RGIII's Baylor Teammate Says Team Had No Playbook

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sun May 13, 2012 1:34 am

Kendall Wright, Robert Griffin III's top receiver at Baylor, said that the Bears did not use a playbook. Seriously. Here's the quote via The Tennessean.

"I think we are the only team that didn't have a playbook," Wright said of Baylor. "It is kind of a different kind of learning deal. We see it visually and we run it, and it just sticks with us when you are out there running it."

Wright went on to explain that Baylor strictly used hand signals in their 100 percent no huddle offense. He did contend that his college offense had over 300 plays, just none of them were ever written down.

I wonder how you have over 300 plays and no playbook :hmm:
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Re: RGIII's Baylor Teammate Says Team Had No Playbook

Postby Kilmer72 » Sun May 13, 2012 7:07 am

Interesting. Especially the writers opinion on how often they would run no huddle.

DarthMonk

Re: RGIII's Baylor Teammate Says Team Had No Playbook

Postby DarthMonk » Sun May 13, 2012 8:32 am

1niksder wrote:RGIII's Baylor Teammate Says Team Had No Playbook

Kendall Wright, Robert Griffin III's top receiver at Baylor, said that the Bears did not use a playbook. Seriously. Here's the quote via The Tennessean.

"I think we are the only team that didn't have a playbook," Wright said of Baylor. "It is kind of a different kind of learning deal. We see it visually and we run it, and it just sticks with us when you are out there running it."

Wright went on to explain that Baylor strictly used hand signals in their 100 percent no huddle offense. He did contend that his college offense had over 300 plays, just none of them were ever written down.

I wonder how you have over 300 plays and no playbook :hmm:

I thought this was pretty old news. Still pretty cool though.

April 25 WP Link

Baylor, in fact, didn’t have a physical playbook. The Bears’ offensive players learned plays in meeting rooms and quickly installed them on the practice field. “We would install anywhere from four to eight new plays a week,” said Philip Montgomery, a Baylor offensive coordinator.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby skinpride1 » Sun May 13, 2012 12:18 pm

Hopefully this is a sign of how smart Rg3 really is and how quick he will get the skins offense down.
RG3....Super Man....check out my socks!!!

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Tue May 15, 2012 8:35 pm

skinpride1 wrote:Hopefully this is a sign of how smart Rg3 really is and how quick he will get the skins offense down.

first off, he went to Baylor. That's tough in its own right. Second, he graduated in 3 years with a GREAT GPA but I don't remember what it was. He was accepted into their Law School and considered not going pro to do that and play his final year. One thing I know for sure is the dude is smart. How that Brain will translate to the NFL level is yet to be seen but in the classroom, he's got it.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed May 16, 2012 1:44 am

Well maybe we need to go without a playbook then. We had a 700 page playbook with Al Saunders and got NIL. Spurrier had plays, nothin.

If Baylor didn't have a playbook, then we need to start drawing in the dirt. Whatever works.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby FanofallthatisGibbs » Wed May 16, 2012 4:03 am

No College Playbook = Fustercluck in the NFL

More power to him if he can memorize the playbook, but certainly the key to success will be gameplanning week in and week out. The best teams understand the subtle (and not so subtle) strengths and weaknesses, and they make weekly adjustments for them. Thus the "one week at a time" mantra that everyone seems to recite.

Hog

Postby FanofallthatisGibbs » Wed May 16, 2012 4:08 am

By the way, when effective, there is nothing more beautiful than watching a no huddle offense at work. It's like a surgeon operating in the ER.

I would love to see the Redskins employ this more in the 1st half of games. When a lead is built, sit on the clock and grind out the win with a heavy dose of Helu and Hightower.

A man can dream...

Hog

Postby rick301 » Wed May 16, 2012 6:48 am

FanofallthatisGibbs wrote:By the way, when effective, there is nothing more beautiful than watching a no huddle offense at work. It's like a surgeon operating in the ER.

I would love to see the Redskins employ this more in the 1st half of games. When a lead is built, sit on the clock and grind out the win with a heavy dose of Helu and Hightower.

A man can dream...

and for good measure throw in a few dart passes to Cooley, Davis or Santana with an occasional deep pass to keep the D honest

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed May 16, 2012 8:01 am

:shock: This kid is great

just more proof that he's everything we need at QB :lol:
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Wed May 16, 2012 11:52 am

This can be good or bad. Good in the sense that he has the ability to adjust quickly, was athletic enough so that the offense was more effective going on pure instinct, and was able to read defenses well.

