RGIII's Baylor Teammate Says Team Had No Playbook

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sat May 19, 2012 1:10 pm

RGIII on the transition to the NFL:

"It's just the playbook. when it comes to the speed of the game, you'll adjust. You just adjust to it. It's the playbook so I can learn everything and know where I'm going and be decisive."

Sounds like RGIII has his priorities straight and is taking his transition seriously.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2012/5/18/3029 ... rk-cousins

Below is an example of an NFL prospect who is not taking his transition seriously and is struggling because his college didn't have a playbook.

An anonymous football player on his transition to the NFL said:
"What's that? Ah -- Playbooks? Don't talk about -- playbooks?! You kidding me?! Playbooks?! We don't need no stinkin' playbooks. Can we just play the game?!!!"

The anonymous player is totally fictitious. Any similarities to Jim Mora's playoff rant are not coincidental. :)

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Mon May 21, 2012 3:23 pm

Red_One43 wrote:
markshark84 wrote: (actually my only real conclusions have been that I am optimistic he will work out).

In an earlier post, markshark84 wrote:
Regardless, RGIII better be working hard because he has to make a SERIOUS transition. His college days are going to be NOTHING like his pro ones. I seriously question how well he is going to make the transition --

I see you have both ends covered here. One post has you saying that you seriously question that he can make the transition and then in your most recent post, you say that you are optimistic.

For this thread topic, RGIII has proven that there is no issue for RGIII with Baylor not having a playbook - the evidence is out there. You have chosen to go with your own opinion vs. the fact that RGIII is taking his transition seriously.

Markshark84 wrote:

which sort of makes me think that some people may be a little over-sensitive of RGIII critism or even simple analysis based on his college game

The ultimate I want to post my opinion but leave me alone post. Why post it if you don't want to discuss?

This is a Redskin message board, expect fans to get excited over players drafted by the Redskins and buy merchandise. When you post your opinion without basing it on the evidence out there on this topic, then expect folks to challenge your opinion. Why not discuss instead of deflect?

Wow. Talk about putting words into my mouth. I have to give you props in that you really made those two quotes appear fairly logical. But in reality, get real. A person can't question whether someone will make the transition but be optimistic that they will???? Do you know how common that is? This type of opinion is consistently given for most analysis provided in the legal world. Within your opinion, you tell them all the things that could possibly go wrong, their outcomes, solutions, and then you offer your advise/conclusion (and for you attys out there, please don't correct me with the whole IRAC thing -- this is within the IRAC analysis). I did that with RGIII. If you consider that an one-the-fence stance, then fine, but I have given the issues that remain outstanding, provided the positives, and made my decision. Perhaps you don't understand the concept of a conclusion, but I gave one. You may have decided to focus on the negative aspects, but the conclusion is there.

As far as the leave me alone post -- that's not what that was; at all. People ARE over-sensative about it -- and not just in this forum. People understand we gave up a TON to get RGIII and don't want to consider the effects if RGIII doesn't work out. The inevitability of at least 5 more years of at-best mediocrity freaks people out, but that is where we stand if RGIII is a bust. People are 100% welcome to respond. I don't care. I dont' come on this site daily, but please comment if you like. I actually enjoy the banter. I was actually really happy that people responded to my inital post.

Also re RGIII and the playbook thing, the quote you provided above doesn't provide any type of statement as to what he is doing, how much he is studying, what he is digesting, how it is different from NCAA, etc. I don't see this as relevant. Is this the only thing you are basiing your opinion on or do you have additional articles/quotes from which you are basing it from? Besides the phrase "It's just the playbook" -- scares me. A rookie needs to know that thing inside and out. I don't see that quote as him taking it very seriously -- perhaps a little foolhardy that his speed and athletism will carry him as it did in the NCAA. If anything, this makes me question my optimism. As I have stated previously -- there are outstanding question marks with whether or not he can digest the playbook based on the fact he didn't have to do so in NCAA, but I am confident he will be able to do so given general intellect, work ethic, and support system within the franchise -- AS LONG AS IT IS TAKEN SERIOUSLY BY RGIII. Hopefully, this is conclusionary enough for you....
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon May 21, 2012 3:47 pm

