Front 7

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

Front 7

Postby kerrakpoFTW » Fri May 25, 2012 8:41 am

Seeing how my username is a combination of my two favorite current redskins, my first topic might as well be about them right?

Profootballfocus sometimes has some really good equations sometimes, and I really think they nailed it with evaluating pass rushing productivity. If you look at their site, last year Orakpo and Kerrigan both finished in the top 20 with their analysis of rushing the passer: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/26/2011-pass-rushing-productivity-edge-rushers/

I know everyone is really high on talking about our offense with all the recent additions and of course RG3, but I think the defense is being greatly overlooked. With Kerrakpo rushing the passer so effectively I think it also shows how underrated our line is with Bowen, Cofield, Carriker, and Jenkins returning. Not to mention Fletcher and Perry Riley gaining valuable experience last year and looking like a stud. I can very much see this front 7 being one of the absolute best in football this season.

Thoughts?[/url]

Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Fri May 25, 2012 9:01 am

I think the important thing will be depth. It's great that we were able to re-sign a couple of key rotation guys in Carriker and Golston. Balmer, Scott and Worthington, among others, will have a nice little competition to make the team as well.

I believe Jenkins is going to come back even better than what he was showing the preseason last year. Cofield and Bowen should each be improved with a year under their belt as well. Neild seems to be an ideal fit at NT when Cofield needs a breather or when we go to a beefier line in certain situations.

As far as the edge rush, Orakpo and Kerrigan have a chance to be the elite duo in the NFL. If Orakpo can add a move other than the bull rush, he would be unstoppable. I expect Kerrigan to be even better after becoming more comfortable in a stand-up role compared to having his hand in the dirt in college. He is going to be a beast.

Bringing Wilson back is a good addition, IMO. He, along with Jackson, White and Alexander, will be perfect for the type of depth and competition behind the two starters. All of those guys are contributors on special teams as well. (OMG being a contributor everywhere, but I digress)

Fletcher is still a great player, leading the NFL in tackles last year and is an invaluable leader on the field and in the locker room. Riley and Robinson may be the future starters for years to come. I'm excited to see what they can do. Goff was a solid addition, having started in NY. An upgrade from the depth we had last year.

There's a couple other fringe guys who I'm leaving out, but for the most part I am excited about this group. Putting pressure on the QB will be key and will help the secondary a great deal as well.

Looking forward to vast improvement this season. Hopefully everyone can stay healthy.
XVII XXII XXVI

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri May 25, 2012 9:19 am

YUP!
-welcome to the board btw..

Kerrigan had a beast of a rookie year and I expect him to just get better. I read somewhere that Rak was amoung the top or at the top of the nfl for qb pressures. Im sure we all hope to see him get to the next level and get the damn qb to the ground. Ie see puke game.
As for the whole front seven I'm excited.. aswell as for the whole team in general. The fo brought in a crap load of players to battle at every position be it starter for or back up. Curious who wins both safety positions, as well as nickel back. Then to see how the oline wr rb te spots fill out on the roster.. its gonna be a much improved and different looking team
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Postby skinsfan#33 » Fri May 25, 2012 9:24 am

I think our front seven will improve dramatically with the addition of Jenkins, another year in the system, and most importantly hopefully increased offensive production.

If the O can put up more points and get leads they will be able to pin their ears and rush the passer.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Fri May 25, 2012 9:28 am

Robert Griffin, III is my favorite and most looked forward to addition this year.

Jenkins is my second favorite, and quite frankly I might be even more excited to see what he can do this year than RGIII. ONly because I think Jenkins contibution this year may elevate that front 7 to elite status. Pretty sure RGIII can't do that for the offense this year.

No one else even comes close.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

08 Champ

Re: Front 7

Postby SkinsJock » Fri May 25, 2012 10:42 am

kerrakpoFTW wrote: ... I know everyone is really high on talking about our offense with all the recent additions and of course RG3, but I think the defense is being greatly overlooked. With Kerrakpo rushing the passer so effectively I think it also shows how underrated our line is with Bowen, Cofield, Carriker, and Jenkins returning. Not to mention Fletcher and Perry Riley gaining valuable experience last year and looking like a stud. I can very much see this front 7 being one of the absolute best in football this season.

