Not on Gano

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon May 14, 2012 1:59 pm

SouthLondonRedskin wrote:He might even learn something from Rackers.... :)

tempting :P
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

Hog

Postby TimSkin » Mon May 14, 2012 5:14 pm

I just really hope we don't pull another Akers with Gano and end up keeping Rackers while Gano goes to Philly after there kicker breaks a leg and goes on to have a great career.......... :roll: :puke:
HTTR!!!!!!!!!!!!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon May 14, 2012 5:21 pm

TimSkin wrote:I just really hope we don't pull another Akers with Gano and end up keeping Rackers while Gano goes to Philly after there kicker breaks a leg and goes on to have a great career.......... :roll: :puke:

Akers only attempted 2 kicks for the Skins before being released. Gano has been here for several years. Not the same. I hope he proves that he's able to make the leap from potential star, to actual star.

As of right now, he's got too much Romo-itis for my taste.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon May 14, 2012 6:32 pm

The Hogster wrote:Akers only attempted 2 kicks for the Skins before being released.

Yes. 3rd game of 1998 in Seattle:

On their next opportunity, the Redskins drove 63 yards in 13 plays only to come up empty. Allen rushed for four first downs to get deep into Seattle territory, but right tackle Shar Pourdanesh was penalized for a false start. Throwing out of bounds under pressure, Green was called for intentional grounding, and Aker's 48-yard field goal attempt sailed wide right.

Akers missed another field goal – wide left from 49 yards – to end a drive in which Allen carried on four of seven plays.

He made 2 extra points. He also got injured. We released him in 1999.

Some other interesting facts: In his best season Akers hit on 88.2%. What he has done amazingly well is hardly ever miss from inside 40 yards. He's 207-221 or 93.6%. He's also been fairly clutch - it seems. He was kicker of the decade. I think last year was his best. He was 7-9 from 50+ and was 44-52 overall.

Gano has an Akers-esque leg. He's just getting good. If he gets beaten out I won't cry. If we let him go for Rackers after a tie in camp I'll be disappointed. If he stays but misses more than one important kick inside 40 I'll be ready to say good bye. He's not as much of a choker as some would make him out to be. I've seen him make clutch kicks from 50+ only to have to retry because of a TO or penalty. Then a game he just "won" for us turned into one he "choked away."

I hope he gets another shot with us. He's young and could be very good for a long time. I hope it's with us.

PS - How about we don't get 1 of every 8 kicks blocked????!!!!!!

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon May 14, 2012 7:49 pm

SouthLondonRedskin wrote:He might even learn something from Rackers....

:)

Something like this, maybe? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZghatdM8mo
Last edited by Red_One43 on Mon May 14, 2012 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Not on Gano

Postby yupchagee » Mon May 14, 2012 8:45 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:

Impossible. If he was good, they wouldn't have been blocked. QED.

But let's say that we don't count those attempts against him. That'd put his FG made/attempted numbers at 31/36, or 86%, a top-10 number.

But had those 5 not been blocked, maybe he'd have missed some of them. Let's say he only made 2 or 3 of the 5 total. Then you're looking at a season total somewhere between 80% and 83% — not great, but nearly identical to the man Shanahan has brought in to give Gano competition.

I'm still pro- keeping Gano around, for all of the reasons I was last year (his perfect streak during the last several games helped him out a lot, IMO). I hope he wins the competition.

Not sure which parts of the above are sarcasm.

I am a Gano defender. I easily saw none were his fault live. They were jailbreaks. I blame coaching for the blocks more than anything.If we do this for all kickers Gano is at 86.11% which actually puts him at 18th though that's just one doink from top-10 - so it is a top-10-esque number.

If they aren't blocked I guess he figures to make 86.11% of them - you know, 4 or 5.

From the link:

If you were new to football and watched every Redskins game this season, you would probably think that blocked FG’s are common. They are not. In 2011, there were 35 blocked FG’s or PAT’s. The Redskins accounted for 6 of them (Yes, they also had a PAT blocked). In other words, they were on the wrong end of 17% of the NFL’s blocked FG’s/PAT’s last year. In fact, one in every 8.2 FG attempts were blocked! That is absolutely embarrassing.

DarthMonk

+1
but 1 block was a botched hold.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon May 14, 2012 10:00 pm

Red_One43 wrote:

1) Fake

2) Funny how in the comments the Texans fans call him a choker. Wow.

3) Fun!
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Sat May 19, 2012 11:13 pm

I am not a Rackers fan....and think Gano deserves another year to show what he can do. A few reasons.....

1. Age, Gano is 10 years younger than Rackers....so if he continues to develop, he could be our kicker for the next decade.

2. Looking at the last two seasons for Gano, he was called upon to try 34 kicks from 40+ yards. Rackers had 10 less attempts from that distance during that time. My conclusion would be that the Texans offense was able to get closer to red zone consistently before stalling, and requiring Rackers to kick. Our offense would sputter farther out, requiring a longer Gano kick for us to salvage points from the drive.

3. Rackers made 50% of his kicks last season from 40-49 yards while Gano made almost 73% of kicks from that range. Rackers, however, was far more consistent than Gano from 30-39 yards.

4. From 20-29 yards, it was pretty much even with Rackers being perfect at 14/14, and Gano missing one at 14/15.

5. Both missed one on PAT's....Gano 25/26 and Rackers 39/40

6. Gano showed a 7% overall increase from 10 to 11. Rackers had a decline of about 6% in those two years (though, to be fair, his overall average was still 9% above GAno's). Hopefully Gano's percentage will increase by a similiar number this season.....

So, am hoping that Gano will win out in this competition. Also think that having an offense that penetrates deeper into opposition territory before requiring a 3 point attempt could help his average as well.
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sat May 19, 2012 11:46 pm

rskin72 wrote:I am not a Rackers fan....and think Gano deserves another year to show what he can do. A few reasons.....

1. Age, Gano is 10 years younger than Rackers....so if he continues to develop, he could be our kicker for the next decade.

2. Looking at the last two seasons for Gano, he was called upon to try 34 kicks from 40+ yards. Rackers had 10 less attempts from that distance during that time. My conclusion would be that the Texans offense was able to get closer to red zone consistently before stalling, and requiring Rackers to kick. Our offense would sputter farther out, requiring a longer Gano kick for us to salvage points from the drive.

3. Rackers made 50% of his kicks last season from 40-49 yards while Gano made almost 73% of kicks from that range. Rackers, however, was far more consistent than Gano from 30-39 yards.

4. From 20-29 yards, it was pretty much even with Rackers being perfect at 14/14, and Gano missing one at 14/15.

5. Both missed one on PAT's....Gano 25/26 and Rackers 39/40

6. Gano showed a 7% overall increase from 10 to 11. Rackers had a decline of about 6% in those two years (though, to be fair, his overall average was still 9% above GAno's). Hopefully Gano's percentage will increase by a similiar number this season.....

So, am hoping that Gano will win out in this competition. Also think that having an offense that penetrates deeper into opposition territory before requiring a 3 point attempt could help his average as well.

Here's a 7th reason for you - Rackers' home stadiums were domed stadiums the last two years. The Texan's stadium is a lot easier to kick in than FedEx.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon May 21, 2012 7:41 am

Gano needs to do better - Rackers provides competition

the only way that Rackers is kicking here is by showing that he's a better kicker

that is all that matters :roll:

Gano get's it :wink:
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Mon May 21, 2012 9:04 am

Red_One43 wrote:

Lol.

Love the comments below...
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football