It can be bad in the sense that perhaps he was one of those QBs who can't digest 100s of plays, doesn't perform well with timing patterns, and just wasn't very good with structure.

I honestly, don't know which is which -- although it could have just been the way Baylor has always run their offense; but this is the NFL -- not college. You need playbooks, you need structure. Regardless, RGIII better be working hard because he has to make a SERIOUS transition. His college days are going to be NOTHING like his pro ones. I seriously question how well he is going to make the transition -- he has all the skills, but the only thing that is going to be the same between college and pro for RGIII is the fact that he throws a ball. His WRs, offensive structure (timing patterns, time in pocket), footwork, larger ball (and his hand-size is on the small side), pro-style from spread, behind center from shotgun, huddle from no-huddle, no defense league to NFC east, ability to easily run the ball up the middle to having 4.4 speed LBs ready to pounce on you at after running 2 yards, etc. etc. etc.

This transition is going to be tough. I hope he understands that -- and when I say understand, I mean truly understanding. He is saying all the right things, but RGIII is a very smart guy, he knows what people want to hear. I hope he is actually listening to himself.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed May 16, 2012 12:39 pm

markshark84 wrote:It can be bad in the sense that perhaps he was one of those QBs who can't digest 100s of plays, doesn't perform well with timing patterns, and just wasn't very good with structure.

Their offense consisted of 300+ plays...

I don't see how this is an issue, that they didn't have a physical book. 300 plays is 300 plays. A QB with a playbook can't take it on the field, the most you get is a wrist-band. He memorized 300 plays, what's the issue?
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed May 16, 2012 1:35 pm

markshark84 wrote:This can be good or bad. Good in the sense that he has the ability to adjust quickly, was athletic enough so that the offense was more effective going on pure instinct, and was able to read defenses well.

It can be bad in the sense that perhaps he was one of those QBs who can't digest 100s of plays, doesn't perform well with timing patterns, and just wasn't very good with structure.

I honestly, don't know which is which -- although it could have just been the way Baylor has always run their offense; but this is the NFL -- not college. You need playbooks, you need structure. Regardless, RGIII better be working hard because he has to make a SERIOUS transition. His college days are going to be NOTHING like his pro ones. I seriously question how well he is going to make the transition -- he has all the skills, but the only thing that is going to be the same between college and pro for RGIII is the fact that he throws a ball. His WRs, offensive structure (timing patterns, time in pocket), footwork, larger ball (and his hand-size is on the small side), pro-style from spread, behind center from shotgun, huddle from no-huddle, no defense league to NFC east, ability to easily run the ball up the middle to having 4.4 speed LBs ready to pounce on you at after running 2 yards, etc. etc. etc.

This transition is going to be tough. I hope he understands that -- and when I say understand, I mean truly understanding. He is saying all the right things, but RGIII is a very smart guy, he knows what people want to hear. I hope he is actually listening to himself.

you are going to be really surprised - that's for sure :lol:

RGIII will take some time but there are few (IF ANY) people that really know about QBs that do not predict greatness for RGIII

why the doubt ?? :roll:

you really should be looking forward to the next few years watching RGIII become one of the best QBs to ever wear B&G
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed May 16, 2012 5:37 pm

markshark84 wrote:This can be good or bad. Good in the sense that he has the ability to adjust quickly, was athletic enough so that the offense was more effective going on pure instinct, and was able to read defenses well.

You seem to be actually putting energy into being negative. Wow.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Wed May 16, 2012 6:02 pm

markshark84 wrote:This transition is going to be tough. I hope he understands that -- and when I say understand, I mean truly understanding. He is saying all the right things, but RGIII is a very smart guy, he knows what people want to hear. I hope he is actually listening to himself.

Hey Mark, check out what Shanny said about RGIII after only one mini camp. What are you basing your opinion on? You were negative about the RGIII before the draft and you continue to be even though the positive evidence is out there for even you to see.

Mike Shanahan on RGIII:
“He’s great,” Shanahan said of Griffin. “I don’t think we had one bust with a play call or coverages the whole minicamp.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... his-elway/

According to Shanahan, Griffin was everything a coach could love during the five practices that made up the minicamp. The rookie had studied in advance and arrived with a rudimentary knowledge of the playbook.

"You can see what an incredible athlete he is," Shanahan said. "I was impressed because the first day we didn't have one bust with a formation or a play call, and I don't think I ever had that in any minicamp that I've been involved with."

Check out the video in the link below

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/78968 ... kins-day-1

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football