line that was the problem IMHO it was defensive line.men being asked to on the interior of the offensive.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

FanFromAnnapolis

Re: Not on Gano

Postby Irn-Bru » Sun May 13, 2012 9:19 am

Impossible. If he was good, they wouldn't have been blocked. QED.

But let's say that we don't count those attempts against him. That'd put his FG made/attempted numbers at 31/36, or 86%, a top-10 number.

But had those 5 not been blocked, maybe he'd have missed some of them. Let's say he only made 2 or 3 of the 5 total. Then you're looking at a season total somewhere between 80% and 83% — not great, but nearly identical to the man Shanahan has brought in to give Gano competition.

I'm still pro- keeping Gano around, for all of the reasons I was last year (his perfect streak during the last several games helped him out a lot, IMO). I hope he wins the competition.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sun May 13, 2012 9:34 am

He's still young, too. He's getting better. I hope he wins the competition as well. He could be our kicker for the next decade.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun May 13, 2012 10:54 am

Irn-Bru wrote:

Impossible. If he was good, they wouldn't have been blocked. QED.

But let's say that we don't count those attempts against him. That'd put his FG made/attempted numbers at 31/36, or 86%, a top-10 number.

But had those 5 not been blocked, maybe he'd have missed some of them. Let's say he only made 2 or 3 of the 5 total. Then you're looking at a season total somewhere between 80% and 83% — not great, but nearly identical to the man Shanahan has brought in to give Gano competition.

I'm still pro- keeping Gano around, for all of the reasons I was last year (his perfect streak during the last several games helped him out a lot, IMO). I hope he wins the competition.

Not sure which parts of the above are sarcasm.

I am a Gano defender. I easily saw none were his fault live. They were jailbreaks. I blame coaching for the blocks more than anything.

If we do this for all kickers Gano is at 86.11% which actually puts him at 18th though that's just one doink from top-10 - so it is a top-10-esque number.

If they aren't blocked I guess he figures to make 86.11% of them - you know, 4 or 5.

From the link:

If you were new to football and watched every Redskins game this season, you would probably think that blocked FG’s are common. They are not. In 2011, there were 35 blocked FG’s or PAT’s. The Redskins accounted for 6 of them (Yes, they also had a PAT blocked). In other words, they were on the wrong end of 17% of the NFL’s blocked FG’s/PAT’s last year. In fact, one in every 8.2 FG attempts were blocked! That is absolutely embarrassing.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sun May 13, 2012 11:42 am

Just because the FGs were blocked doesn't mean he would have made them. I look at his entire body of work. The season prior he was awful too. My problem with Gano is not talent, or ability (he consistently booms kicks in practice and training camp). But, he seems to crumble when it counts. He's like the Tony Romo of kickers, a talented choke artist. As a result, I find it tough to rely on him for fear that we see the Shawshank Redemption when we least expect it, but need it most.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun May 13, 2012 12:10 pm

The Hogster wrote:Just because the FGs were blocked doesn't mean he would have made them.

We know bro.

The Hogster wrote:
I look at his entire body of work. The season prior he was awful too. My problem with Gano is not talent, or ability (he consistently booms kicks in practice and training camp). But, he seems to crumble when it counts. He's like the Tony Romo of kickers, a talented choke artist. As a result, I find it tough to rely on him for fear that we see the Shawshank Redemption when we least expect it, but need it most.

Agreed. I hope he can overcome that.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby skinpride1 » Sun May 13, 2012 12:30 pm

Dark monk I love the quote on the bottom ....what a tard poster poser loser lol. Yep Cleveland is where he went lol.
RG3....Super Man....check out my socks!!!

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun May 13, 2012 1:14 pm

Red_One43 wrote:

I looked at Rackers career record and in Cincy, his first two years, he was in the 57 and 60 pct. He has one good year and goes to 83%.
He goes to Arizona and in the next two years goes 75 and 76% in better home field conditions. He hits 95% in 2005. Then hits consecutive 76% in 2006 and 70% in 2007. Arizona goes to the domed stadium in 2006. From 2008 - 2011, Rackers finally puts together 4 straight 80+% seasons.

It took Neil 9 seasons to become a consistent 80% kicker and that was with a domed home field.

I voted that Gano would win the job in the preseason in a previous thread:

http://www.thehogs.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37965

1. For some kickers it takes awhile for them to become consistent. Rackers is one of them. Gano is showing improvement.

2. Though Rackers has had a couple of extraordinary years, his overall work doesn't place him as one of the NFL kickers

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1100 ... ers/page/9

3. Rackers only had one good season in Cincy when he was part of a time with an outdoor stadium.

4. Rackers is 35 and Gano is 25. How many times, have we taken someone elses' reject and not gotten out the best out of them.

5. Gano shines in preseason.

For me, Rackers has an very uphill battle to unseat Gano. I say it won't happen.

I do agree with Hogster, that Gano not being a clutch kicker is a big concern, but in year three of the Shanaplan, not a big enough concern vs the possible maturation of a young kicker.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sun May 13, 2012 1:22 pm

DarthMonk wrote:Not sure which parts of the above are sarcasm.

Only the first line. I agree with you that we should assume that he'd have made something like 3 or 4 of the kicks that were blocked. (There's a decent chance he'd have made all 5, as all but one of the kicks were relatively short, and he was 4/6 from 50+ yards out.)

And that does put his season total at a respectable percentage. Between looking at that and his whole body of work up to this point, it's pretty obvious that the man is improving very well.

Hence, I want to keep him around. We know what Neil Rackers will do, but we also know he will only be doing it for another 2-3 years.

If Gano loses the competition, then so be it. But I hope he wins. His career up to this point — again, looking at the entire arc — suggests it would be a mistake to let him go.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun May 13, 2012 6:50 pm

Hopefully Gano is our kicker for many years to come
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Mon May 14, 2012 11:02 am

Gano is our kicker. There is nothing wrong with picking up an extra kicker though to give him some competition.

Hopefully with RG3 we can plan on Gano only having to kick PAT's instead of clutch field goals late in the game. Positive thinking fellas...
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon May 14, 2012 11:15 am

ATX_Skins wrote:Gano is our kicker. There is nothing wrong with picking up an extra kicker though to give him some competition.

Hopefully with RG3 we can plan on Gano only having to kick PAT's instead of clutch field goals late in the game. Positive thinking fellas...

I agree - hopefully he will respond to the 'competition' from Rackers

Gano has done well but he needs to step it up AND he needs to be more reliable

this kid has a good leg - hopefully we can see him kicking here for years

AND

hopefully, most of his kicking is after we've scored :lol:

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon May 14, 2012 11:22 am

He made the record for longest redskins field goal and people want to cut him when the line gave up six blocks? Hopefully he has another 100% preseason
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon May 14, 2012 11:37 am

there may be some that want Gano to be replaced

but

all that most of us want is for the kicker to be really reliable ...

not

just be a really good kicker

the competition can't hurt and if it helps Gano, so much the better :)

Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Mon May 14, 2012 1:43 pm

He might even learn something from Rackers....

:)
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football