Redskins taking a chance with Safeties

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby HarleyHog » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:34 pm

Perhaps the play of the Defense as a whole will improve with our Offense (hopefully) turning the ball over less frequently and generating points. even a good D is gonna tire out having to play 2-4 short-rest series per game and not getting scoring support.
Everybody funny, now you funny too ...

"The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have." -Vince Lombardi

(BTW . . . we have RGIII now)

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:15 am

Saw M. Williams interviewed on Redskin Nation the other day.....was impressed by his appearance and the conversation. I really do not know that much about him, nor the other FA pickups for secondary other than what I hear on NFL radio....and many of the hosts there are very skeptical about that area on the team.
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

swine

Postby masterkwon » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:36 am

Just rejoice overrated LaRon is gone.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:17 pm

masterkwon wrote:Just rejoice overrated LaRon is gone.

:lol:

thats actually pretty funny
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:42 pm

i was a dirty thirty fan like the next guy but his inablilty to stay on the field is was it is..
Now if any of these great sports minds think we are worse off at safety then last year they are seriously tripping. Gomes and Doughty starting?? I think that would be worst case right? Well it happened last year!
As excited as i was about OJ coming to town to help at safety he just wasnt 100% and would have cost us more then bringing in equally talented guys. I think we have a very very good chance at not only fielding better starters then last year but also providing better depth- the latter could just be Gomes playing better in his second year but i suspect we will see more improvement then just that.
HTTR
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:59 pm

cowboykillerzRED wrote:i was a dirty thirty fan like the next guy but his inablilty to stay on the field is was it is..
Now if any of these great sports minds think we are worse off at safety then last year they are seriously tripping. Gomes and Doughty starting?? I think that would be worst case right? Well it happened last year!
As excited as i was about OJ coming to town to help at safety he just wasnt 100% and would have cost us more then bringing in equally talented guys. I think we have a very very good chance at not only fielding better starters then last year but also providing better depth- the latter could just be Gomes playing better in his second year but i suspect we will see more improvement then just that.

+1 - and let me add ...

I'll agree with the OP to a certain extent ...

however as ckR points out .. how bad could it be, really :roll:

the defensive secondary might actually be better with a better player mix than last year PLUS the addition of Raheem as the secondary coach

ALSO

I do not think it's a stretch to expect better play from the front 7 than we had
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:24 pm

cowboykillerzRED wrote:i was a dirty thirty fan like the next guy but his inablilty to stay on the field is was it is..
HTTR

We might be about equal with last year, but last year we were very weak at safety. I think the cap penalties are what kept us from doing a better job of addressing this area of need. Oh well. It's a set back, but so many other pieces of the plan are coming together that I don't think it will be fatal to our having some success this year.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:19 pm

Jordan Bernstine, one our 7th rounders, might prove to be a sleeper at safety. He seems to have football smarts and definitely likes to hit. Of note, he is the nephew of former NFL TE Rod Bernstine, so he's got a little NFL pedigree going for himself. I am counting on him to make an impression early in camp.

Bernstine made an impression with big hits in the secondary his first year as a starter last fall, and he turned heads with an excellent pro day: 4.45-4.48 40-yard dashes, 41-inch vertical jump, 10-foot-7 broad jump, 4.31 short shuttle, 6.98 three-cone drill and 18 bench-press reps.

He can return KO's and play on coverage teams. He has good speed.

http://thehawktalk.com/2012/04/09/jorda ... aft-nears/
Last edited by Red_One43 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:26 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
HTTR

We might be about equal with last year, but last year we were very weak at safety. I think the cap penalties are what kept us from doing a better job of addressing this area of need. Oh well. It's a set back, but so many other pieces of the plan are coming together that I don't think it will be fatal to our having some success this year.

I can't really call it a setback or even say this group is only equal to last year's group. Of course I look at the money but setting that bonus aside, I would say they are better off considering the playing time missed by last year's day one starters. Gomes was forced to play early and it gave the coaches a good look at him. They weren't unhappy with what they saw, but not ready to hand him the starting job. He'll compete with Brandon Meriweather (who's being paid like a starter), and might when the job. Reed is who he is and plays hard enough to make the team, unless 7th rounder Jordan Bernstine, beats him out, Bernstine,could also land on the PS at any rate Shanny's draft picks tend to make the team one way or another. That leaves tree agent additions Tanard Jackson and Madieu Williams (both signed for the Vet-min). one or both will not make the roster. All six will be able to take the practice field win camp opens, the same can't be said for LL or OJ.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:06 pm

BOM!
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby the poster » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:58 pm

I would think a loft more of the redskins and their defense in particular (which I think is overrated by their fans) if their secondary had Carlos Rogers, a healthy laron landry and Sean taylor in it.

all drafted in the mid part of the past decade, what a waste. all of them gone. as much as their front 7 seven (which is overrated, particularly the front 3) is hailed as their strength , if those 3 were on the team, their secondary would be their strength and their defense as a whole would be legit.

Hog

Postby skinpride1 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:58 pm

Boy if the skins had Jabaal Sheard from the Browns we would be a top 10 defense.....who the hell is Jabaal Sheard anyway??????? Wasn't the browns ranked like 23rd in sacks last year????? I love me some dog pound. :lol:
RG3....Super Man....check out my socks!!!

Hog

Postby the poster » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:33 pm

skinpride1 wrote:Image

Boy if the skins had Jabaal Sheard from the Browns we would be a top 10 defense.....who the hell is Jabaal Sheard anyway??????? Wasn't the browns ranked like 23rd in sacks last year????? I love me some dog pound. :lol:

so youre a browns fan, who cares.

Hog

Postby skinpride1 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:56 pm

Thats right .....NO ONE GiVES A RAT ABOUT YOU EITHER.

OR THE BROWNS.... GAME OVER.

NO ONE WILL REPLY EXCEPT IN A LOCO KIND OF WAY SO GET USE TO IT LOSER.
RG3....Super Man....check out my socks!!!

Hog

Postby the poster » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:01 pm

skinpride1 wrote:Thats right .....NO ONE GiVES A RAT ABOUT YOU EITHER.

OR THE BROWNS.... GAME OVER.

NO ONE WILL REPLY EXCEPT IN A LOCO KIND OF WAY SO GET USE TO IT LOSER.

u hurt my feelings. guards....take this law breaker away.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football