WR Josh Morgan sees new opportunity with Redskins

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

WR Josh Morgan sees new opportunity with Redskins

Postby 1niksder » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:42 am

WR Josh Morgan sees new opportunity with Redskins after breaking leg By Rich Campbell

Wide receiver Josh Morgan watched from the sideline Tuesday as his new Washington Redskins teammates practiced various situations during 11-on-11 team drills. He’s still limited by the broken leg he suffered last October during garbage time of the San Francisco 49ers‘ blowout win over Tampa Bay.

He is determined, though, to let go of any bitterness and look forward now that he has a new opportunity near his native D.C.

“I’m very, very close [to 100 percent],” Morgan said after the Redskins‘ second day of mandatory minicamp. “I just got to get my explosion back. The pain is gone. Everything else is healed.”

Morgan’s 2011 season took the cruelest of twists after a promising start. He started San Francisco’s first five games and had a team-leading 220 yards and a touchdown on 15 receptions. But with the 49ers leading the Buccaneers, 41-3, with 4:46 remaining, Coach Jim Harbaugh called a short pass play instead of kicking a field goal. Morgan was tackled awkwardly.

He broke his right leg and tore ligaments. Surgery to repair the damage included eight screws and a plate.

“Coach Harbaugh didn’t take us out of the game, but it is what it is,” Morgan said. “You can’t really cry over spilled milk. All I’ve got to do is get back healthy and come out here and do it again here.”

Morgan then missed out on the 49ers’ run to the NFC title game.

“It was heartbreaking, honestly,” he said.

Morgan, who turns 27 a week from Wednesday, put enough good play on tape before he was hurt to attract Redskins coach Mike Shanahan and offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan. They like his ability to handle a wide range of responsibilities, including blocking. Washington signed Morgan during free agency to what amounts to a two-year, $12 million deal.

It’s a homecoming for Morgan, who played at H.D. Woodson High in the District and at Virginia Tech.

“I want to learn the whole offense like I did when I was in San Francisco,” Morgan said. “I want to learn what everybody got to do so I never have to come off the field.”

He has to get on the field first, though. Morgan was limited in all of the spring practices. Not only does he lack explosion, he said he has lost five inches off his vertical jump.

He had X-rays Monday, which showed the bone healed properly. He is scheduled for an MRI soon to evaluate how the ligaments have healed. Morgan expects to be ready for training camp.

“It’s definitely a matter of strengthening it,” he said, “making sure you don’t overdo it.”
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:51 am

Hopefully this next month off will help Morgan get back that explosiveness back. It would be great for him to come out blazing in training camp, but realistically I don't expect him to. It's kind of unnerving to hear him say he lost 5 inches off his vertical jump. They obviously signed him for a reason and I hope it can pay off.
XVII XXII XXVI

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:40 pm

Five inches isn't much to cry about. Once his leg and.ligaments are fully not just healed but back to full strength he will also have to develop that trust in his healing. Having had knee surgery with.multiple tears I can say first hand is trusting it. I still find myself unconsciously babying it for no reason.
Along with every niner fan I k.ow, I think he will prove to be a solid pick up for us
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:27 am

Post-game notes (mostly Cousins and Morgan) after watching again.

1st half:

Cousins comes in to run 2 minute. He makes 4 PERFECT throws. Paul drops 2 of them.

5th throw is WAY behind a wide open Josh Morgan for a pick. A good throw has Morgan being dragged down from behind deep in Bills' territory or scoring.

6th throw is an 8 yard in to Morgan. Morgan makes an excellent catch on a very low throw.

8th throw, 3rd and 2, slant to Morgan, complete for 8. Good route, good throw, good catch.

With Rex in the game Morgan made very tough catch in traffic on a ball that is WAY behind him. Bobble .. yes. Caught it ... in traffic ... terrible throw.

Morgan had a very good first half.

2nd half:

2nd and 6 from our 31. Cousins throws strike to Morgan who makes catch on a 9 yard out. NFL quality action.

After underthrowing Banks, Cousins overthrows Morgan by 5 yards. No one should have a problem with Morgan's effort here. Morgan sights badly thrown ball, adjusts, leaps, extends arm, and comes up short. The ball is WAY overthrown. Not even close.

Next series Cousins throws perfect cross to Robinson for 17 yards.

Next play Cousins on run hits Quinn in hands inside 15 and he drops it. May have been tipped late by a desparate LB.

On 3rd and 4 Cousins hits Tristan Davis on a nice circle pass for a 1st down. Nice call, route, throw, and catch.

Cousins throws slant WAY behind Austin. Was he supposed to hook or just a bad throw?

Next play he hits Robinson in stride on a shallow cross for 7. Tightly covered, good throw, good catch. Muddy pocket too. Holding negates but nice play by these 2.

Next play under pressure sees throw to Austin over middle go just high.

Two passes to Paulsen are broken up and then Cousins throws a terrific 12 yard dig to Robonson on 4rd and 6 for a 1st down. Good route, good throw.

Cousins goes deep to Robinson. Interference. Good play. Slight underthrow.

Kneel.

Cousins showed way more good than bad. I understand mixed reviews of him.

Why does anyone say Morgan had a bad game? He was terrific.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:31 am

DarthMonk Wrote:
Why does anyone say Morgan had a bad game? He was terrific. :hmm:

After carefully reading your review of Morgan's catches, I will change my opinion to terrific game for Morgan - Thanks for the post.

I liked Cousins all the way. He had some bad throws, but I do keep in mind that he is a rookie. I love his leadership.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:04 pm

DarthMonk wrote:Why does anyone say Morgan had a bad game? He was terrific.

My guess is because he wasn't featured the way our starters and Banks were. Then of course there is the bobble catch, which some people seemed to view as a negative (yet had he dropped it I'm certain their criticism would have been "I know it was a bad pass, but it hit him on the hands and he at least could have caught it!").

I thought he looked pretty good, but I've only had one viewing on the game. Except for Grossman's brief stint, the passing was all of a high enough quality that I think we got to see pretty well which receivers brought it, and which didn't.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:12 pm

Red_One43 wrote:I liked Cousins all the way. He had some bad throws, but I do keep in mind that he is a rookie. I love his leadership.

Me too. Wasn't 100% accurate, but given the drops his stats are not reflective of how good his throws were. And besides that he had great zip on the ball and a nice, confident presence in the pocket. The change from Grossman to Cousins was stunning, to me.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:36 pm

DarthMonk wrote:6th throw is an 8 yard in to Morgan. Morgan makes an excellent catch on a very low throw.

8th throw, 3rd and 2, slant to Morgan, complete for 8. Good route, good throw, good catch.

What about #7?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:12 pm

Deadskins wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:6th throw is an 8 yard in to Morgan. Morgan makes an excellent catch on a very low throw.

What about #7?

Screen to Banks. Smothered for no gain. Had already discussed Banks extensively.

:whistle:
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:42 am

DarthMonk wrote:Why does anyone say Morgan had a bad game? He was terrific.

For the same reason that someone created a thread about Kirks stats....

PEOPLE DON'T WATCH THE GAME.
And, if they do watch it. THEY DON'T COMPREHEND IT.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:06 am

In my observation of Morgan, I didn't like his hustle out there. I know it's preseason but I felt that he ran his routes lazy most of the time and his downfield blocking was weak.

One thing I read today was that he got in trouble for the exact same thing in practice. Trotting back to the huddle after a play. Shanny yelled at him to hurry up. He tried to explain to the coach.....Don't do that.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football