Rumour Mill: Hankerson & Cooley

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:53 am

Plus two sir... Hurr up and WAIT N C
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:08 am

Irn-Bru wrote:I think Davis is taking over and not looking back. What we saw from Cooley even when he was relatively healthy during either of the last two seasons was not great. Personally I think the concussion has taken the wind out of his sails, something I can't blame him for. We'd probably have been best off trading him 2 years ago but it's obviously too late now. Worth keeping on the roster to see if he can revive his career, but again I have little expectation that he will.

The past two seasons, really? You must not remember that 2010 only two TEs caught more passes than he did and only three TEs had more yards than he did. And neither of them were Fred Davis.

Sure Davis has a higher y/c, but he folks a different role than Cooley. Fred is a guy that wil always have a high y/c but will never be anywhere near the top of the receptions leader list. Cooley may not have a high y/c (but it is higher than eddie royal's - a wr so many people wanted its to sign), but Cooley will always be where he is supposed to be when he is supposed to be there. He is exactly what a young QB needs.

And it looks like Fred is playing his last year for the Skins. The team only signed him to a one year deal and they are training his replacement (NP). I don't see anyone pn the roster that could take CC role.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:08 am

Irn-Bru wrote:I think Davis is taking over and not looking back. What we saw from Cooley even when he was relatively healthy during either of the last two seasons was not great. Personally I think the concussion has taken the wind out of his sails, something I can't blame him for. We'd probably have been best off trading him 2 years ago but it's obviously too late now. Worth keeping on the roster to see if he can revive his career, but again I have little expectation that he will.

The past two seasons, really? You must not remember that 2010 only two TEs caught more passes than he did and only three TEs had more yards than he did. And neither of them were Fred Davis.

Sure Davis has a higher y/c, but he folks a different role than Cooley. Fred is a guy that wil always have a high y/c but will never be anywhere near the top of the receptions leader list. Cooley may not have a high y/c (but it is higher than eddie royal's - a wr so many people wanted its to sign), but Cooley will always be where he is supposed to be when he is supposed to be there. He is exactly what a young QB needs.

And it looks like Fred is playing his last year for the Skins. The team only signed him to a one year deal and they are training his replacement (NP). I don't see anyone pn the roster that could take CC role.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:46 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:

I remember. And he also had several fumbles and a number of drops, and in general his completions gave us less bang for the buck than they had in previous years (measured in "success" plays like 1st downs and TDs). I do not rank his play as "great" in that year, and as I said I suspect his concussion in the previous year had a lot to do with it. He often looked lost on the field.

Sure Davis has a higher y/c, but he folks a different role than Cooley. Fred is a guy that wil always have a high y/c but will never be anywhere near the top of the receptions leader list.

Nonsense. He was on pace to be in the top 10 of the NFL for WR/TEs last year. Sure, his own stupid off-field mistake cost him the last four games, but to say he's not even capable of getting up there — with a quality QB throwing to him now — is certainly wrong.

Niles Paul to replace Fred Davis? I don't think the coaches are that stupid. In fact he looks more like Cooley's replacement to me.

Davis only signed a one-year deal because both the Redskins and Davis lacked an incentive to sign anything long-term. The Skins because he might very well get knocked out of the league for a year, and Davis because he stands to make much more money by putting his head down and having a great season. I hope he keeps himself clean and we resign him when the time comes.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:11 am

Irn-Bru wrote:I hope he keeps himself clean and we resign him when the time comes.

This MUST happen. He's an elite talent that's been held back multiple factors, some of which are on him and others that aren't.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:26 am

I'd love it if Cooley can make the squad - one thing's for sure - he's not making it based on what he did or what a good teammate he is

there's going to be competition for every spot and while I'd love for Cooley to make the final 53 I doubt that he will

Davis gets a year to show the coaches that he's worth keeping - he'd better show that he's committed to the franchise or he's gone
I could care less what sort of numbers he puts up or how great he shows he is - if he's not totally committed, I hope they let him go

Cooley wants it badly and he's going to get a chance to earn his spot - we need to see the same dedication from Davis

this offense is going to be fun to watch - I can't wait :D
Robert Griffin is a franchise QB - we are very fortunate

The Redskins FO are working hard to add players that fit the short term plan & hopefully ensure a consistently competitive franchise

Hail to the Redskins

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:42 am

SkinsJock wrote:Cooley wants it badly and he's going to get a chance to earn his spot - we need to see the same dedication from Davis

Davis's dedication on the field isn't an issue. It's off the field that we start to question it. LOL I think he'll be fine, that's my gut feeling.

