Hightower staying, talks winning in DC

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
ATX

Hightower staying, talks winning in DC

Postby ATX_Skins » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:59 pm

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ning-team/

"Redskins running back Tim Hightower says his decision to re-sign with the Redskins in free agency came down to one factor more than any other: He wants to win, and he believes the Redskins are going to win.

That might sound a little strange considering that in Hightower’s one season with the Redskins, they were a last place, 5-11 team. But Hightower said on ESPN’s NFL 32 that he believes strongly that Mike Shanahan and his staff are putting together a football team that is going to win.

“The coaching staff, they’re committed — they’ve let it be known that they’re committed to winning,” Hightower said. “I want to be in a winning program. You want to be in a winning program, with coaches who are dedicated to winning.”

Hightower may also have a more favorable view of the Redskins because when Hightower was playing, the Redskins were actually pretty good: The Redskins won three of their first four games in 2011. Unfortunately, Hightower suffered a shoulder injury in that fourth game, missed the Redskins’ fifth game and then suffered a season-ending torn ACL in the Redskins’ sixth game. Overall the Redskins went 3-2 in games Hightower played and 2-9 in games Hightower missed.

Those early games gave Hightower a positive feeling about the Redskins’ offense.

“I felt embraced, I felt like this was where I was supposed to be,” Hightower said. “It fit me well. I’m a downhill runner, I’m an aggressive runner, and it fit very well with my skill set.”

A healthy Hightower splitting carries with last year’s two promising rookie running backs, Roy Helu and Evan Royster, could give the Redskins a strong backfield. Throw in the talent the Redskins acquired at quarterback in Robert Griffin III, and Hightower may be right to say he’s part of a winning offense."

This kind of confidence in what the coaching staff and team is doing is what I like to hear.
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:42 pm

thanks for that ATX and I hope that Hightower is able to earn a spot on the roster

there is absolutely no corelation between Hightower's being a part of the offense and the team's record however

the team does well or the team does not do well - Hightower is not the cause of either

love to see this player back on the field though - it's great to hear that he's enthused about being a part of what's going down here :D
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:59 pm

:hmm:

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:27 pm

He kept those legs going but he didn't impress me much. He runs hard but didn't really get any where. His pass blocking is what gets him a roster spot.

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:24 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:He kept those legs going but he didn't impress me much. He runs hard but didn't really get any where. His pass blocking is what gets him a roster spot.

Agree with you about Hightower. I expected a more explosive back, but i was a bit underwhelmed. Now with coming back from an ACL repair, he may not be at 100 per cent until next season......

I am not against him, just want to see a bigger sampling of his running ability in this offense.
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Through Trying Times, Tim Hightower Focused On Redskins

Postby 1niksder » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:51 am

Through Trying Times, Tim Hightower Focused On Redskins Return
By ZAC BOYER

ASHBURN – Tim Hightower had never experienced a significant injury before tearing his ACL midway through last season, and in the weeks that followed, he proclaimed a belief in himself and a confidence in his rehabilitation that he would return not only stronger than ever, but ahead of schedule.

His first conviction is uncertain. The second one, now eight months later, was untrue.

“I never lost focus,” Hightower, the Washington Redskins’ running back, said Tuesday. “This thing is a lot more mental than I thought it was.”

Hightower, who tore the ligament in the third quarter of the Redskins’ loss at Carolina on Oct. 23, returned to individual drills for the first time since sustaining the injury during the team’s first mandatory mini-camp session on Tuesday.

Even then, Hightower was limited. Though contact is not permitted during offseason workouts, the running back didn’t participate in organized team drills and his carries, even in individual drills, were limited.

Regardless of how meaningless the carries were, the 6-foot, 222-pound Hightower still showed pride in his work. When he hit “the hole” – in reality, merely the line of scrimmage – his steps quickened and he showed a burst that his coaches no doubt were hoping to see.

“I’m trying to be smart, I guess, is what they call it, and also listen, be obedient to what the trainers are telling me to do,” Hightower said. “But for me, I’ve only known one gear, so I’m working on that, but we’ll see how that goes.”

Hightower was on his way to a career year in his first season with the Redskins since arriving via trade from Arizona. He had 321 yards on 84 carries – a mark that was below his career per-game average, but only because he was, for the first time, an every-down back – and had 88 yards on 17 carries against the Panthers before sustaining the injury.

