Redskins taking a chance with Safeties

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Redskins taking a chance with Safeties

Postby 1niksder » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:56 am

Redskins taking a chance with safeties

ASHBURN -- They could all make a comeback, each returning to past glory after a couple down seasons. Or they could each do what they've done recently, continuing a career fade and leaving the Redskins in the same spot they were at season's end. In need of safeties.

For now, though, the Redskins -- and the safeties they signed -- can dream. So Brandon Meriweather could find a home after two teams in the past year felt he wasn't good enough. And Madieu Williams could become a viable player once more after little playing time a year ago. And Tanard Jackson could return to his status once upon a time as a young safety to watch after getting hurt in 2011.

"The safety spot is now very competitive," Jackson said.

That's the optimistic view. The skeptical side has another word to describe the safety position: Unstable.

But that depends on none of the three newcomers helping out. It could be that one or two of them come through, and if that's the case then the Redskins would benefit. They also have Reed Doughty and DeJon Gomes as backups and drafted Jordan Bernstine in the seventh round.

If all goes well, then Meriweather -- a two-time Pro Bowler on his third team in a year -- will start at strong safety. Williams and Jackson both are considered more free safeties, though the Redskins want their safeties to be comfortable playing deep or near the line.

Meriweather is an intriguing talent because he last made a Pro Bowl in 2010. Numerous league sources, though, cautioned against expecting too much from him. He's considered talented, but these sources each said they did not like his instincts. That led to him getting burned more in Chicago's two-deep system, but even the Patriots, who cut him last summer, tired of his style.

"He fits our system a lot better than he did in Chicago," Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said, "and I can see that on the practice field."

Doughty said, "Brandon they brought in to start. He's extremely talented. He has a knack for the ball. If we make sure we communicate and don't give up anything, he can be special."

Williams, though, has stood out during the offseason workouts. Shanahan long has said it's tough to analyze safeties until the games start. But Williams consistently breaks up passes in practice.

"He's extremely, extremely bright," Shanahan said. "You can tell he's a student of the game. He can anticipate routes before most veterans can see them."

Williams said starting only three games with San Francisco in 2011 and seeing minimal time in most games did help him grow as a player.

"There's a lot you can take away from the situation," Williams said, "like how passionate I am about the game and how much I missed not being out there. Even though I wasn't out there, I made a conscious effort to make sure I was mentally engaged."

Jackson is coming off two tough seasons with only 12 starts combined. He's coming off shoulder surgery in January (he was cleared to resume workouts last week) and also missed a combined 56 weeks because of drug suspensions.

"Being accountable, being responsible for your actions," Jackson said he learned of his time in Tampa Bay. "I dealt with things in the past, and I like to put it behind me. I'm starting a new regime."
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:02 am

I think safety is where the cap penalties hit us the hardest. Both because we couldn't sign better players, and also because we couldn't draft them since we had to fill other needs through the draft and not through FA.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:42 am

Irn-Bru wrote:I think safety is where the cap penalties hit us the hardest. Both because we couldn't sign better players, and also because we couldn't draft them since we had to fill other needs through the draft and not through FA.

Agreed. I think this will be the position that really hurts us. I fear that the defense is going to regress... But, the hope I have is that having Jenkins back brings such a boast to the front-7 that it negates the weaknesses on the back end.

- I also hope that Meriweathers transition into a scheme that fits him is smooth.

- If Minifield continues to impress, I wouldn't be shocked to see him starting sometime this year. That'd push Hall into restructuring his contract.

- I hope that Tanard pans out here.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:10 am

I agree also - I'm hearing a lot of whishing and hoping regarding the secondary

I do think that Raheem helps here and hopefully the play of the front 7 negates some of the issues with the secondary
one should always try to look on the bright side ... especially Redskins fans after the past 20 plus years

things will get better .... hopefully soon

Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:57 am

I'm really not that worried about the safety position. We've been using stop-gaps for years now. Meriweather and Jackson are good players if they keep their heads on straight and allow the coaches to do their jobs. Williams is getting older, but it sounds like he has been impressing. Doughty just isn't fast enough and is a liability in coverage. He is a good tackler and great special teams guy, but I'm glad we could get some competition back there. The younger guys, Gomes and Bernstine, should be in the mix as well. I could see Gomes starting within the next year or so, he just needs to improve. Bernstine sounds like a decent player, but I expect practice squad if nothing else.
XVII XXII XXVI

Hog

Postby the poster » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:29 am

SkinsJock wrote:I do think that Raheem helps here and hopefully the play of the front 7 negates some of the issues with the secondary

what play of the front 7? You dont have a star pass rusher like a Ware or a Babin or a Tuck or Pierre-Paul.

You have a pair of "ok" pass rushers. And your defensive line can be run all over.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:31 pm

andyjens89 wrote:I'm really not that worried about the safety position. We've been using stop-gaps for years now.

That's a fair point. If nobody steps up, the safeties will probably play about as well as they did last year. Which admittedly wasn't great.

I agree with whoever said there is a lot of wishing and hoping going on too. I'm personally hoping Merriweather comes through for us.

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:36 pm

As I posted in another thread the other night, our secondary situation is probably the most unstable of any area on the current team. Listening to NFL radio yesterday.....Moving the Chains.....a Redskin caller and the guys talked about our secondary.....and the prognosis was not optomistic, with Tim Ryan stating that (in his opinion) JAckson and Williams were done. They did not think highly of our other free agent acquisitions in the secondary. Did not mention draft picks, however, or undrafted fa's. They did mention, however, that our front 7 looked stout, and that could take some pressure off of the secondary. They mentioned DHall playing different secondary positions as well.

At the Redskins 80th tour at Norfolk Naval Base, DHall and a couple of others had good things to say about Merriweather.......so he has made a positive impression with some of his teammates.....maybe he took them out drinking.

Concur that our money situation could have impacted our selection of secondary FA's.....but it just seems like we welcomed a lot of players with huge question marks at an area that was already weak. Hopefully there will be some keepers within the FA group.

Apparently, Minniefield had a pretty good day at OTA's yesterday.....hopefully he can develop quickly as well.
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

piggie

Postby burgngold4life » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:44 pm

Poster, shut ur hatin azz up boi.

Ur team is garbage.

And u come to another franchise's fan message board and bash our team to make ur pathetic self feel better.

U a lame son.

Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:46 pm

Come on.... :thump:
XVII XXII XXVI

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:23 pm

dftt :roll:
one should always try to look on the bright side ... especially Redskins fans after the past 20 plus years

things will get better .... hopefully soon

Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby the poster » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:33 pm

burgngold4life wrote:Poster, shut ur hatin azz up boi.

"hatin"?? your team was 5-11. what's to hate. nothin.

And u come to another franchise's fan message board and bash our team to make ur pathetic self feel better.
son.

I'm not bashing, I'm simply stating facts and opinions. it's not my fault youre not smart enough to understand that difference.

and btw, Im not a fan of any team. so keep thinking I like the giants or cowboys or browns

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:17 pm

:yawn:
Who farted?
B&G4lifeson check smack for dftft
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:57 am

there is no possible way that they can be worse than Reed Doughty and random guy, which is what we've been using at safety ever since laron landry became injury prone.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:15 am

cowboykillerzRED wrote: dftft

I saw what you did there...
[-X

:twisted:
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America