Episode 3 of HAIL!

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
swine
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 5:13 pm

Postby masterkwon » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:09 pm

The "glory years"...therein lies the problem. The brief time in the organization's history when they were actually good, winning two Super bowls, three if you count the strike season. Unfortunatley this created unrealistic expectations for the years that would follow. Since that time they, of course, have been the laughing stock of the league and the Little One is solely responsible for that.

Let rebuilding year #21 begin!

the 'mudge
Posts: 14527
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:42 pm

masterkwon wrote:The "glory years"...therein lies the problem. The brief time in the organization's history when they were actually good, winning two Super bowls, three if you count the strike season. Unfortunatley this created unrealistic expectations for the years that would follow. Since that time they, of course, have been the laughing stock of the league and the Little One is solely responsible for that.

Let rebuilding year #21 begin!



I'm looking for "Gettin' to the TOP v2.0, year 1"... thank you very much...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

~~~~~~
Posts: 10208
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:59 am
Location: Canada

Postby Redskin in Canada » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:00 pm

masterkwon wrote:The "glory years"...therein lies the problem. The brief time in the organization's history when they were actually good, winning two Super bowls, three if you count the strike season. Unfortunatley this created unrealistic expectations for the years that would follow. Since that time they, of course, have been the laughing stock of the league and the Little One is solely responsible for that.

Let rebuilding year #21 begin!

Can a TROLL get more than one account in this board??? :hmm:
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

the 'mudge
Posts: 14527
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:40 pm

Doesn't look like a troll... more likely just a jaded fan, who is yet to be convinced.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16055
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:16 pm

HAILSkins! wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
Redskin in Canada wrote:
HAILSkins! wrote:... The funny thing about that is we literally grew up during the glory years, so as kids we just thought that's the way things were, and so we took it for granted. We grew up and were like, what happened?!?!

Easy answer: Daniel Snyder and his sidekick Vinny Cerrato happened!!! :explode: ;furious;

Good video, brother!

That doesn't explain the Norv years. :shock:


Not that I'm in the habit of defending Norv, but he was (finally) getting the team turned around when Danny came in. Remember the year Dan bought the team we won the east, won a home playoff game, and we were a Dan Turk fumbled snap away from kicking a short field goal that would have sent us to the NFC championship game. Then Dan brought in Jeff George and all those free agents which seriously messed up the locker room chemistry and he fired Norv the next year while we were 7-6 or 7-5 and still in the playoff race.

Well, we remember it a little differently, but I'm about 10 years older than you are, so if you want to believe Norv was turning it around, then be my guest. Personally, I don't think Norval will ever be a winner as a HC. Firing Norv was not one of the many, many bad decisions The Danny has made since he bought the team, imo. Firing Marty on the other hand...
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16055
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:29 pm

Countertrey wrote:Doesn't look like a troll... more likely just a jaded fan, who is yet to be convinced.

masterkwonbater wrote:The brief time in the organization's history when they were actually good, winning two Super bowls, three if you count the strike season.

Sorry CT, this is obvious troll-speak. Any real fan, jaded or not, would know that two of those championships came in strike seasons, and that the organization's history did not begin with the merger with the AFL.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

piglet
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:36 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Postby HAILSkins! » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:10 am

Deadskins wrote:Well, we remember it a little differently, but I'm about 10 years older than you are, so if you want to believe Norv was turning it around, then be my guest. Personally, I don't think Norval will ever be a winner as a HC. Firing Norv was not one of the many, many bad decisions The Danny has made since he bought the team, imo. Firing Marty on the other hand...


I'm curious what the relevance of being 10 years younger is? All I can take from this is that perhaps my memory is slightly crisper? HA! Just kidding with you!

Seriously though, I'm not a "Norv" guy by any means. I agree he's much more suited to being an offensive coordinator than HC. Genius Xs and Os guy but he obviously lacked communication skills and didn't know how to motivate the team. Moving forward, I agree with you I don't think he'll ever win a SB as HC. And in the big picture of things I agree firing him wasn't one of Danny's colossal mistakes, however the timing of the fire (still in the playoff hunt with 3 games to go) was retarded.

But it is convenient that you didn't address or comment on any of the facts that I presented. I just think when we analyze his tenure we should note that we were a pretty good f'in team in 1999 before Danny decides to start playing fantasy football. AGAIN... if Dan Turk doesn't fumble that snap we're in the NFC Championship game!! I would be curious to know what your definition of a team turning around is. What milestone must they reach before they're "turning around"? Win their division with a pro bowl QB? Win a playoff game? Sniff the championship game? Perhaps we have different definitions of the same phrase.

And yes I also remember 1994 - 1998, bad years. So no I'm not suggesting he had a great tenure here. Not my point at all.

Regarding Marty, I would have LOVED to have seen what he could have done with another season as coach. The way he ended 8-3 was really impressive. But he wasn't fired for his coaching. He was fired because he didn't want to relinquish GM duties, which I don't think he should have had to begin with. When does that ever work out in the NFL??? Of course bringing Vinny back was the other side of that coin. :/

the 'mudge
Posts: 14527
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:18 pm

Deadskins wrote:
Countertrey wrote:Doesn't look like a troll... more likely just a jaded fan, who is yet to be convinced.

masterkwonbater wrote:The brief time in the organization's history when they were actually good, winning two Super bowls, three if you count the strike season.

Sorry CT, this is obvious troll-speak. Any real fan, jaded or not, would know that two of those championships came in strike seasons, and that the organization's history did not begin with the merger with the AFL.
The operative word(s) being "real fan"... I suspect there are many youngling fans who are not quite as familiar with team history as they might believe (for instance don't know that one, or even two Superbowls came in strike shortened seasons)... yet still consider themselves "real fans".

There are some top-secret factors that contribute to my suspicion that this is likely a cranky and jaded fan... who is not quite ready to believe...


but... I have been wrong before... :wink:
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16055
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:35 pm

HAILSkins! wrote:
Deadskins wrote:Well, we remember it a little differently, but I'm about 10 years older than you are, so if you want to believe Norv was turning it around, then be my guest. Personally, I don't think Norval will ever be a winner as a HC. Firing Norv was not one of the many, many bad decisions The Danny has made since he bought the team, imo. Firing Marty on the other hand...


I'm curious what the relevance of being 10 years younger is? All I can take from this is that perhaps my memory is slightly crisper? HA! Just kidding with you!

Seriously though, I'm not a "Norv" guy by any means. I agree he's much more suited to being an offensive coordinator than HC. Genius Xs and Os guy but he obviously lacked communication skills and didn't know how to motivate the team. Moving forward, I agree with you I don't think he'll ever win a SB as HC. And in the big picture of things I agree firing him wasn't one of Danny's colossal mistakes, however the timing of the fire (still in the playoff hunt with 3 games to go) was retarded.

But it is convenient that you didn't address or comment on any of the facts that I presented. I just think when we analyze his tenure we should note that we were a pretty good f'in team in 1999 before Danny decides to start playing fantasy football. AGAIN... if Dan Turk doesn't fumble that snap we're in the NFC Championship game!! I would be curious to know what your definition of a team turning around is. What milestone must they reach before they're "turning around"? Win their division with a pro bowl QB? Win a playoff game? Sniff the championship game? Perhaps we have different definitions of the same phrase.

And yes I also remember 1994 - 1998, bad years. So no I'm not suggesting he had a great tenure here. Not my point at all.

Regarding Marty, I would have LOVED to have seen what he could have done with another season as coach. The way he ended 8-3 was really impressive. But he wasn't fired for his coaching. He was fired because he didn't want to relinquish GM duties, which I don't think he should have had to begin with. When does that ever work out in the NFL??? Of course bringing Vinny back was the other side of that coin. :/

I think the 10 years gives me a little more perspective on the Norv years. Personally, I think he should have been fired before The Danny ever bought the team. He's a good OC, but he doesn't have what it takes to be the head guy. I know you don't disagree, but that was obvious to many Redskins fans long before '99. Norv had a losing record to every team in the division (which at that time included the Cardinals). That's just not acceptable. And for the record, Turk didn't fumble the snap, he skidded it along the ground. But there were many points in that game where the ball just didn't bounce our way; it was just not fated to be a win for the Skins.

Also, I don't agree that Marty was fired because he refused to give up the GM duties. I think The Danny honestly believed he could bring in Spurrier and a few big name free agents, and light up the scoreboard offensively. Forget about playing conservative, NFC East, old-school, smash-mouth football, he wanted to play real life Madden (or the college version) and run up the score.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

piglet
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:36 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Postby HAILSkins! » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:10 pm

Deadskins wrote:I think the 10 years gives me a little more perspective on the Norv years.


Perhaps but I think that's making a major assumption about someone you don't even know. Some of us are old souls wise beyond our years and some of us not. But just because we may disagree on certain points doesn't mean you're automatically right because you were 30 and I was 20. I have quite a few 50+ buddies that are dumbasses. I also have 25-yo friends with Buddha-like insight.

I agree with most of your points otherwise and in general. Again my argument wasnt about the totality of his tenure. I was just pointing out that he was on the right track finally when Dan bought the team. But i guess we can agree to disagree on that point.

Regarding Marty, I've heard him say himself that he was offered to remain as head coach.

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16055
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:20 pm

HAILSkins! wrote:
Deadskins wrote:I think the 10 years gives me a little more perspective on the Norv years.


Perhaps but I think that's making a major assumption about someone you don't even know.

But now that I've seen you on the video, I feel like I know you. :lol:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

piglet
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:36 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Postby HAILSkins! » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:38 pm

Ha! Touché ! So when r u joining our panel???

the 'mudge
Posts: 14527
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:25 am

Yes, Mr. JSPB... when are you joining the panel? LOL!! You been called out, Jack!
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16055
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:38 pm

It's all about location, location, LOCATION!.
And I'm not located in the DC area. :?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:21 am

Postby the poster » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:23 pm

HAILSkins! wrote:
Deadskins wrote:AGAIN... if Dan Turk doesn't fumble that snap we're in the NFC Championship game!!


why do redskin fans always say this? as if Brett Conway kicking a 52 yard field goal with the game on the line, on the road, was an afterthought to all of this....

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football