Rumour Mill: Hankerson & Cooley

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:40 pm

Red_One43 wrote:Since everyone is starting rumors and a TE is supposedly going to be traded - I say it is Fred Davis. Trade him while he has value. Don't have to deal with his contract next year or worry about him staying out of trouble. Paul is your deep threat and Cooley is your possession guy and Paulsen is your blocker.

I strongly disagree with a trade of Fred Davis. I think if a team offers anything at this point for Cooley we do it. As the rumor stated, if we can trade player for player and get a safety out of the deal that would work for me.
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 pm

What safety is 1. An improvement over who we have and 2. Worth shipping CC out for? I'll throw olinemen in that question too. The Raiders aren't a team I think of as stacked at safety, or of having a great oline by any means...
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:31 pm

ATX_Skins wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:Since everyone is starting rumors and a TE is supposedly going to be traded - I say it is Fred Davis. Trade him while he has value. Don't have to deal with his contract next year or worry about him staying out of trouble. Paul is your deep threat and Cooley is your possession guy and Paulsen is your blocker.

I strongly disagree with a trade of Fred Davis. I think if a team offers anything at this point for Cooley we do it. As the rumor stated, if we can trade player for player and get a safety out of the deal that would work for me.

It was saidthat the Raiders are trying to save cap space, so unless a new team can negotiate a long term contract for franchised player, Fred ain't going nowhere. I respect your disagreement .

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:33 pm

If a trade happened w Cooley who pays Cooley this year? isn't his cap hit pretty high?
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:37 pm

cowboykillerzRED wrote:The staff would have to be REALLY up on a guy they just tagged.. I don't want either to go but fear it probably is Captain Chaos and he has a probowl year. I'd prefer it be AAA if anyone

I find it hard to believe that a team would be thinking about Cooley this early.

It would seem like the receiver position would be more likely with Bey having issues. Also, the Raiders like the long ball (don't know if that is still true with Al Davis having passed), I would think that AAA would be a good bet.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:13 pm

I was kinda proud of myself for thinking wr instead of TE :up: ,I guess time will tell. I do know we often trade w Oaktown so these "talks" probably happen yearly and may or may NOT equate to roster moves.

Postby yupchagee » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:22 pm

Red_One43 wrote:
ATX_Skins wrote:

It was saidthat the Raiders are trying to save cap space, so unless a new team can negotiate a long term contract for franchised player, Fred ain't going nowhere. I respect your disagreement .

If true, that would eliminate both Davis & Cooley.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:57 pm

yupchagee wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:
ATX_Skins wrote:

If true, that would eliminate both Davis & Cooley.

+1

Davis would eat up $5.4M where ever he landed and Cooley would be $3.4M
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:20 pm

Niksder- when a team trades for a player they take on that players cap hit right? Do they have a safety or oline player who is around or just above Cooleys cap hit that would even spark this kind of talk?
I'd be good w AAA for a right tackle back up, personally I hope that's what it is.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:59 pm

cowboykillerzRED wrote:Niksder- when a team trades for a player they take on that players cap hit right?

The contract goes with the player but as far as the cap goes...

The new team only takes on the players base salaries and future option/roster bonuses not already paid

cowboykillerzRED wrote:Do they have a safety or oline player who is around or just above Cooleys cap hit that would even spark this kind of talk?
I'd be good w AAA for a right tackle back up, personally I hope that's what it is.

I heard the target player is/was RT Joseph Barksdale....

He signed a 4 yr deal last year worth $2.5M with a $540K signing bonus. the would have to pay him $465k,$555K, and $645K over the next three years. The Raiders would have to account for $405K ($135K this year and $270K next year in dead cap) that is the pro-rated money left from the signing bonus.

Technically the Raiders would clear $330K in cap space by trading Barksdale this season.

Moving Cooley would free up his $3.8M base salary but the cap hit would be $2.43M in 2012 and $1.64M next year.

This trade would add $3.47M to the Raiders 2012 cap and free up $905K in space for Redskins this year.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:11 pm

If freeing up cap space is something the Raiders are trying to do, that doesn't sound like a good trade at all.. Would AAA be a better number for Oakland? I'm guessing yes.

As always thanks for the breakdown of the number game!

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:19 pm

cowboykillerzRED wrote:What safety is 1. An improvement over who we have and 2. Worth shipping CC out for? I'll throw olinemen in that question too. The Raiders aren't a team I think of as stacked at safety, or of having a great oline by any means...

True, but maybe we can get a draft pick out of the deal. We need plenty of that in the coming years.
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

Postby 1niksder » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:24 pm

cowboykillerzRED wrote:If freeing up cap space is something the Raiders are trying to do, that doesn't sound like a good trade at all.. Would AAA be a better number for Oakland? I'm guessing yes.

As always thanks for the breakdown of the number game!

AAA would only add $160K to Oakland's cap
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:07 am

ATX_Skins wrote:
cowboykillerzRED wrote:What safety is 1. An improvement over who we have and 2. Worth shipping CC out for? I'll throw olinemen in that question too. The Raiders aren't a team I think of as stacked at safety, or of having a great oline by any means...

True, but maybe we can get a draft pick out of the deal. We need plenty of that in the coming years.

We've drafted more plaer over the past three years than any other team (this is a good thing) and we have 7 draft picks next yaer.

While we could alway use more draft picks, it is media driven crap to think we are hurting for draft picks. This is based on past track record and the RG3 trade.

I'll wager, that after the 2014 draft (last year we owe any picks to anyone) we will have drafted more players over the past five years than all but a few teams.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:51 am

1niksder wrote:I heard the target player is/was RT Joseph Barksdale....

This is a good player with tons of upside.

I would do the trade NOW in view of Brown's injury prone status.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football