Drew Brees compares bounties to WMD's

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.
ATX

Drew Brees compares bounties to WMD's

Postby ATX_Skins » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:41 pm

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -for-wmds/

Saints quarterback Drew Brees has offered up an interesting analogy for NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell’s case that some of Brees’s coaches and teammates on the Saints were involved in a bounty program: Brees says it’s reminiscent of President George W. Bush’s case for the Iraq War.

On Monday, as reporters were scrutinizing about 200 pages of what the NFL says is a 50,000-page file of evidence in the Saints’ bounty program, Brees wrote on Twitter that he isn’t buying it.

“If NFL fans were told there were ‘weapons of mass destruction’ enough times, they’d believe it,” Brees wrote. “But what happens when you don’t find any????”

In the run-up to the Iraq War, the Bush Administration repeatedly said Saddam Hussein had stockpiles of weapons of mass destruction, a claim that most Americans believed and that turned out to be false. Bush later called his biggest regret as president.

If I were Brees, I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for Goodell to call suspending the Saints his biggest regret as commissioner.

Brees is now becoming annoying.

*If you get a chance read some of the comments. Made me laugh a bit.
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:56 pm

I don't understand the hating on Brees for this comment. Is it because of the reference to Bush?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:03 pm

well, it's that and he makes a bold assumption about NFL fans in general.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:11 pm

He may have said NFL fans, but I think he was just talking about people in general, and said NFL fans because he was tying it back to the bounty case. I still don't see anything wrong with it.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:29 pm

ATX_Skins wrote:well, it's that and he makes a bold assumption about NFL fans in general.

As far as the Bush part goes, isn't that kind of exactly a perfect analogy? Or is it that he's comparing something as trivial and stupid as this whole bounty mess to something as significant as that war/Bush's stated reasons for it?
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:11 pm

I can certainly understand Drew's feeling that there's a lot of BS going on about this and wanting fair treatment for his players

however .... :twisted:

If the evidence is presented and it shows that bounties were in fact in place - I hope the stupid commish comes down even harder on these players
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:10 pm

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... d-comment/

A day after New Orleans quarterback Drew Brees compared the NFL’s evidence in the Saints’ bounty program to the Bush administration’s evidence for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, Brees has said he thinks he chose his words poorly.

“I apologize if the WMD comment offended anyone. Especially our military. There is no one I respect more than our service men and women,” Brees wrote on Twitter. “My WMD comment has nothing to do with politics or our brave military. Merely an analogy to show how media influences public perception.”

That apology came after Brees took some criticism when he wrote on Twitter on Monday that the NFL’s public case that Saints players and coaches deserve to be suspended for their role in the bounty program is no more accurate than the Bush administration’s public case that Saddam Hussein had WMDs.

“If NFL fans were told there were ‘weapons of mass destruction’ enough times, they’d believe it,” Brees wrote. “But what happens when you don’t find any????”

In his apology Brees made clear to note that he respects those who serve in America’s military, but I’m not sure how anyone could have interpreted Brees’s original tweet as disrespectful to the men and women who served in the Iraq war. I can see how people could have interpreted Brees’s tweet as critical of the Bush administration and the other politicians who put those men and women into the Iraq war, but there’s nothing in the initial Brees tweet that in any way criticizes the members of the military who fought in the war.

Still, Brees has decided, upon reflection, that a comparison between Roger Goodell’s case for the bounty suspensions and George W. Bush’s case for the Iraq War was not a comparison he should have made

Hog

Postby flamethrower » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:58 pm

Ok before you post some thread claiming that there were no WMD's in Iraq. Please ask someone who was there, and actually saw them. That would be me.
Cowturd hater in the house.
Majesty rider in the house.
Cowturd troll owner here
Does Brokeback mountain mean anything to cowturd fanatics?

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:28 pm

flamethrower wrote:Ok before you post some thread claiming that there were no WMD's in Iraq. Please ask someone who was there, and actually saw them. That would be me.

I was there. I posted the thread.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:59 pm

Meh.. I hate politics.. who attacked us 9/11? Who did the US attack?

I support my troops 100%.. not always my president.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:39 pm

Got it. Brees' comments were akin to Winslow's "I'm a soldier" comment when he was at Miami.

Stupid.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby flamethrower » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:47 am

ATX_Skins wrote:
flamethrower wrote:Ok before you post some thread claiming that there were no WMD's in Iraq. Please ask someone who was there, and actually saw them. That would be me.

But did you see any WMD's? I did. And, know that they were there. I helped load a cargo plane bound for Wake Island with them.
Cowturd hater in the house.
Majesty rider in the house.
Cowturd troll owner here
Does Brokeback mountain mean anything to cowturd fanatics?

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:19 am

flamethrower wrote:
ATX_Skins wrote:

But did you see any WMD's? I did. And, know that they were there. I helped load a cargo plane bound for Wake Island with them.

I'm still confused as to where you saw ME post that there where none.

and for the record... I was in Iraq before we had airfields established. But feel free to toot your own horn a little more, won't impress me loading cargo planes.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:25 am

ATX_Skins wrote:
flamethrower wrote:
ATX_Skins wrote:

I'm still confused as to where you saw ME post that there where none.

and for the record... I was in Iraq before we had airfields established. But feel free to toot your own horn a little more, won't impress me loading cargo planes.

Anyone know where I can find truly swift boat?

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:18 am

HOLD UP TIME OUT... Everyone take a step back and breathe (remember this is "Around the League" and not smack).
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Return to Around the League