My gut tells me that Niles has been overhyped a bit. We need to reign back on what to expect, they should have never mentioned Sharpe in the same breath as him.

My gut tells me that Cooley may still be a bit gimpy. However, if he does make the team, he'll be a great outlet for RGIII.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:52 am

SkinsJock wrote:I'd love it if Cooley can make the squad - one thing's for sure - he's not making it based on what he did or what a good teammate he is

You mean that he'll need to be more than a good teammate to make the squad right? Cause the way I read it I thought you meant he wasn't a good one.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:54 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Davis's dedication on the field isn't an issue. It's off the field that we start to question it. LOL I think he'll be fine, that's my gut feeling.

My gut tells me that Niles has been overhyped a bit. We need to reign back on what to expect, they should have never mentioned Sharpe in the same breath as him.

My gut tells me that Cooley may still be a bit gimpy. However, if he does make the team, he'll be a great outlet for RGIII.

Your gut tells you quite a bit CLL !!! :lol:

Also, to hell wit Hankerson.. my gut TOLD me when we drafted him and STILL tells me that he sucks.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:10 am

I think that Davis is a really good player and teammate

Davis has to clearly show that there's ZERO chance of his making a bad choice again

- there's no doubt about his talent and ability on the field

The Redskins FO are working hard to add players that fit the short term plan & hopefully ensure a consistently competitive franchise

Hail to the Redskins

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:15 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:Cooley wants it badly and he's going to get a chance to earn his spot - we need to see the same dedication from Davis

Davis's dedication on the field isn't an issue. It's off the field that we start to question it. LOL I think he'll be fine, that's my gut feeling.

I agree with this ^^

Cooley is a clutch player and seems to thrive when the offense needs him
hopefully he can show that he's still able to do that

Hail to the Redskins

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:16 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:Davis's dedication on the field isn't an issue. It's off the field that we start to question it. LOL I think he'll be fine, that's my gut feeling.

Your gut tells you quite a bit CLL !!! :lol:

Also, to hell wit Hankerson.. my gut TOLD me when we drafted him and STILL tells me that he sucks.

I think your gut needs to have a meeting with your eyes.

HTTR 24-7.com; Film Sessions: Leonard Hankerson Goes Off vs. the Miami Dolphins
http://httr24-7.com/?p=1916

If you can't see that he was really start to heat up, and would have continued to progress if he hadn't got hurt, then you cant be helped.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:35 am

Thanks for posting that, Chris. I really had forgotten about Hankerson's performance in that game (must be because I tried to forget most things about that game :lol:).
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:39 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:I hope he keeps himself clean and we resign him when the time comes.

This MUST happen. He's an elite talent that's been held back multiple factors, some of which are on him and others that aren't.

I'm a little worried that we didn't do something to resign him this summer. Obviously there is risk involved because of the possible suspension, but now we risk losing an elite player at the end of the season.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:45 am

Irn-Bru wrote:Thanks for posting that, Chris. I really had forgotten about Hankerson's performance in that game (must be because I tried to forget most things about that game :lol:).

NP bruh.

I just don't get how people can't be excited about the kid.

- he was a rookie and played like a rookie in preseason. Redskin fans wanted Jerry Rice apparently. He had some drops and miscue's.... He was a rookie.

- then we hear reports from players and coaches... the kid is killing it in practice.

- and then he comes out and plays like this. he made great plays on the ball and showed an instinct to get YAC.

- that INT was his "fault" because he slipped. the INT wasn't Rex's fault (try saying that during the game) because he has to throw to a spot. Hank would have been there if he had not slipped. However, he showed great effort to chase down the runner.

He's shown a great desire, worth ehtic and skill.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football