Morris and the secondary.

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:31 pm

I'd agree that the OL and the secondary are very big concerns

I also feel that many here are thinking that we're not far off being a good team again

we're getting there and I think we'll see a lot of progress from the 5-11 we were last season

I really believe that the cap deal hurt what these guys wanted to get done - however, we are also trying to address a lot of issues

I do believe that Morris will help the secondary
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

Hog

Re: Morris and the secondary.

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:57 pm

Jak101 wrote:
SouthLondonRedskin wrote:Did anybody else read that piece on Raheem and the secondary in The Post...?

I've got to say it made me smile. I'm really happy about the talent and improvement in depth all over the team; we have quality RBs, WRs, TEs, not one but TWO quality QBs, and a ferocious front seven on Defense. My concerns, like most people, are the OL and the secondary.

Couldn't agree more. A weak OL is a nail in the coffin for any team, no matter what the defense and special teams look like. Wondering how the Skins can go about solidifying the OL more to ensure their overall success...

I'm convinced we will be adding to our OL before the season starts with players that other teams release. Shanny will look for ones that fit his system better than the team they've departed.

The draft picks are for the future, I'm sure he'll bolster the line for the coming season though.
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:32 am

SouthLondonRedskin wrote:I'm convinced we will be adding to our OL before the season starts with players that other teams release. Shanny will look for ones that fit his system better than the team they've departed. The draft picks are for the future, I'm sure he'll bolster the line for the coming season though.

I'm not all that sure about that. Has Shanny shown the propensity to do that in the past? If, I'm not mistaken he hasn't. Why would he start someone from another squad, that doesn't know the scheme over someone already here?

Last years draft picks got ample playing time. And we drafted heavily for the OL this year. If you think we're going to get a starting OL, that's fluent in the ZBS after training camp roster cuts, you're mistaken.

I'd rather have a DESERVING sophomore OL, who know's the calls and scheme protecting RGIII, than someone elses castaway that doesn't know the system.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:57 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
SouthLondonRedskin wrote:I'm convinced we will be adding to our OL before the season starts with players that other teams release. Shanny will look for ones that fit his system better than the team they've departed. The draft picks are for the future, I'm sure he'll bolster the line for the coming season though.

I'm not all that sure about that. Has Shanny shown the propensity to do that in the past? If, I'm not mistaken he hasn't. Why would he start someone from another squad, that doesn't know the scheme over someone already here?

Last years draft picks got ample playing time. And we drafted heavily for the OL this year. If you think we're going to get a starting OL, that's fluent in the ZBS after training camp roster cuts, you're mistaken.

I'd rather have a DESERVING sophomore OL, who know's the calls and scheme protecting RGIII, than someone elses castaway that doesn't know the system.

I agree with you CLL, but it's just a feeling I have. Could be wrong, obviously, but as everyone starts to trim down to their desired 53 I can see Shanny taking someone on with some league experience to relieve the pressure a bit.

We'll see, as I say, it's just a gut feelng.
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:20 pm

Red_One43 wrote:On an earlier zero blitz play in the Monday night Cowboy game, Romo threw up a prayer and Barnes intercepted it. After the play, Romo was seen, on the field, pointing out to his rookie receiver, that he was supposed to run a toward the goal post. Romo clearly planned to just heave the ball up in that situation. This was obviously, the Cowboys plan to counter the zero blitz of the Skins.

It would seem like somebody on the Skins, should have been aware that if they zero blitz again, Romo and Co. might try the same thing again especially with Dez Bryant in the game.

Why not keep a safety back in the middle just for that reason? Why wouldn't the CB, knowing that the Cowboys needed 21 yards have been aware of that Romo tendency?

I think that Morris in charge of the secondary solves this problem for next year. He teaches Hall to be a better CB and he comes up with a better plan for a crucial 3rd and 21 and teaches Haz.[/quote]

Rich Campbell‏@Rich_Campbell

#Haz RT @granthpaulsen Kevin Barnes on Raheem Morris: "He's reviewing the whole defense, not just the secondary... Putting his 2 cents in."

