Best Way To Experience Redskins Game For Outoftowners?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

Best Way To Experience Redskins Game For Outoftowners?

Postby not2blue » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:50 pm

I'm an NFL fan but rarely get to experience games live. Living near Charlotte, I like to try to get to at least one Panthers game a year but that's about all I can afford and I don't have friends with season tickets. My sister, who is in her 60's, a breast cancer survivor, and absolutely the biggest lifelong Redskins fan you'd ever meet mentioned during a casual conversation a few weeks ago about how great it would be to get to go to a game at FedEx Feild in DC. Being the good brother I am, I couldn't help but insist that we do just that this fall when the Panthers play in DC. She couldn't wait to tell all her friends and now our entourage is up to 5. Having just purchased 5 lower level seats for the Nov.4th game (on NFL ticket exchange) I thought I would post here for advice on where to stay and the best way to travel to and from the stadium. Needless to say sister is thrilled. I would really like to make this experience for her special so thanks in advance for your recommendations!

Hog

Postby skinpride1 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:57 pm

That is really cool. I hope you and your sister have a great time. I would say start looking now to book a room. Don't wait to last min. Maybe some of the other members might can be helpful on the traffc and good place to stay. I never been to fed ex but im going to get there sooner or later.
RG3....Super Man....check out my socks!!!

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:57 am

Every time I've been to a game, I usually stay in downtown and take the metro to the game to avoid traffic and the fees for parking. If you check in closer to kickoff, I'm sure there are folks here who'll invite you to tailgate with them as I've done in the past.

It's been quite a few years since I've been to a game but back in the day, THN used to have a tailgate party where you got to meet some of the guys. Matter of fact, I had the pleasure of meeting some of the Hogettes. My Wife, who was new to the NFL and Redskins was a little thrown off by the guys but now that she's more knowledgable about the team and it's history, she'll randomly throw out there to friends that she's met those guys. It's really funny hearing that now but something I'll never forget.

Congrats to you being a GREAT Brother and congrats to her for overcoming something that has in some way or the other has touched all of us. Cancer is a nasty thing and having personally dealt with it with my own Mother, I know how debilitating it can be. Happy she's overcome it. Hope you guys have a blast and more importantly we get a WIN!!!

Postby not2blue » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:56 am

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to try to find a place for us to stay where there will be lots of football fans going to the game.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:40 am

not2blue wrote:Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to try to find a place for us to stay where there will be lots of football fans going to the game.

Yea, hang on a quick sec there.

First, if you do a simple net search for hotels near fedex field landover md you'll get a few responses. I recommend you call the hotels directly to ensure they are walking distance to the stadium. Full disclosure here.. the neighborhood isn't really the safest place but game day you won't have any problems or issues.. night time, I wouldn't really chance walking around to hang out. If you guys are here on the Saturday before the game, you can take a cab from the hotel to the area near Fedex Field where there are restaurants and bars so you won't be bored outta your mind. Its not far at all to be honest but me personally, to hell with that walk. LOL. If you can't find a hotel in Landover, try the surrounding cities of Bowie (my 1st choice even over Landover), Largo, and Upper Marlboro but you would have to take a cab to and from the stadium. I also recommend Bowie because they have a nice shopping area and bars/restaurants.

Like Frank said, closer to game time holla @ us and I'm sure you'll find a couple people who are going to the game and can link up wit you folks. If I'm going to the game I'm ALWAYS willing to give out my number so just hit me and let's set it off!
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:54 pm

For an out of towner (coming from the south) I would recommend staying in Northern Va (NOVA) along the DC Metro blue line http://www.wmata.com/rail/maps/map.cfm or in DC along the blue line. The reason I say that is because FedEx field is little over a mile from two stops on the Blue line; Morgan BLVD (a little closer) or Largo Town Center (plenty of restaurants and shopping) and you won’t have to transfer on the Metro. If you feel comfortable transferring on the Metro, knock yourself out and stay where ever you want.

Personally, if you are not doing site seeing in DC on the day before I would stay in NOVA, say near Crystal city. The reason I say this, is I hear people complaining about traffic at FedEx all the time. I have never been stuck in any traffic but I NEVER use the Beltway (I495) and know a good number of back roads. By staying in NOVA you will be staying a MUCH nicer area then anywhere in Prince Georges County (I grew up in PG county and wouldn't stay at any hotel near FedEx) and you can take the subway back to your hotel (or metro parking area) and be on I95 heading south in minutes and won’t hit any traffic (well game related traffic).
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

piggie

Postby fetus » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:22 pm

i went to the green bay game to seasons ago and I am from texas. what we did was just took the metro from the airpot to the crystal city mariott?, i think it was a marriott, anyway we stayed there and just used the metro to get to fedex. it was really easy and cheap. There are a few bars/resturants around the hotel also and we just went down there a few times, and just had a good time. people were nice and didn't have any troubles. just my 2 cents
RGIII and the terrible D

Postby not2blue » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:19 pm

Thanks guys. We are probably going to drive in from NC. Its about a 6 hour drive so I'm thinking we definitely want to take the metro to the stadium. I just didn't want to get into a situation where we'd be walking a mile. Since we'll probably come in on Saturday and leave Monday, we'll be looking for a nice hotel in a nice area. Someone on another board mentioned the Westin in Ballston.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football