RGIII's Baylor Teammate Says Team Had No Playbook

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:05 pm

DarthMonk wrote:Image
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:31 am

some corrections were needed - sorry if this was not what you intended trey :wink:

Countertrey wrote:There's no doubt, expectations are high ... at the same time, some fans here are hoping for a Newton like season, but most are expecting a more realistic season with rookie mistakes.

I'm one of those that thinks we'll see glimpses of real greatness
I think that we'll see a huge improvement in our offense but considering what we had that's not so hard to expect

This is probably the most talented college quarterback ever to put on B&G. He will have pressure ... it comes with it. I think he'll take care of business, and be fine... real fine... I'm standing on only one side of the fence... and think I'll end up on the right one.

me too - this kid will make some mistakes and there will be adjustments but ..

I doubt that any Redskins fan or NFL fan is going to be surprised too much by how good this kid will be this year

maybe he will not have as great a season as Newton had but I doubt he'll let us down too much

Cam Newton is heading for stardom - but ... so is RGIII

the future looks great for the B&G - give RGIII a year to get it together and the players and coaches around him to adjust and the sky's the limit

there's no doubt that it will take time ...... but it's going to happen :D

HTTR
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:13 am

I believe that you have failed to recognize that there is a, not so subltle, difference between "expectations" and "hopes". Pragmatic fans recognize that Newton captured lightening in a bottle last year. Rooks just don't have seasons like that. OTOH, there was simply no reason for the Panthers to pull back on the reigns...

There is a structure that will allow MS to reduce the risks... be a bit more conservative with his rookie, and work on creating a comprehensive weapon that will be carefully ripened... in a manner that can take full advantage of all facets of the Redskins' game... including, I believe, a superior defense that can protect a lead and give the offense solid field position.

Frankly, I just don't see Griffin having the same kinds of opportunities as Newton had... He simply won't be in a position, as often, of NEEDING to make plays. Because the Redskins are a better overall team, you won't see the same level and frequency of explosive performances... because the team will be focusing on using clock, not scoring quickly.

Does that make sense? Newton was frequently in a position to make big plays, BECAUSE the Panthers were in a position to NEED a big play.

I just don't think that will happen anywhere near as frequently with the Redskins during Griffin's rook season.

I believe that they will score points... and will be able to control the ball. In order to best take advantage of quick strike capabilities, you MUST also be able to control the clock... and that will be Shanahan's priority. You will likely see Shanahan try to get a 2 TD lead, then go to a ball control offense. You know this is true, because he has dictated that Haslett create an extremely aggressive defense... the kind that's designed to get the ball back... in good field position. Such a defense uses massive amounts of energy... and needs to be rested, in order to survive 4 quarters.

That is not the same as saying you won't see explosive offensive plays... I believe there will be plenty... but they will more frequently occur because opposing defenses are taking risks, in an attempt to get the ball back for their offenses... and, not because the offense is running at wide open throttle (as Carolina's did so often, last year)

I have expectations of a solid first year performance... but... I would LOVE to see a season with one OMG play after another. Griffin is certainly capable. But, if we see it often, it's most likely because we have to... and, while it's exciting, it's not necessarily good. The formula for winning is still... Get the ball... keep the ball... move the ball... score... get the ball back. For the last part to work... the D needs time to rest. Repeated quick strikes keep the D on the field. That's not always good.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:34 am

^^ I give you a true voice of reason amongst a sea of incredible expectation.
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:22 am

OH MY, trey - WORD

totally agree :up:
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:52 pm

Countertrey wrote:I believe that you have failed to recognize that there is a, not so subltle, difference between "expectations" and "hopes". Pragmatic fans recognize that Newton captured lightening in a bottle last year. Rooks just don't have seasons like that. OTOH, there was simply no reason for the Panthers to pull back on the reigns...

There is a structure that will allow MS to reduce the risks... be a bit more conservative with his rookie, and work on creating a comprehensive weapon that will be carefully ripened... in a manner that can take full advantage of all facets of the Redskins' game... including, I believe, a superior defense that can protect a lead and give the offense solid field position.

Frankly, I just don't see Griffin having the same kinds of opportunities as Newton had... He simply won't be in a position, as often, of NEEDING to make plays. Because the Redskins are a better overall team, you won't see the same level and frequency of explosive performances... because the team will be focusing on using clock, not scoring quickly.

Does that make sense? Newton was frequently in a position to make big plays, BECAUSE the Panthers were in a position to NEED a big play.

I just don't think that will happen anywhere near as frequently with the Redskins during Griffin's rook season.

I believe that they will score points... and will be able to control the ball. In order to best take advantage of quick strike capabilities, you MUST also be able to control the clock... and that will be Shanahan's priority. You will likely see Shanahan try to get a 2 TD lead, then go to a ball control offense. You know this is true, because he has dictated that Haslett create an extremely aggressive defense... the kind that's designed to get the ball back... in good field position. Such a defense uses massive amounts of energy... and needs to be rested, in order to survive 4 quarters.

That is not the same as saying you won't see explosive offensive plays... I believe there will be plenty... but they will more frequently occur because opposing defenses are taking risks, in an attempt to get the ball back for their offenses... and, not because the offense is running at wide open throttle (as Carolina's did so often, last year)

I have expectations of a solid first year performance... but... I would LOVE to see a season with one OMG play after another. Griffin is certainly capable. But, if we see it often, it's most likely because we have to... and, while it's exciting, it's not necessarily good. The formula for winning is still... Get the ball... keep the ball... move the ball... score... get the ball back. For the last part to work... the D needs time to rest. Repeated quick strikes keep the D on the field. That's not always good.