Welcome to the site - this is a very good start :wink:

the defense will be a better unit this season - the key to helping the secondary is to have a more effective front 7 doing their jobs

we also need to keep players healthy
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri May 25, 2012 11:37 am

I have never seen a player get held as much as Rak does... yet, it's almost never called. He needs to get a bit more "dramatic" when he's being held, to help draw a few of those calls... and it would eventually help to open him up more.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri May 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Countertrey wrote:I have never seen a player get held as much as Rak does... yet, it's almost never called. He needs to get a bit more "dramatic" when he's being held, to help draw a few of those calls... and it would eventually help to open him up more.

He needs to learn a second move. If he can get to the QB more, then the refs might start "seeing" the holds on every play.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri May 25, 2012 12:37 pm

Deadskins wrote:
Countertrey wrote:I have never seen a player get held as much as Rak does... yet, it's almost never called. He needs to get a bit more "dramatic" when he's being held, to help draw a few of those calls... and it would eventually help to open him up more.

He needs to learn a second move. If he can get to the QB more, then the refs might start "seeing" the holds on every play.

While I agree he needs to work on some moves... I think if he is in the top of the league for.producing qb pressure he needs to work on converting more of those into sacks.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Fri May 25, 2012 12:59 pm

Code: Select all
DE   Stephen Bowen   Kedric Golston   Kentwan Balmer   Doug Worthington
NT   Barry Cofield   Chris Neild   Chris Baker   Delvin Johnson
DE   Jarvis Jenkins   Adam Carriker   Darrion Scott   
OLB   Ryan Kerrigan   Rob Jackson   Lorenzo Alexander   Monte Lewis
ILB   London Fletcher   Jonathan Goff   Bryan Kehl   
ILB   Perry Riley   Keenan Robinson   DJ Holt   
OLB   Brian Orakpo   Chris Wilson   Markus White   Brian McNally

This is what I have for the front seven right now
XVII XXII XXVI

Postby skinsfan#33 » Fri May 25, 2012 1:09 pm

Rak is a one trick pony at this point. His one trick is very good, but to become elite he needs to develop a second and third move.

Now maybe Hasslett doesn't let him dip under an OT, because he wants him containing the outside edge. Of that is the case, that limited him to speed and bull rush.

As far as holding goes, he needs to start acting like the OT is rasping him or just drop to the ground. Hell if you drop to the ground, even if you aren't bring held, you usually draw done laundry. Ask Casey Rabach about that. Half of the"holding"penalties he got tagged with were DL just falling to the ground w/o being held at all.

But at one point, Rak was leading the NFL in drawing holding calls, them someone in the NFL told the officials to stop calling holding calls on OL blockng him. That is the only thing that could explain the holding calls just stopping.

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri May 25, 2012 2:04 pm

A player should not need to act to draw holding calls

If the refs have been told not to call holding penalties on plays involving Orakpo, why would they change?

That defensive group looks very good - how many of that group are we able to keep

Is the common feeling that we'll keep 9 LBs and 7 linemen?
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri May 25, 2012 2:12 pm

True. You'd think the officials would start paying more attention by now. How many games do the announcers/replays have to point out Rak getting mugged and not getting the call?

Postby skinsfan#33 » Fri May 25, 2012 3:01 pm

SkinsJock wrote:A player should not need to act to draw holding calls

If the refs have been told not to call holding penalties on plays involving Orakpo, why would they change?

That defensive group looks very good - how many of that group are we able to keep

Is the common feeling that we'll keep 9 LBs and 7 linemen?

You're right they shouldn't need to act, but there was a NBA player (i think Richard Chamberland) that drew charging calls by flopping all the time.

It works in the NFL too. I even DL that were getting whipped by OL just fall to the ground and out comes the yellow hanky.

Yes, they would throw the flag if Rak flopped. It is instinct for them to throw the flag when a pass rusher hours down. They don't even think, they just their the flag, weather they saw a hold or not!

Postby skinsfan#33 » Fri May 25, 2012 3:07 pm

riggofan wrote:

True. You'd think the officials would start paying more attention by now. How many games do the announcers/replays have to point out Rak getting mugged and not getting the call?

I'm serious, I think they have been tokd not to call it unless it is so blatant they they have no choice! That is why he needs to flop. The flag will come out, out of instinct, even if they don't see a hold and even if they have been told not to call it on him.

By the way, I don't think Rak is thr only guy. Harrison of the Steelers gets held just as much and gets no yellow love. And I'm sure there are others.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football