7/28/2012

This confirms that Morris is more than just a secondary coach. I am looking for the D to be better because of his 2 cents.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:15 pm

^^ +1 - let me add My 2 cents

The secondary should be greatly helped by both Raheem's coaching and a much improved performance from the front 7
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

Postby skinsfan#33 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:40 pm

Red_One43 wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:On an earlier zero blitz play in the Monday night Cowboy game, Romo threw up a prayer and Barnes intercepted it. After the play, Romo was seen, on the field, pointing out to his rookie receiver, that he was supposed to run a toward the goal post. Romo clearly planned to just heave the ball up in that situation. This was obviously, the Cowboys plan to counter the zero blitz of the Skins.

It would seem like somebody on the Skins, should have been aware that if they zero blitz again, Romo and Co. might try the same thing again especially with Dez Bryant in the game.

Why not keep a safety back in the middle just for that reason? Why wouldn't the CB, knowing that the Cowboys needed 21 yards have been aware of that Romo tendency?

I think that Morris in charge of the secondary solves this problem for next year. He teaches Hall to be a better CB and he comes up with a better plan for a crucial 3rd and 21 and teaches Haz.[/quote]

#Haz RT @granthpaulsen Kevin Barnes on Raheem Morris: "He's reviewing the whole defense, not just the secondary... Putting his 2 cents in."

7/28/2012

This confirms that Morris is more than just a secondary coach. I am looking for the D to be better because of his 2 cents.

Hopefully, Morris' $.02 is that we eliminate the zero blitz! Don't hang your DB out in a no win situation.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Postby skinsfan#33 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:41 pm

Red_One43 wrote:

7/28/2012

Hopefully, Morris' $.02 is that we eliminate the zero blitz! Don't hang your DB out in a no win situation.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:52 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:

7/28/2012

agreed

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:18 pm

More evidence that Morris is more involved in the D than just the secondary.

15. Morris also has more say in the defense than just with the secondary. After one defensive call, linebacker London Fletcher turned in his direction and shouted a question about the coverage that Morris answered.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/redskins-practice-report-july-28/article/2503434

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:58 am

I'm fairly certain that Morris will end up being a one year hire. Hard to imagine this guy not getting a DC job
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:31 am

To me the biggest influence Morris could have would be to temper the arrogance that resulted in a zero blitz being called on 3rd and 21 in a one-point game at Dallas with them at their own 30 with 2:20 to go.

DarthMonk wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:I have to agree with Fabe on this one, because Dallas almost went on 4th down just minutes later until they called a timeout and rethought it.

hmmm...could be. You probably meant earlier. Anyway, just an opinion. Going for it on say 4th and 10 would have surprised me.

If I am reading the drive charts properly you guys are referring to 4th an 7 at the REDSKINS 41. That is classic decision-time 4-down territory. They thought they were barely too far away to go. Diff situation on 3rd and 21 at their own 30. Apples and oranges!

Red_One43 wrote:I think only a sack, very short gain or incompletion would have stopped Dallas from going on 4th down. I do believe that DarthMonk is right that with all the things he mentioned most coaches would punt with about 4th and say 8 or more yards to go.

That's for sure.

Red_One43 wrote:Nevertheless, I personally form my fans perspective would rather we had not left at least a safety back there so we could play to DeAngelo's strength (jumping routes) and maybe forced Dez to break off the route because he new the safety was there.

... probably meant had at least a safety. Agreed.

Red_One43 wrote:As far as Haslett's call, I am not going to second guess him. We hadn't put much pressure on Romo all game except with the all out blitzes and even if Dallas had punted, it looks unlikely that we would have run for a first down and I shudder to think that about Grossman putting the ball in the air in that situation. No, a sack or even better a pressure INT would have been the thing to get and for whatever reason, it didn't happen. Did anyone see any blatant holds by Dallas. I just don't understand why nobody got through. I understand Kerrigan pulled of fthe rush to cover for screens.

I'm typically not a big second guesser of play calls but I maintain it's the look Dallas wanted. Haz: "Tony, whattaya want?" Tony: "How about bringing the house and covering my best guy 1-on-1 on the right half of the field. Thanks for asking (and complying)."

DarthMonk

The Steeleers suffered from similar arrogance against Denver in the playoffs. They carried that arrogance from the opening kickoff to the final TD in OT.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:22 pm

^+1

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football