Morris and the secondary.

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:16 pm

On an earlier zero blitz play in the Monday night Cowboy game, Romo threw up a prayer and Barnes intercepted it. After the play, Romo was seen, on the field, pointing out to his rookie receiver, that he was supposed to run a toward the goal post. Romo clearly planned to just heave the ball up in that situation. This was obviously, the Cowboys plan to counter the zero blitz of the Skins.

It would seem like somebody on the Skins, should have been aware that if they zero blitz again, Romo and Co. might try the same thing again especially with Dez Bryant in the game.

Why not keep a safety back in the middle just for that reason? Why wouldn't the CB, knowing that the Cowboys needed 21 yards have been aware of that Romo tendency?

I think that Morris in charge of the secondary solves this problem for next year. He teaches Hall to be a better CB and he comes up with a better plan for a crucial 3rd and 21 and teaches Haz.

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:15 am

You can give Haz a lot of grief for that play call but if they managed to pressure the QB then their play would probably have fallen apart and we win. The pressure didn't arrive so we were exposed in the secondary. You give an NFL QB time to find a target with man-to-man coverage and eventually one will become free.

If the pressure had got there we'd be saying 'Great, gutsy call', but it didn't and so there was only really one outcome after that.

So was that the payers fault for not getting there or Haz's fault for calling the wrong play...???

I don't think it was Hall's fault. That time.
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:52 am

SouthLondonRedskin wrote:You can give Haz a lot of grief for that play call but if they managed to pressure the QB then their play would probably have fallen apart and we win. The pressure didn't arrive so we were exposed in the secondary. You give an NFL QB time to find a target with man-to-man coverage and eventually one will become free.

If the pressure had got there we'd be saying 'Great, gutsy call', but it didn't and so there was only really one outcome after that.

So was that the payers fault for not getting there or Haz's fault for calling the wrong play...???

I don't think it was Hall's fault. That time.

Let's look at the Minnesota game. Crucial 3rd (or was it 4th down and long). Zero Blitz. Wilson is drapped all over the receiver. Result first down. Teams have figured out how to beat the zero blitz of the Skins. Retreat the QB and throw up a prayer.

Knowing that from previous experience, why not fake the safety on the blitz and have him drop back to the middle of the filed. Haz and Co. saw Dallas do the heave twice - once the receiver ran the wrong way and we got a lucky interception which Haz felt that it was his strategy that caused the INT.

Is there blame for the pass rush? With the QB retreating and heaving, it is pretty tough for any pass rush to get to the QB.

There are plenty of issues on that 3rd and 21 - Hall - could he have played it better - yes. Pass rush - could it have been better - yes. But let's not leave out Haz - Could he have been more deceptive and dropped the safety back to counter the heave up a prayer - yes.

My point is: I believe that Morris is smarter than that and Haz will listen to him try to be more deceptive if he is going to continue with the zero blitz. Again, it is clear that teams have Haz's zero blitz figured out - which wasn't really hard when one does it the same every time.

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:25 am

Yeah, fair point, all too predictable.
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:52 am

I'd agree that having Raheem is going to improve the secondary

I also agree with trey - I don't think he's saying it was all on Hall - or that Haslett made the best call

basically the player should not have done what he did

Haslett's play calling can be questioned and might have become too predictable ... the players still have the responsibility to execute

I still think that we'll see better play from Hall because of Morris and better play calling from Haslett because he should have learned from last season :D
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:09 pm

Morris logging an impact
by John Keim, CBSSports.com

New secondary coach Raheem Morris already has impacted his players in their short time together. Morris, Tampa Bay's former coach, replaced Bob Slowik, who was moved to linebackers coach. CB DeAngelo Hall said Morris' techniques and suggestions have helped the corners as well as the nickel corners."I love coach Slow," Hall said, "but Slow say it as a football coach. Raheem sees it as a player."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page ... n-redskins

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:57 pm

“We got a lot of stuff cleared up, nuances in regard to safeties being better in the hole and covering more ground so the corners and the nickel can be more aggressive on receivers,” Barnes said.

And cornerback DeAngelo Hall said responsibilities were “cleared up.”

“We would ask our linebackers to run down the field. We ask defensive linemen or outside linebackers to run down the field with receivers,” Hall said. “Having the safety more aware of what’s going on around him and not locking on one particular receiver. Same with the nickel, giving him the awareness … I don’t know how many times I’ve seen guys in the nickel just chasing trying to knock the ball out as opposed to having your safety over the top and being able to help out on those things. I don’t know how we didn’t think of some of these things already, but Raheem [Morris] has brought in so many different ideas and schemes and ways to play things that we never really thought about. It’s definitely helping out.”

http://community.washingtonexaminer.com/redskins/

Hog

Postby skinpride1 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:24 pm

I think Hasslet started using the zero blitz for the Eagles and Mike Vick to help counter the way there offense had been torching our D . it carried over into a few other games. I dont think Vick liked bringing the house down on him.
RG3....Super Man....check out my socks!!!

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:31 pm

I see nothing wrong with the zero blitz, but I would like to see some variety of pass rushes and pass coverage out of that formation. I think with Morris, we will see that happen.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:46 pm

Red_One43 wrote:I see nothing wrong with the zero blitz, but I would like to see some variety of pass rushes and pass coverage out of that formation. I think with Morris, we will see that happen.

