The Running Backs

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

The Running Backs

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:48 am

I see Helu as bigger, faster, and stronger than Royster. Helu also has great vision, knows where to press on the stretch, has good hands, and better YAC than LeSean McCoy. I expect Helu to be our prime back.

Thoughts?

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:07 am

I see Helu to be explosive in the first half then split time in the second half with the bigger Royster pounding the middle.
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:57 am

I checked. Helu is shorter but heavier so he is more compact. I'm not sure who runs "bigger." Helu is also faster.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:00 am

Helu is the more shifty of the two. Royster runs hard north to south. IMO of course.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:13 am

It's hard to gauge these two IMHO. They both didn't have much time to get their feet wet, so to speak. Due to injury, it was a trial by fire type of deal. They also had to play behind a constantly rotating/make-shift line.

I think they both showed flashes once they became more aclimated to the system and who was blocking for them. I look forward to training camp.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Postby skinsfan#33 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:35 am

ATX_Skins wrote:Helu is the more shifty of the two. Royster runs hard north to south. IMO of course.

I know the sample size isn't that big, but Royster did have a much higher ypc than Helu.

I would prefer Royster on the field in two back sets or other run heavy situations and Helu on the field in one back sets and on passing downs.

I want Hightower, if he makes the team, on the field as little as possible.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:47 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:
ATX_Skins wrote:Helu is the more shifty of the two. Royster runs hard north to south. IMO of course.

I know the sample size isn't that big, but Royster did have a much higher ypc than Helu.

I would prefer Royster on the field in two back sets or other run heavy situations and Helu on the field in one back sets and on passing downs.

Yep, Royster was averaging 5+ YPC in his last two games.

But...

It is also said that the o-line had finally started to gel after being in a constant state of flux all season. It could be argued that Royster had a group blocking for him that was more cohesive and effective.

Helu also had that amazing run for a TD... It's been a while since we've seen a RB break anything for a healthy run + TD. We definitely need a larger sample size. But will we get it? I doubt it. We appear to be a RB by committee team, and thats the way of the NFL nowadays.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:09 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpFXQJdu ... re=related

Be sure to hit mute, unless of course you wanna squash banana...

swine

Postby masterkwon » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:10 pm

Doesn't matter...with a rookie QB and that offensive line the question is how good is the punter.

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:11 pm

One big thing I've noticed is Helu always looks to break it outside, the opposite could be said about Royster who tends to fight for additional yardage up the middle.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:34 pm

masterkwon wrote:Doesn't matter...with a rookie QB and that offensive line the question is how good is the punter.

:lol:

How could you all not appreciate this post???
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:37 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:
masterkwon wrote:I'm a troll.

:lol:

How could you all not appreciate this post???

What post?

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:45 pm

I'll have to disagree with you on this one. Helu is the more north/south runner and Royster is the shifty (2:21) runner but maintains a north/south direction.

Watch the youtube video that you posted. Helu makes one move than then tries to outrun the defenders.

Royster, has wiggle in his step and makes defenders miss or gets them off balance which allows him to break tackles. He doesn't run over anyone.Helu seems to be the stronger of the to (2:00).

Watch closely as either back finishes some runs, they both tend to fall down ( :57) Helu stumbles on his own at 3:05, but doesn't fall. At 3:15, Helu goes down with just a nip of the ankle. Royster does it more often than Helu (check out other tape on Royster). They both need to work on their balance or control or something.

At seasons end, Both Helu and Royster were banged up. Royster's shoulder was in bad shape and that was after three games.

So durability and balance are questions marks in my book for Helu and Royster. Hightower is still the more complete back.

Who starts? I don't think it matters. Shanny will ride the hot hand like he did in the St. Louis game.

We need all three backs. I do like Alfred Morris to be that power guy.

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:56 pm

Red_One43 wrote:

I'll have to disagree with you on this one. Helu is the more north/south runner and Royster is the shifty (2:21) runner but maintains a north/south direction.

Watch the youtube video that you posted. Helu makes one move than then tries to outrun the defenders.

Royster, has wiggle in his step and makes defenders miss or gets them off balance which allows him to break tackles. He doesn't run over anyone.Helu seems to be the stronger of the to (2:00).

Watch closely as either back finishes some runs, they both tend to fall down ( :57) Helu stumbles on his own at 3:05, but doesn't fall. At 3:15, Helu goes down with just a nip of the ankle. Royster does it more often than Helu (check out other tape on Royster). They both need to work on their balance or control or something.

At seasons end, Both Helu and Royster were banged up. Royster's shoulder was in bad shape and that was after three games.

So durability and balance are questions marks in my book for Helu and Royster. Hightower is still the more complete back.

Who starts? I don't think it matters. Shanny will ride the hot hand like he did in the St. Louis game.

We need all three backs. I do like Alfred Morris to be that power guy.

If Helu is the more N to S runner, why is he always getting to the outside and Royster is always ending up in the middle of the field?

I like both guys, I just think Helu should start and then they both split time in the second half. Just my take.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:33 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:

Yep, Royster was averaging 5+ YPC in his last two games.

But...

It is also said that the o-line had finally started to gel after being in a constant state of flux all season. It could be argued that Royster had a group blocking for him that was more cohesive and effective.

Helu also had that amazing run for a TD... It's been a while since we've seen a RB break anything for a healthy run + TD. We definitely need a larger sample size. But will we get it? I doubt it. We appear to be a RB by committee team, and thats the way of the NFL nowadays.

I'm sorry but 5+ doesn't do justice at all to 5.9. He had over one hundred every start. Be it three games but still, point me to the last skin that came close? Royster is the leading rusher of all time @ Penn state for a reason. He's not a chump. I love Helu and we are pretty stacked at rb for cheap but don't discount Evan at all.

Red who did Helu start against I couldn't find it?

Good thread- probably a spawn of the off topic ramble I started in the awards thread, my baaaaad
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football