:shock: there is no doubt that RGIII is going to be a really good QB - no doubt at all

there are really only 2 areas of concern

how much time will it take for him to be really good

how great a QB will he become

those are the only things we need to worry about :lol:

we certainly did not give up very much for a QB that is going to be considered one of the best Redskins QBs ever :D
Robert Griffin will become a really good QB he's talented and smart

hopefully Kirk Cousins can make things happen till RG3 is ready to play again

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon May 21, 2012 4:13 pm

markshark84 wrote:People understand we gave up a TON to get RGIII and don't want to consider the effects if RGIII doesn't work out. The inevitability of at least 5 more years of at-best mediocrity freaks people out, but that is where we stand if RGIII is a bust.

You can't make that assumption any more than people saying RGIII is not going to be a bust. Perhaps Cousins is the next Joe Montana. Maybe our defense carries the team a la the 2000 Ravens. You never know what the future will bring.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Mon May 21, 2012 4:43 pm

Deadskins wrote:
markshark84 wrote:People understand we gave up a TON to get RGIII and don't want to consider the effects if RGIII doesn't work out. The inevitability of at least 5 more years of at-best mediocrity freaks people out, but that is where we stand if RGIII is a bust.

You can't make that assumption any more than people saying RGIII is not going to be a bust. Perhaps Cousins is the next Joe Montana. Maybe our defense carries the team a la the 2000 Ravens. You never know what the future will bring.

Absolutely true -- fair point. I just think if this were to occur (RGIII not working out), we would be behind the 8-ball after lossing our next 2 first rounders. If you think about it, that should be the equivalent of 2 solid starters. It could be totally different with this FO/HC, but the likelihood of mediocrity is greater than rebounding with a team recently off a QB bust and having 0 first rounders until 2014. That's all I'm trying to say.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon May 21, 2012 4:48 pm

it's a Redskins' site , no?

I used to indicate that my posts were my opinion - then I realized :lol:

duh :P

but ..... there is no way that Robert Griffin III does not become a really good NFL QB - no way :)

maybe he get's injured, but that does not count

given his talent, the years of dedication and especially the family support & guidance - this kid cannot miss - this is an exceptional talent :D

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon May 21, 2012 4:54 pm

it's just a matter of time :lol:

it will take time - but I'm hoping the effects are almost immediate :D

the other part that cannot be measured is the players that will come here to be a part of the magic that might not have come if we did not have RGIII

that means we did not give up anything for RGIII - we actually added players we would not have had

this is just getting better - I need another drink :lol:

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Mon May 21, 2012 5:45 pm

The Redskins began organized team activities today, and the wide receivers are loving what they’re seeing from rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III.

“He’s been doing everything that we expect,” Santana Moss said. “He’s looking sharp. He doesn’t look like a rookie right now. I’ve seen him run a lot, but I see him throw the ball and it’s like pinpoint — right there, on the spot. You don’t have to do too much, and he’s giving us a chance to win every time.”

Pierre Garcon, whom the Redskins signed in free agency with the hopes of seeing him become Griffin’s No. 1 receiver for years to come, said he was impressed that Griffin already seems to have a good grasp of the Redskins’ offense.

“He’s doing a lot of great stuff,” Garcon said. “He knows the playbook, he’s calling the right plays, he’s putting guys in position, he’s making the throws on time, and he has a great, strong arm. He’s been like a veteran.”

Griffin said he has worked hard studying the playbook but he has also been reminding himself not to overthink things.

“Sometimes in football, you’ve just got to go out and play,” Griffin said.