I think you overrate our defense. We're not as good as advertised on the front seven and the back four are a real question mark. We'll try to score almost every time we get the ball, as usual.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:05 pm

C'mon ch1 - they haven't even put pads on yet

all that he's saying is that things look pretty good

there have been improvements made here that give us cause for real optimism

this is not a team that can be judged on the past because the guys that were responsible for your bias are not here anymore

the players, coaches and FO are all different and the old ways are gone

let's see how things go here in the next couple of months

there are a number of difference makers here now that were not here last year - Raheem, Jenkins and RGIII to name a few

there is honest competition for roster spots here now and that is between some pretty good players

:lol:

Hog

Postby skinpride1 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:23 pm

Can't wait for preseason to start to get a look at all the changes. Until then I'll keep tuned in here to keep up with the circus for a good laugh. In reality it's all tit for tat anyway. Rg3 going to be awsome or Rg3 going down in flames. Of course I'm hoping for awesome and If Rg3 does light it up I bet you that will make the wicked troll of the west go away.
RG3....Super Man....check out my socks!!!

Postby yupchagee » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:26 pm

crazyhorse1 wrote:
Countertrey wrote:I believe that you have failed to recognize that there is a, not so subltle, difference between "expectations" and "hopes". Pragmatic fans recognize that Newton captured lightening in a bottle last year. Rooks just don't have seasons like that. OTOH, there was simply no reason for the Panthers to pull back on the reigns...

I think you overrate our defense. We're not as good as advertised on the front seven and the back four are a real question mark. We'll try to score almost every time we get the ball, as usual.

Every team tries to score every time they have the ball unless they are just running out the clock.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:14 pm

skinpride1 wrote:Can't wait for preseason to start to get a look at all the changes. Until then I'll keep tuned in here to keep up with the circus for a good laugh. In reality it's all tit for tat anyway. Rg3 going to be awsome or Rg3 going down in flames. Of course I'm hoping for awesome and If Rg3 does light it up I bet you that will make the wicked troll of the west go away.

I'm thinking... "someone REALLY doesn't understand trolls..."

Hog

Postby skinpride1 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:05 pm

Countertrey wrote:
skinpride1 wrote:Can't wait for preseason to start to get a look at all the changes. Until then I'll keep tuned in here to keep up with the circus for a good laugh. In reality it's all tit for tat anyway. Rg3 going to be awsome or Rg3 going down in flames. Of course I'm hoping for awesome and If Rg3 does light it up I bet you that will make the wicked troll of the west go away.

I'm thinking... "someone REALLY doesn't understand trolls..."

Yea you probably right Trey but I can't help wanting to poke fun at him. Most trolls feed from making others mad but when all he does is make you laugh is he really a troll or just a tard. He has made no one mad on here .. I bet you the wind has been taken out from his sails that he can't make anyone mad on here. I think its funny. Hell there are a bunch that post on here that get there jollies on trying to make others mad or up them one time. Its funny as hell too. I thumb through the posts and see it all the time. The sad part is do you realize some are like that??? I admit it use to make me mad but know I see it for what it really is and go on.

This site is way better than boring extremeskins where they slap 1500 rules on you ..no new threads, get a ban for weeks. The troll would have been long gone on there. But who cares I just want to have fun... life is to short to be so up tight all the time .

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:50 am

oh no skinspride1 - mistake #2

dftft = #1

he is a she = #2

:lol: - you're right - we are having fun here - well, most of us - I'm afraid that JSPB is losing it, but .... the beat goes on

btw - Is extremeskins really worth wasting your time on - I've never been to that site?

Hog

Postby skinpride1 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:55 pm

SkinsJock wrote:oh no skinspride1 - mistake #2

dftft = #1

he is a she = #2

:lol: - you're right - we are having fun here - well, most of us - I'm afraid that JSPB is losing it, but .... the beat goes on

btw - Is extremeskins really worth wasting your time on - I've never been to that site?

I only go on there to get information on the skins. It's useless to try and post there because there are so many members it will all get buried in minutes but hey that shows what kind of fanbase we really have.

I get it don't say beetlejuice three times :lol:

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:58 pm

Extremeskins banned me for life.
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:14 pm

Extremeskins does have a reputation for a quick trigger... whether deserved or not, I have no experience to comment. However, no fan site (including THN) is a democracy... but you can't have debate if you don't permit debate. Boss Hog firmly believes that... as do the staff. I don't have to agree with you, to respect your opinion... I don't have to like your opinion to permit it. And, I have no standing to judge it worthy for posting or not (that's not the same as saying I don't recognize a troll when I see one... and it doesn't mean that we will tolerate spam... we don't.)

I am speaking for myself, here... not for any other member of the staff, and especially not for Mark... but... IMO...
I know that folks get frustrated with the level of tolerance here for disagreeable posters... most of us have been on the "disagreeable side" from time to time (I certainly know that I get stupid from time to time)... but to do otherwise risks becoming a real tyranny. Just another intolerant club for the like minded.

The best way for a culture such as ours to deal with trolls is to starve them... not to ban them.

Let's get back on topic, now...

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football