Months of uncertainty followed, which only bred doubt and self-pity. He considered himself fortunate to be in the Washington area, where he grew up, where he could rely upon his family and other close friends for emotional support.

“In times like that, it’s important to have people that know how to talk to you, who know how to motivate you, who encourage you – not just people who are telling you words,” Hightower said.

“I mean, you appreciate people who reach out to you and patting your back, but there are people who know you, know the road that you’ve gone through and they know how to pray for you, how to support you.”

Adding to Hightower’s misery was his status with the Redskins. An unrestricted free agent after the season, Hightower was without a contract – a disconcerting place for a running back coming off a major knee injury.

Redskins head coach Mike Shanahan and general manager Bruce Allen each professed their desires for Hightower to return, though with the team’s salary cap situation – it was docked $18 million this season for transgressions dating to 2010 – finding the money to bring Hightower back was complicated.

“I know I wanted to be here,” Hightower said. “I’ll say that. This is a great fit for me. The coach, the staff, the team, the general manager, the owner, the city, the style of football – this was me. … As far as did I know? I would be lying if I said I knew this was where I was going to be.

“You never know in this business. There were days where I was like, ‘This is where I’m going to be,’ and then there were days like, ‘I don’t know. What’s taking so long? What’s the deal? What’s the dilemma?’ It was a learning process.”

Hightower eventually agreed to a one-year contract with the Redskins on May 13, which eased some of the pressure. He reported to Redskins Park, and has, over the past month, been limited to rehabilitation – until Tuesday.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:40 am

I can't believe how often I have to defend Hightower on here!

The guy is a talented RB with the perfect skill set for Shanny's offense, good cut runner, great hands, excellent blocker. He is experienced which is great to have around the camp with Helu, Royster and now Morris in the fold (I believe Morris will make the practice squad at least).

He has a great attitude, is hungry for success and is a local guy.

What's there not to like...????

If he stays injury free then he'll be a fans favourite by the end of the season as he'll be one of RG3's go-to guys.
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

Hog

Postby FanofallthatisGibbs » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:00 am

What SLR said +1

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:41 am

SouthLondonRedskin wrote:I can't believe how often I have to defend Hightower on here!

The guy is a talented RB with the perfect skill set for Shanny's offense, good cut runner, great hands, excellent blocker. He is experienced which is great to have around the camp with Helu, Royster and now Morris in the fold (I believe Morris will make the practice squad at least).

If he stays injury free then he'll be a fans favourite by the end of the season as he'll be one of RG3's go-to guys.

I like Hightower, but I would prefer our two, more productive, second year RBs get many more carries than HT.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:30 am

SouthLondonRedskin wrote:I can't believe how often I have to defend Hightower on here!

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

<-- Hightower fan
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:35 am

Count me in as a Hightower fan too

the guy seems to be really focused on making this roster and I think he's an asset to the team

he's a helluva blocker and that alone will put him in good standing with the other players and coaches

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

Hog

Postby aswas71788 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:27 pm

Something that was not mentioned in all of the stuff about Hightower is that no on else was interested in him. He had no other offers but the Redskins. I watched him in Arizona. There is a reason he lost his job. He adds nothing to the Redskins.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:00 pm

aswas71788 wrote:Something that was not mentioned in all of the stuff about Hightower is that no on else was interested in him. He had no other offers but the Redskins. I watched him in Arizona. There is a reason he lost his job. He adds nothing to the Redskins.

Hold on der one cottin pickin minute! You can't judge any RB by their time in AZ! That is death Valley for RBs. RBs go there to die a slow unproductive death!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:15 pm

aswas71788 wrote:Something that was not mentioned in all of the stuff about Hightower is that no on else was interested in him. He had no other offers but the Redskins. I watched him in Arizona. There is a reason he lost his job. He adds nothing to the Redskins.

Hightower will win a job here based on what he can and will do for this offense this year not based on what he did or did not do elsewhere

this is a new thing here - the players have to win their roster spots based on what they do

the old ways of bringing in players and paying them to play based on what they did in the past didn't work out to well :lol:

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:51 pm

Errr, that was because he was injured!!!!

Forget this BS, I'm not going to continue repeating myself.

Come back and talk to me next season and tell me then 'he adds nothing to the Redskins'.

If he's injury free, then he'll be our leading rusher. I'll stake my reputation on it...

(Yeah, I know that means FA!) :)
Last edited by SouthLondonRedskin on Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football