How Does it Feel to Play with a Concussion?

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.
Hog

How Does it Feel to Play with a Concussion?

Postby Red_One43 » Sun May 27, 2012 10:50 am

Ray Lucas, former NYJ quarterback tells about a concussion he suffered in a game against Miami. Parcells was his HC.

Ray Lucas:
Hey - but - that's the NFL.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1173 ... mpaign=nfl

DarthMonk

Re: How Does it Feel to Play with a Concussion?

Postby DarthMonk » Wed May 30, 2012 7:34 am

Red_One43 wrote:Ray Lucas, former NYJ quarterback tells about a concussion he suffered in a game against Miami. Parcells was his HC.

Ray Lucas:
Hey - but - that's the NFL.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1173 ... mpaign=nfl

Currently having a "discussion" with my wife about letting my 12-year-old son play tackle this fall. He wants to play and I want to let him. She does not want to let him.

Thoughts?

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed May 30, 2012 8:11 am

What position?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed May 30, 2012 9:39 am

Deadskins wrote:What position?

He will be a "rookie" among 11 to 13 year olds, some of whom have played for a year or two. From what I've seen in the flag leagues he is more skilled than average. He throws a really good ball, has good body control, and has terrific hands. I guess all of that means some idiot is gonna put him at NT.

Seriously, I'd expect him to get looks at all skill positions on offense and in the secondary on defense.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed May 30, 2012 9:58 am

DarthMonk wrote:
Deadskins wrote:What position?

He will be a "rookie" among 11 to 13 year olds, some of whom have played for a year or two. From what I've seen in the flag leagues he is more skilled than average. He throws a really good ball, has good body control, and has terrific hands. I guess all of that means some idiot is gonna put him at NT.

Seriously, I'd expect him to get looks at all skill positions on offense and in the secondary on defense.

DarthMonk

Meaning he's more likely to sustain an injury playing tackle. I don't know, I can see the argument on both sides.

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Wed May 30, 2012 8:08 pm

Bottomline: If the kid really wants to play football then you have to let him play. Trying to talk him him out of it is fair. Teaching him the dangers of it is fair, but if he still wants to play then you have to let him play. I have no regrets about playing football from ages 10 - high school. I tore my knee up playing baseball - I have regrets.

Now, if he asks to turn pro - SAY NO! After watching that Ray Lucas video, you got to say NO to pro!

:wink:

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed May 30, 2012 8:15 pm

If your wife isn't comfortable, this is lose lose, especially if your boy does get hurt. We were lucky... we are in a hockey culture, here, and my wife is a hockey fan... it took very little for her to be comfortable. Our son grew up in an emergency room... yeah... lucky! :lol:
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Thu May 31, 2012 9:27 am

I had a couple of good ones as a national competitor in Judo.

I also gave my share to others, never on purpose to hurt them, just to beat the living daylights out of them and WIN.

A PHYSICAL sport is a PHYSICAL sport. I would not change ANYTHING in my sports life for the satisfactions and lessons learned. There is a time to ENTER the sport and there is a time to LEAVE the sport. Just listen to what your body tells you. When it takes longer to recover from an injury and you play with pain all the time, it is better to leave.

There are important lessons to be learned from a PHYSICAL game beyond the sport itself. Courage, discipline, self-reliance, team spirit, many other values that CANNOT be learned playing chess (for example). :wink:
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu May 31, 2012 9:29 am

Redskin in Canada wrote:There are important lessons to be learned from a PHYSICAL game beyond the sport itself. Courage, discipline, self-reliance, team spirit, many other values that CANNOT be learned playing chess (for example). :wink:

Maybe you're playing it wrong. :lol:

Hail to the Redskins!

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:25 am

Deadskins wrote:
Redskin in Canada wrote:There are important lessons to be learned from a PHYSICAL game beyond the sport itself. Courage, discipline, self-reliance, team spirit, many other values that CANNOT be learned playing chess (for example). :wink:

Maybe you're playing it wrong. :lol:

I am now an national and international competitive player in a strategy board game. I know the DIFFERENCE. :roll:
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:25 pm

I thought he was talkin bout real football but than I saw "flag football".

:lol:

Tell the wife the most that could happen is someone reaches for his flag and grabs his shorts by mistake.

He might die of embarrassment but he won't suffer a concussion. :lol:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:18 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:I thought he was talkin bout real football but than I saw "flag football".

:lol:

Tell the wife the most that could happen is someone reaches for his flag and grabs his shorts by mistake.

He might die of embarrassment but he won't suffer a concussion. :lol:

DM said:
Currently having a "discussion" with my wife about letting my 12-year-old son play tackle this fall.

When he mentioned "flag", I suspect he was talking about LAST season...

Hope the boy gets to do it.... but, never forget... "if momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy." BTW, my wife had the same reservations, but once the kid started playing... and making things happen, that all changed.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby jmooney » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:33 pm

DM, I cant advise you on how to convince your wife that this is a good idea. Iv'e never been able to get mine to change her mind without it being her idea first. When you learn how to consistantly do that without drugs or chloroform , let me know.

What I will suggest is to educate youself on the correct tackling techniques and how to deal with head and neck injuries when they do occur. Work with your son at home ALOT over the summer on these techniques until it becomes AUTOMATIC. Maybe pick up some used blocking pads or tackling dummy. He's coming into tackle ball later than most of the kids he will be playing with so, they will know basic things like pad level that your son wont be used to.

Even tackling the correct way, you can sustain a concussion. Learn to recognize it . I have 2 boys that play football and 3 daughters that are in athletics (cheer, gymnastics and volleyball) The girls have spent FAR more time at the emergency room than my sons. Its repeated concussions and the ones that go un-attended that are the issue. Most everyone here has had one, they just dont know it.

You may know all this already, I just feel its important to say something if you didnt. Sorry if I offended in any way :)

Return to Around the League