So he is going to coach the pass rushers too? How well the secondary does on a zero blitz is totally dependant on the pass rush. If they get there it is a good play for the D if they don't get there it is a big play for the O. They secondary have virtually no impact on the success og the zero blitz.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:37 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:I see nothing wrong with the zero blitz, but I would like to see some variety of pass rushes and pass coverage out of that formation. I think with Morris, we will see that happen.

So he is going to coach the pass rushers too? How well the secondary does on a zero blitz is totally dependant on the pass rush. If they get there it is a good play for the D if they don't get there it is a big play for the O. They secondary have virtually no impact on the success og the zero blitz.

You know that Dallas and Minnesota both have game planned to beat the zero blitz by having the QB heave a prayer over the middle and have the receiver out jump the single coverage. I agree with you that in single coverage and the rush doesn't get the QB, then the advantage is to the offense.

I am saying line up in the zero blitz and on occasion have a safety act as if he is blitzing and then drop back over the middle so he can come over the top on that prayer of a pass. The CB has the underneath coverage. I believe the Morris has the clout to get Haz's ear on how best to run that blitz and get pass coverage if the pass rush doesn't get there. It doesn't have to be all or none.

Finally, Morris can also make a difference by choosing which DBs are best in the single coverage and best at blitzing- we all know that single coverage is not Hall's specialty. At least Barnes found himself in good enough position to make the interception in the Monday Night Game.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:04 pm

Red_One43 wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:

You know that Dallas and Minnesota both have game planned to beat the zero blitz by having the QB heave a prayer over the middle and have the receiver out jump the single coverage. I agree with you that in single coverage and the rush doesn't get the QB, then the advantage is to the offense.

I am saying line up in the zero blitz and on occasion have a safety act as if he is blitzing and then drop back over the middle so he can come over the top on that prayer of a pass. The CB has the underneath coverage. I believe the Morris has the clout to get Haz's ear on how best to run that blitz and get pass coverage if the pass rush doesn't get there. It doesn't have to be all or none.

Finally, Morris can also make a difference by choosing which DBs are best in the single coverage and best at blitzing- we all know that single coverage is not Hall's specialty. At least Barnes found himself in good enough position to make the interception in the Monday Night Game.

Do what you are saying is that we should fake zero blitz and then drop a safety. So you really aren't running zero blitz.

I'm good with that. Except I think if the safety is faking a blitz it might make more sense for him to play the under and let the CB maintain over coverage.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:37 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:

Do what you are saying is that we should fake zero blitz and then drop a safety. So you really aren't running zero blitz.

I'm good with that. Except I think if the safety is faking a blitz it might make more sense for him to play the under and let the CB maintain over coverage.

Agreed. It is not a zero blitz if the safety (Atogwe) doesn't blitz. Yes, if it is a true zero blitz, then you better get the QB or make him throw without having a look.

Si.com:
Haslett’s aggressiveness had paid off on several occasions Monday night, but with the Redskins up one and the Cowboys running out of time, the 3rd-and-21 situation justified a safer call.

Give Haz his due, the zero blitz does work, but as Hall said, you can't do it the same all the time. Someone will figure it out.

I believe that Morris will talk some sense into Haz and make his zero blitz formation less predictable. Also, it has been noted on this thread that Morris is bring clarity to assignments for DBs.

Si.com
Hall failed to do his job too, which was to make sure Bryant didn’t get deep.

I believe that Morris will improve Hall's game - either by not having him in that situation or coaching him up to stay disciplined and prevent the deep throw.

Also check out the alignment of Haz's zero blitz in the link. He has Atogwe and Kerrigan on the left side. What the snap shot doesn't show you is Kerrigan ran off to cover the RB, when the RB released, leaving no one to rush from the outside. Was Kerrigan supposed to follow the RB or continue to rush the QB? Rookie mistake or flawed DC? It would seem like he was supposed to continue the attack and force the bad throw.

After reading this article, not only was the player execution poor, but the battle plan was flawed - It was too predictable.

I do not believe that Morris will sit back and not get Haz to tweak his zero blitz scheme. How did the everybody get bunched up to the right on that 3rd and 21? How did 5 lineman block six guys? Morris will make Haz better!

http://nfl.si.com/2011/09/27/break-it-d ... gelo-hall/

Re: Morris and the secondary.

Postby Jak101 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:02 pm

SouthLondonRedskin wrote:Did anybody else read that piece on Raheem and the secondary in The Post...?

I've got to say it made me smile. I'm really happy about the talent and improvement in depth all over the team; we have quality RBs, WRs, TEs, not one but TWO quality QBs, and a ferocious front seven on Defense. My concerns, like most people, are the OL and the secondary.

Couldn't agree more. A weak OL is a nail in the coffin for any team, no matter what the defense and special teams look like. Wondering how the Skins can go about solidifying the OL more to ensure their overall success...

Re: Morris and the secondary.

Postby Jak101 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:02 pm

SouthLondonRedskin wrote:Did anybody else read that piece on Raheem and the secondary in The Post...?

I've got to say it made me smile. I'm really happy about the talent and improvement in depth all over the team; we have quality RBs, WRs, TEs, not one but TWO quality QBs, and a ferocious front seven on Defense. My concerns, like most people, are the OL and the secondary.

Couldn't agree more. A weak OL is a nail in the coffin for any team, no matter what the defense and special teams look like. Wondering how the Skins can go about solidifying the OL more to ensure their overall success...

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football