Morris and the secondary.

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:31 pm

SkinsJock wrote:I do think that Marty is a very good HC but that was not going to help much here
- short term, maybe .. but not if you have people like Dumb & Dumber in charge

What? The first thing Marty did was fire Dumber, and he was fired himself because he wouldn't let Dumb make football decisions (at least that's what HAILSkins says Marty said was the reason for his firing, I've always thought is was because The Danny wanted to light up the scoreboard with Spurrier's fun 'n' gun :roll: ).
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:38 pm

SkinsJock wrote:and Marty is not as good a HC as Mike

That's debatable.

Hail to the Redskins!

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:27 pm

Countertrey wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:
Countertrey wrote:Hall absolutely deserves to be blown up, for failing to display very fundamental, sound cornerback play in that situation.

Haslett absolutely should have come out with a more conservative play... but, if Hall actually played as if he had a clue on that play, the game is over. Period.

OK, I'm not getting through. There is no way any DB could have played that play and had it succeed. Nothing Hall could have done would have prevented a completion.

But obviouly some people don't agree. I'm OK ith that.
You are right... we don't agree. Hall played that pass for the pick, which is why he bit on the headfake. He was playing to undercut the route, get the pick. It was a Meangelo play, NOT a team play. He was swinging for the fences, when all we needed was for him to put the ball in play.

A competent, disciplined DB plays that to either knock the ball down, OR make a tackle short of the first down. In that game situation, he absolutely DOES NOT surrender his cushion until that receiver is approaching the first down marker, or the ball is in the air. He NEVER lets the reciever close the cushion, nor get behind him without the ball. Now, you tell me... did he do that?

You still don't get it do you? It doesn't matter how Hall played the play. With out safety help all Romo had to do was throw the bad to the opposites side of Bryant from wherever Hall ended up. He did that.

The only way Hall could have prevented the play was by doing exactly what you said he shouldn't have done. He jumped the route. That was the only chance he had. The pass rush should have been there when Bryant settled down in the zone. It didn't get there so Bryant turned up field.

There is no way Hall makes the play in that situation with out gambling. He gambled based on when the rush should have been there. The rush didn't get there.

If Hall had played the play the way you suggested it still would have been a completed pass for a first down.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:27 pm

Countertrey wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:
Countertrey wrote:Hall absolutely deserves to be blown up, for failing to display very fundamental, sound cornerback play in that situation.

Haslett absolutely should have come out with a more conservative play... but, if Hall actually played as if he had a clue on that play, the game is over. Period.

OK, I'm not getting through. There is no way any DB could have played that play and had it succeed. Nothing Hall could have done would have prevented a completion.

But obviouly some people don't agree. I'm OK ith that.
You are right... we don't agree. Hall played that pass for the pick, which is why he bit on the headfake. He was playing to undercut the route, get the pick. It was a Meangelo play, NOT a team play. He was swinging for the fences, when all we needed was for him to put the ball in play.

A competent, disciplined DB plays that to either knock the ball down, OR make a tackle short of the first down. In that game situation, he absolutely DOES NOT surrender his cushion until that receiver is approaching the first down marker, or the ball is in the air. He NEVER lets the reciever close the cushion, nor get behind him without the ball. Now, you tell me... did he do that?

You still don't get it do you? It doesn't matter how Hall played the play. With out safety help all Romo had to do was throw the bad to the opposites side of Bryant from wherever Hall ended up. He did that.

The only way Hall could have prevented the play was by doing exactly what you said he shouldn't have done. He jumped the route. That was the only chance he had. The pass rush should have been there when Bryant settled down in the zone. It didn't get there so Bryant turned up field.

There is no way Hall makes the play in that situation with out gambling. He gambled based on when the rush should have been there. The rush didn't get there.

If Hall had played the play the way you suggested it still would have been a completed pass for a first down.

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:36 pm

I get it fine... and I know who doesn't...

If the skills of a competent cover corner had been available (Carlos Rogers, for example), that pass lands on the ground. Hall's job was to keep the play in front of him, and react when the ball was in the air. Fail.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby skinpride1 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:12 pm

Brandon Meriweather is the one that has lots of talent but can he keep his act straight ? I hope coach Morris can get him to do the right thing and stay focused on football and pulling his career back together, if so we could have a pro bowl player and if not another bust at FA.

We need pro bowlers in our secondary. I also like how morris is coaching them to learn different duties in the secondary.
RG3....Super Man....check out my socks!!!

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:26 pm

skinpride1 wrote:Brandon Meriweather is the one that has lots of talent but can he keep his act straight ? I hope coach Morris can get him to do the right thing and stay focused on football and pulling his career back together, if so we could have a pro bowl player and if not another bust at FA.

We need pro bowlers in our secondary. I also like how morris is coaching them to learn different duties in the secondary.

I agree, both Brandon Meriweather and Morris are the ticket. Brandon just needs to keep his nose clean.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:35 pm

Deadskins wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:I do think that Marty is a very good HC but that was not going to help much here
- short term, maybe .. but not if you have people like Dumb & Dumber in charge

What? The first thing Marty did was fire Dumber, and he was fired himself because he wouldn't let Dumb make football decisions (at least that's what HAILSkins says Marty said was the reason for his firing, I've always thought is was because The Danny wanted to light up the scoreboard with Spurrier's fun 'n' gun :roll: ).

Exactly! I don't see how any Skins fan can look back at Marty getting rid of Cerrato and not think, "Wow, that guy knew what he was doing."

Marty-ball definitely didn't excite the fans. And I'll be the first to admit that was a tough year. I'm also not arguing that Marty was the best coach in the world or anything. I just don't think there is any question we would have been better off with Marty and no Vinny vs. what followed instead.

piggie

Postby ICEMAN » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:05 am

Countertrey wrote:I get it fine... and I know who doesn't...

Hall's job was to keep the play in front of him, and react when the ball was in the air. Fail.

Ok, ok, ok, okay...I'm now convinced. You just don't like DeAngelo Hall! :?

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:43 am

ICEMAN wrote:
Countertrey wrote:I get it fine... and I know who doesn't...

Hall's job was to keep the play in front of him, and react when the ball was in the air. Fail.

Ok, ok, ok, okay...I'm now convinced. You just don't like DeAngelo Hall! :?

I know. He is killing Hall not sitting back and allowing an easy completion. Because with man coverage, no safety help, and a big WR to throw to all Romo has to do was throw the ball away from Hall. Easy peazy, like shooting ducks in a barrel.

I guess if CT wants to hate on Hall for the one play that want his fault that is on him. There are plenty of other plays to bash DH for, but that one isn't one of them.
Last edited by skinsfan#33 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:48 am

Shooting what?? :shock:
Weird.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:53 am

cowboykillerzRED wrote:Shooting what?? :shock:
Weird.

Yea, I was like.. :shock:

Ducks in a pond maybe? :lol:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:40 am

SF needs to take that stuff to smack.

Hail to the Redskins!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:05 pm

Deadskins wrote:SF needs to take that stuff to smack.
I'm thinking that's some big time hating... I've taken extra precautions... :wink:
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:42 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:
cowboykillerzRED wrote:Shooting what?? :shock:
Weird.

Yea, I was like.. :shock:

Ducks in a pond maybe? :lol:

Yes, it was meant to be Ducks. I should really read what "Swype" thinks I'm trying to say before I post it.

I have heard it both ways Ducks or Fish.

It is illegal to shoot ducks on a pond!

Fish are much harder to hit in a barrel than ducks, but as seen in this Mythbusters clip you really dont need to hit them to kill them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd-MpXCMcIs

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football