Impact of the Cap Case Dismissal

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
|||||||

Impact of the Cap Case Dismissal

Postby UK Skins Fan » Wed May 23, 2012 6:08 am

Not as bad as we might have feared?

http://www.realredskins.com/rich-tandlers-real-redsk/2012/05/penalty-not-a-cap-tastrophe-.html

1niksder is the one with most insight around here on this issue, but it does look as though the sky is NOT about to fall in. The work done by the front office (yes Jock, the front office!) to reduce dead cap money has been huge. The drafting of so many players in the last two drafts in particular has left us well placed (assuming that a decent number of this year's picks make the roster of course) We've been able to achieve as much as anybody in the offseason so far, and there are options available if we need to create more space.

So, let's just stick two fingers up to the NFL, and start winning some football games.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed May 23, 2012 8:01 am

I dont see the impact being disruptive. If we went into this year with our current squad, I'd be happy.

Next year, Fred Davis may be the only person who commands a big contract. Hall, Moss and Cooley may restructure or be cut. We may be limited in FA, but I'm sure they'll draft well again...

It'll be alright. Big spending hasn't won us anything before, so a lack of funds at worst won't change the result we've been getting. However, we're doing things different and better and it's those alterations that I believe will make the difference.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

cleg

Postby cleg » Wed May 23, 2012 8:51 am

I agree with CLL. Time to put the past behind and deal with the mistakes. I think since Shanny and Allen have come to town things are moving in the right direction. Big spending never worked so build through the draft and smart FA like the last couple years. I am convinced this team has turned the corner and will be a force to deal with shortly. After 20 years in the wilderness we have found the path to salvation and it is rightous.
Drinking the Kool-Aid again...

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed May 23, 2012 10:05 am

In life, you get dealt an unfair at times and you gotta suck it up. It happens to us all. What separates people is how they absorb the hit and move past it.

If they want to make the league pay for it, cause Goodell to hand that Lombardi over to us. That'll be a greater satisfaction than winning some money back.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed May 23, 2012 10:49 am

It's certainly clear that, for the Redskins, the damage was well managed, and free agency was profitable, despite Mara's sabotage. However, the team was forced to scale back on the scope of it's shopping...

None the less, I'm sure that Mara is some frustrated that the DC team did not suffer greatly from this corrupt theft of team resources. Dallas does appear to have been pretty well hurt, though, suffering some losses, and having to use future cap to offset. Well played by the skins FO.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Wed May 23, 2012 10:57 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:If they want to make the league pay for it, cause Goodell to hand that Lombardi over to us. That'll be a greater satisfaction than winning some money back.

It is a heartwarming image: Goodell looking grimfaced, compelled to hand over the Lombardi trophy to Dan Snyder. If I was Dan, I'd refuse to take it from Goodell, ask him to place it on the floor, and then take a dump on it.

But then I am a bitter minded and vindictive individual.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed May 23, 2012 11:07 am

UK Skins Fan wrote:But then I am a bitter minded and vindictive individual.

Then we are similar.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed May 23, 2012 11:22 am

I agree with all of the comments and the original article. None of it changes the fact that the team got royally hosed just hours before the start of free agency. We have no choice but to move on, but I don't see any reason we should think of this as a positive.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed May 23, 2012 1:32 pm

riggofan wrote:I agree with all of the comments and the original article. None of it changes the fact that the team got royally hosed just hours before the start of free agency. We have no choice but to move on, but I don't see any reason we should think of this as a positive.
No one will dispute that the team got royally screwed... but, you MUST view the fact that this FO was able to continue to march, and make effective decisions in the face of this as a huge positive. Cerrato would have totally screwed it up...

OTOH, I can only imagine what the team would have done in FA with another 16 million to play with...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Postby yupchagee » Wed May 23, 2012 3:21 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:If they want to make the league pay for it, cause Goodell to hand that Lombardi over to us. That'll be a greater satisfaction than winning some money back.

It is a heartwarming image: Goodell looking grimfaced, compelled to hand over the Lombardi trophy to Dan Snyder. If I was Dan, I'd refuse to take it from Goodell, ask him to place it on the floor, and then take a dump on it.

But then I am a bitter minded and vindictive individual.

No, he should take a dump n Roger :twisted:
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Wed May 23, 2012 3:28 pm

Maybe one day soon Allen or Shanahan will discuss this event, and the actual impact on the team/FA this season. Also I would be interested in the conversation back when Allen decided to make those moves in 2010 that led to this issue. Am pretty sure that the moves were not only sent to the league office, but also discussed with the owner, who supposedly was part of that secret handshake with other owners concerning the salary cap in the uncapped season. What, if anything, did Snyder say back then? Who decided to roll the dice?
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed May 23, 2012 3:59 pm

Countertrey wrote:
riggofan wrote:I agree with all of the comments and the original article. None of it changes the fact that the team got royally hosed just hours before the start of free agency. We have no choice but to move on, but I don't see any reason we should think of this as a positive.
No one will dispute that the team got royally screwed... but, you MUST view the fact that this FO was able to continue to march, and make effective decisions in the face of this as a huge positive. Cerrato would have totally screwed it up...

OTOH, I can only imagine what the team would have done in FA with another 16 million to play with...

This. (sorry southlondon)
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed May 23, 2012 4:05 pm

rskin72 wrote:Maybe one day soon Allen or Shanahan will discuss this event, and the actual impact on the team/FA this season. Also I would be interested in the conversation back when Allen decided to make those moves in 2010 that led to this issue. Am pretty sure that the moves were not only sent to the league office, but also discussed with the owner, who supposedly was part of that secret handshake with other owners concerning the salary cap in the uncapped season. What, if anything, did Snyder say back then? Who decided to roll the dice?

How about as part of the 2013 or 2014 Redskin superbowl winning retrospectives on NFL Films?
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Wed May 23, 2012 6:10 pm

emoses14 wrote:
Countertrey wrote:

Eh? Wasup??

Did I miss something...?
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed May 23, 2012 7:33 pm

SouthLondonRedskin wrote:
emoses14 wrote:
Countertrey wrote:

Eh? Wasup??

Did I miss something...?

^ This
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football