So far, his teammates have liked the way he’s going out and playing.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... iffin-iii/
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon May 21, 2012 5:51 pm

markshark84 wrote:
Is this the only thing you are basiing your opinion on or do you have additional articles/quotes from which you are basing it from? Besides the phrase "It's just the playbook" -- scares me. A rookie needs to know that thing inside and out. I don't see that quote as him taking it very seriously -

:lol:

From Today's OTA practice:

Don Banks from SI:
showing a good command of Washington's offense

London Fletcher:
He's willing to work, he works hard, he's here early, and he's in the playbook.

I would say in London Fletcher's opinion, RGIII is taking the playbook very seriously.

Pierre Garcon:
He’s doing a lot of great stuff,” Garcon said. “He knows the playbook, he’s calling the right plays, he’s putting guys in position, he’s making the throws on time, and he has a great, strong arm. He’s been like a veteran.”

RGIII on studying the playbook:
Griffin said he has worked hard studying the playbook but he has also been reminding himself not to overthink things.

None of these quotes are surprising since one of the selling points of drafting RGIII was his work ethic and that he is coachable.

From the comments that I have seen from sportswriters and players, I don't think that anyone thinks that RGIII did not heed your advice that he better take his playbook seriously.

Because if he isn't studying and he is showing command of the offense, what does that say about RGIII? :)

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/w ... z1vXw0mk2U

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... iffin-iii/
Last edited by Red_One43 on Mon May 21, 2012 6:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon May 21, 2012 5:58 pm

Not only did RGIII take studying his playbook seriously, he also saw that it was important to learn about his teammates hitting the field with them.

“Roy Helu and Evan Royster. Tim Hightower if he comes back. I want [the guys] to know I am looking them up, and thinking about meeting them,” the Heisman Trophy winner said. “I’ve been doing my homework.”

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/04/ ... teammates/

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon May 21, 2012 9:25 pm

Santana Moss was asked if he thought that RGIII might get some hazing from the vets - "hell no - I'm taking him out on the town - I plan on getting a lot of balls thrown my way"

this is going to be fun ...

i understand it will take time but this kid is very special

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:28 pm

From NFL Total Acess:

Doughty says that RGIII is in such command of the offense that he checked off the safeties a couple of times. Check out the link.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-t ... witterfeed

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Thu May 24, 2012 2:26 pm

Anytime I hear the word "just" it makes me cringe. That term is used to lighten things. That is why I took it the way I did. But hearing this from the players is good. Trust me, this is what we all want. It's good to hear. My only fear with rookies is that they don't understand how big a transition it is going into the NFL. As long as RGIII knows that and works hard, he'll be fantastic.

Although, I would like to hear what the OL is saying -- the WR sort of always tend to kiss up to the QB. After all, the QB is their meal ticket.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Thu May 24, 2012 9:06 pm

markshark84 wrote: Although, I would like to hear what the OL is saying -- the WR sort of always tend to kiss up to the QB. After all, the QB is their meal ticket.

Good point. The media made the big deal about Brady and his OL. From what what we have heard and seen about RGIII, I would expect his OL to come out saying we are going to work extra hard for him, but I suspect you will agree, that OL is not quite settled yet and then I think it takes performace under fire for the OL to be won over by their QB. Stayed tuned. :)

Hog

Postby the poster » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:42 pm

Countertrey wrote:There's no doubt... expectations are high... at the same time, sane fans here are hoping for a Newton like season, but but expecting a more realistic season with rookie mistakes.

you think it's sane to hope for a newton type season? that guy is 250lbs. you're qb is skinny and looks like a wr. heres what a sane fan should actually hope for: that's he's capable of playing 16 games.

he struggled with full seasons in college. fact.

This is probably the most talented college quarterback ever to put on B&G. He will have pressure... it comes with it. I think he'll take care of business, and be fine... real fine... I'm standing on only one side of the fence... and think I'll end up on the right one.

three first round draft picks and a high second round pick. sorry, sucker. that doesn't work. he has to be great, right away, or this mid March public relations move will start costing people their jobs.

let's see if rg3 likes learning new systems every couple of years...welcome to d.c.! ha.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football