Redskins training camp in Richmond starting 2013

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:33 pm

SouthLondonRedskin wrote:Forgive my ignorance from a few thousand miles away, but can someone explain to me why this is big news and/or good news...?

Thanks!

Richmond... it's a stones throw from Approximatics, where the Cowboys surrendered to the Wicomico... big day in NFL history...
:-$
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:42 pm

SouthLondonRedskin wrote:Forgive my ignorance from a few thousand miles away, but can someone explain to me why this is big news and/or good news...?

Thanks!

I think the good or bad news is just fan preference. As far as the coaches and players are concerned it gets them further away from the flagpole.
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:50 pm

Thanks!

Learn to swim, consarnit!
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:07 am

Deadskins wrote:

Thanks!

Learn to swim, consarnit!

Thanks for that. Although I'd probably fly rather than swim considering the distance involved...

So this is just the Redskins spreading the love so to speak. It's better for them to be a little away from D.C then...? Have there been incidents with players being caught doing things they shouldn't be doing then...????
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

piggie

Postby ICEMAN » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:18 am

Personally...It's about time the Redskins went back to their roots and became a true professional football team and realized our championships have occurred when the Skins had actual camps away from Ashburn. I just hoped, because of tradition, We would've returned back to Dickinson College in P.A. The Skins were there for over 30 years, which yielded 5 NFC championships! What was wrong with P.A.? If there is any theory more correct about marketing...it was bringing the team back to Ashburn for training camp.

Now, as for Richmond, I am not so sure. I would've preferred them being away from the area, like in P.A.

Also, I would've really, really loved for the Redskins to have had their Team Headquarters in WASHINGTON, DC!!! DC officials really dropped the ball on this one.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:40 am

ICEMAN wrote:Now, as for Richmond, I am not so sure. I would've preferred them being away from the area, like in P.A.

Also, I would've really, really loved for the Redskins to have had their Team Headquarters in WASHINGTON, DC!!! DC officials really dropped the ball on this one.

I'm cod of with you about Richmond. It isn't really getting away. It is less than a 2 hour drive from Ashburn, so there still will be plenty of family distractions.

Why would you want they to move their HQ in into DC? I would rather take a 2x4 to the back of the head than have to drive into DC on a daily basis. I was happy when they moved the stadium out of the city (even though I really count anything inside of the Beltway, DC). It is so much easier to get to and from FedEx than RFK. You almost had to take the subway to RFK (that was closer than Morgan blvd is to FedEx). Now I leave a game and I'm home 45 mins after I get to my car and I live in St Marys county. Never have trouble with traffic, unless I'm dumb enough to use the beltway, then I deserve to get stuck in traffic.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:42 am

For us in the NOVA/DC area, it is a longer drive to Richmond.

However that's not a big deal because it's not a bad drive if you time it properly and its a cool little road trip. Its not like afterwards you couldn't hang out for a bit ya know?

Most important thing IMO, it gives our Skins fans down there something to check out because as loyal as they may be, it's a real hard thing driving from Rich to FedEx field.. compared to someone like me that can get there in 15-20 minutes.

Also like CLL said, they are upgrading our dump in NOVA to resemble a real facility. :lol:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

piggie

Postby ICEMAN » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:50 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:
ICEMAN wrote:Now, as for Richmond, I am not so sure. I would've preferred them being away from the area, like in P.A.

Why would you want they to move their HQ in into DC? I would rather take a 2x4 to the back of the head than have to drive into DC on a daily basis. I was happy when they moved the stadium out of the city (even though I really count anything inside of the Beltway, DC). It is so much easier to get to and from FedEx than RFK. You almost had to take the subway to RFK (that was closer than Morgan blvd is to FedEx).

I simply want a residential tie back to the city of Washington, i.e. a stadium or even the HQ. You are right, Washington basically consist of three jurisdictions, I get that...but shouldn't there be a central component of the WASHINGTON Redskins in the Nation's Capital? A stadium or at least a HQ states that. We can all agree going to Fed-Ex Field is a less than pleasurable experience.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:14 am

ICEMAN wrote:I simply want a residential tie back to the city of Washington, i.e. a stadium or even the HQ. You are right, Washington basically consist of three jurisdictions, I get that...but shouldn't there be a central component of the WASHINGTON Redskins in the Nation's Capital? A stadium or at least a HQ states that.

You do realize that FedEx is roughly six miles from RFK as the crow flies, 8 miles by cars. It is about 3 miles outside of DC! That's it. Like I said, anything inside of the Capitol Bettway is DC to me!

All of the land that is current the District of Columbia was once Maryland, so is it really that important to have the stadium officially in the District (when DC is Maryland land given to the city anyway). Are the City lines that important?

ICEMAN wrote: We can all agree going to Fed-Ex Field is a less than pleasurable experience.

There are ONLY two things that make FedEx less enjoyable in any way than RFK.
First, the team has sucked for most of the years they have played at FedEx! Second, at RFK you were closer to the field (smaller stadiums tend to be that way). Otherwise RFK was a DUMP and the game time experience at FedEx is 1000% better. I never tailgated at RFK because of how much of a pain in the backside it was to get to. Took the subway. To me half the game experience is tailgating! If you’re not going to tailgate, you might as well stay home.

