Episode 4 of HAIL!

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby rskin72 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:06 pm

HAILSkins! wrote:From a strategic perspective, I think it's absolutely CRAZY to root for a division rival to win a championship or have any success in the playoffs.

The reality is success breeds confidence and it buys you continuity, two important ingredients for great teams. I wouldn't say Eli is elite, but he is a MUCH MUCH MUCH better QB than he was when he won the '07 superbowl, and I attribute that in large part to continuity. You put anyone in the same system with the same coaches for long enough and they will improve. Tom Brady wasn't nearly the QB he is today when he won his first 2 superbowls and even his 3rd to a lesser degree. He's gotten to the level he's at because he's been able to play in the same system for 10 years. You don't get those guarantees without winning superbowls and if the Giants hadn't won in '07 I think Coughlin would have been fired long ago and Eli would be learning a new system with new coaches and his progress would be seriously hampered. I'd bet money that our coaches didn't want to see the Giants win.

I would say the lack of continuity is one of the major reasons the Skins haven't done squat in forever. We finally appear to have some, and that gives me great hope.

I would agree with that...and add continuity with the right HC. Also.....agree if Giants did not make playoffs in 07 Coughlin was probably gone, but once they were in the playoffs, think he was safe even if they would not have won it all.

Can understand that hate for NY.....as I mentioned, I never lived in New england but I am already worn out from Pats talk whenever I go up there.....really all you hear once you get a little north of NY.
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:53 pm

If Coughlin was a great coach his job would never have been in question and yet .... :lol:

Eli's a good QB but he's not elite and he's certainly not great

Eli's teams won 2 Super Bowls - Marino never won 1 - Eli's not even close to the guy he beat in both Super Bowls

STOP THIS NONSENSE :lol:

it's fun to look at the very real possibility of being a very good team by virtue of being consistently good

it's also fun to have a QB that is almost certainly going to be elite if not great in the near future

:lol:
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "the things we’re doing are things he’s comfortable with & complement his strengths"

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:43 pm

Me and sj on the same page here..
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:46 pm

rskin72 wrote:
cowboykillerzRED wrote:I didn't.make the rules friend I just follow them. While I fully understand the sentiment that if they win and we beat them we are____ and if the east wins then the east is ____. But frankly I disagree. The east being stronger or tougher then any other division has no bearing on the Redskins, and frankly I'd prefer the other three teams were all crap. On that note the.best team in the.NFL did.not win the sb, the.gnats didn't deserve it at all imo. Therefor I didn't root for ny any game in the post season. Especially giving them another trophy for them to brag about, not worth saying the east won it.

I agree with some of what you say. I WOULD prefer that the other three teams were doormats for the Redskins. But, that is not reality. I am not a dual team fan, I am not buying any other team's gear, I am not driving 7 hours on a home Sunday just to see any other team play. BUT, when my team is eliminated.....I still watch football!! And, I have teams I would rather prefer to have win than other teams. Nothing more, nothing less.

Ok.. I will C your opinion and raise it this: when is there ever a reason to root for any of our three sworn enemies??!??!

Answer: when they are playing the *pukes.

*it is in fact permissible to root for the Pukes D, ONLY when they are playing vs the pukes O.

That's a bout it on that matter.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:10 am

HAILSkins! wrote:From a strategic perspective, I think it's absolutely CRAZY to root for a division rival to win a championship or have any success in the playoffs.

The reality is success breeds confidence and it buys you continuity, two important ingredients for great teams. I wouldn't say Eli is elite, but he is a MUCH MUCH MUCH better QB than he was when he won the '07 superbowl, and I attribute that in large part to continuity. You put anyone in the same system with the same coaches for long enough and they will improve. Tom Brady wasn't nearly the QB he is today when he won his first 2 superbowls and even his 3rd to a lesser degree. He's gotten to the level he's at because he's been able to play in the same system for 10 years. You don't get those guarantees without winning superbowls and if the Giants hadn't won in '07 I think Coughlin would have been fired long ago and Eli would be learning a new system with new coaches and his progress would be seriously hampered. I'd bet money that our coaches didn't want to see the Giants win.

I would say the lack of continuity is one of the major reasons the Skins haven't done squat in forever. We finally appear to have some, and that gives me great hope.

Great point. Both Coughlin and Eli would have been ridden out of NY if they had not won in '07.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

piggie

Postby ICEMAN » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:40 am

Great, Hail episode! But every Skins fan knows that it is the Cowboys first and Philly and NY is 1-A!!!!

Period!!!! I hate them ALL!!!

But, I LOVE THEM SKINS!!!

HAIL!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:06 am

Thanks for that episode

the other teams in the NFC East - who cares - they are no longer going to think that we're an easy game on their schedule - home or away

I'm just glad that we are not just wishing & a hoping like we normally do at this time

there is a very real possibility that we are going to see a decent product on the field this season

I'm not taking anything for granted or expecting miracles but ...

this is looking really promising and it is only going to get better as the players and coaches start to feed off what happens on the field

we have had many years of frustration and it's looking very good to this fan right now

H A I L
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "the things we’re doing are things he’s comfortable with & complement his strengths"

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:24 am

I hate the pukes - started with that incredible Thanksgiving game after we took out Roger ....... :puke:

I hate all teams out of NY - the giants are at the top of that trash heap

I really dislike the eagles but it is more because their fans are the worst in the NFL

as far as the rest of the NFL goes - I have some I don't like but it's not a big thing for me

I never cheer for another team just because they're in a division or a conference

btw - as a matter of interest only - Aussies never, EVER, EVER, say, they are rooting for a team

root is a four letter word in Australia :wink:

I think it's one of the reasons I like the 'hogs' nickname so much :twisted:

hogs do it in the mud - would be a great bumper sticker :lol:

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:58 am

True story...
Quote from a friend who, regretably, is a Giants fan: "Don't get me wrong... I love that we won the Superbowl... but, just like the last time, the downside is that we are now stuck with Coughlin and Manning for another 2 years... again! This sucks!"

All I could do was LOL... :up:
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

piggie

Postby ICEMAN » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:28 am

That's funny!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:15 am

Countertrey wrote:True story...
Quote from a friend who, regretably, is a Giants fan: "Don't get me wrong... I love that we won the Superbowl... but, just like the last time, the downside is that we are now stuck with Coughlin and Manning for another 2 years... again! This sucks!"

All I could do was LOL... :up:

That's what I'm talking about

Coughlin is not that good - Eli's good but he's not great :lol:

I'm just glad that they will both be here to see the Redskins be successful again

swine

Postby masterkwon » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:41 pm

Don't look now, but the cycle has started again. Being in the third of the league that makes the upper two thirds possible this is always a strange time because everyone is wondering "is this the year we won't suck" or "won't suck as bad". First comes the absurd speculations, unrealistic expectations, hype and overhype, next thing you know it's game six and the season is toast, DFL in the division (again), the "wait til next year" chatter begins and here we are again.

piglet

Postby HAILSkins! » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:02 pm

For me personally, I'm not even focused specifically on "this year". I think my expectations are usually realistic and I expect some growing pains for our new QB. My excitement is about the next chapter (next 10 years) for our organization. I'm convinced Griff is the real deal and having a franchise QB is obviously the one constant we've lacked through 20 years of mediocrity. It's not misguided to be excited about the Skins this off-season, in my humble opinion.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football