FedEx is just so easy to get in and out of. I never have any traffic problems. I know there are people that park deep into the parking lots and take the beltway that hate the traffic getting to and from the game. To them I would say, don’t park so far in and if you’re on the beltway complaining about traffic look in your vanity mirror, because the problem will be looking right back at you.

There is absolutely no reason to hate game day traffic, there are just too many ways to get to that stadium and they are never all backed up.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:15 am

ICEMAN wrote:I simply want a residential tie back to the city of Washington, i.e. a stadium or even the HQ. You are right, Washington basically consist of three jurisdictions, I get that...but shouldn't there be a central component of the WASHINGTON Redskins in the Nation's Capital? A stadium or at least a HQ states that. We can all agree going to Fed-Ex Field is a less than pleasurable experience.

Hey Ice wus good buddy? I understand your feelings regarding things in DC but DC isn't really a big hotspot for prime real estate at the moment, especially for something like this that would require plenty of space. Don't worry about what's in a name either, when we say Washington DC, you already know that covers not only DC but also VA and MD up until you hit the 410 area.

No worries buddy, to heck with a training facility in DC.. one day maybe we'll have a stadium back!!!
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

piggie

Postby ICEMAN » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:44 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:
ICEMAN wrote:I simply want a residential tie back to the city of Washington, i.e. a stadium or even the HQ. You are right, Washington basically consist of three jurisdictions, I get that...but shouldn't there be a central component of the WASHINGTON Redskins in the Nation's Capital? A stadium or at least a HQ states that.

SKINSFAN#33 WROTE:

All of the land that is current the District of Columbia was once Maryland, so is it really that important to have the stadium officially in the District (when DC is Maryland land given to the city anyway). Are the City lines that important?

First of All...Your notion simply doesn't make any sense! Alexandria and Arlington were both a part of DC at one time too. But, they're are not anymore...because, they now both belong to Virginia. That's like saying we all really don't live in America or we are not really Americans because this land really belong to the Indians first! There is a thing called jurisdictions...where each sovereign jurisdiction has its own tax base and functionality. Example, you are from St. Mary's...so I am pretty sure you do not pay city taxes in Baltimore.

My whole point from my earlier post was simply saying that I would have liked for the city of Washington, DC to have benefited from having a Redskin HQ or perhaps a stadium back in the city. Preferably a stadium. Everyone knows that stadiums are economic revenue generators for any city. Henceforth the influx of stadium deals and constructions in the heart of cities in every major US sport. That is why you see waterfront sites or downtown grandeur of stadiums within the represented cities of each team. So why should DC be exempt? Trust me my friend...There will be a brand new stadium back in DC real soon!!! The Redskins has won 5 World Championships by being in DC and nothing in cursed Fed-Ex Field!

You don't go to Silver Springs, Vienna or Annapolis to visit the White House, Washington Monument or the US Capitol in those cities. So let me watch my WASHINGTON Redskins fight for Ol' DC...in DC!!!

Now...that is my story and I am sticking to it!!!!
Last edited by ICEMAN on Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

piggie

Postby ICEMAN » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:50 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:
ICEMAN wrote:I simply want a residential tie back to the city of Washington, i.e. a stadium or even the HQ. You are right, Washington basically consist of three jurisdictions, I get that...but shouldn't there be a central component of the WASHINGTON Redskins in the Nation's Capital? A stadium or at least a HQ states that. We can all agree going to Fed-Ex Field is a less than pleasurable experience.

Hey Ice wus good buddy? I understand your feelings regarding things in DC but DC isn't really a big hotspot for prime real estate at the moment, especially for something like this that would require plenty of space. Don't worry about what's in a name either, when we say Washington DC, you already know that covers not only DC but also VA and MD up until you hit the 410 area.

No worries buddy, to heck with a training facility in DC.. one day maybe we'll have a stadium back!!!

Langley Park Joe!!! Everything is cool Bro! Thanks for feeling me on my wanting things to be what and where there are supposed to be! We have won 5 World Championships in DC...and nothing in cursed Fed-Ex Field!!!

Back to DC where the WASHINGTON Redskins belong!

And you are right Bro...that stadium is coming back home!!!

piggie

Postby ICEMAN » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:31 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:

You do realize that FedEx is roughly six miles from RFK as the crow flies, 8 miles by cars. It is about 3 miles outside of DC! That's it. Like I said, anything inside of the Capitol Bettway is DC to me!

ICEMAN wrote: We can all agree going to Fed-Ex Field is a less than pleasurable experience.

There are ONLY two things that make FedEx less enjoyable in any way than RFK.
First, the team has sucked for most of the years they have played at FedEx! Second, at RFK you were closer to the field (smaller stadiums tend to be that way). Otherwise RFK was a DUMP and the game time experience at FedEx is 1000% better. I never tailgated at RFK because of how much of a pain in the backside it was to get to. Took the subway. To me half the game experience is tailgating! If you’re not going to tailgate, you might as well stay home.

FedEx is just so easy to get in and out of. I never have any traffic problems. I know there are people that park deep into the parking lots and take the beltway that hate the traffic getting to and from the game. To them I would say, don’t park so far in and if you’re on the beltway complaining about traffic look in your vanity mirror, because the problem will be looking right back at you.

There is absolutely no reason to hate game day traffic, there are just too many ways to get to that stadium and they are never all backed up.

Too much!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football