Rumour Mill: Hankerson & Cooley

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:48 am

ATX_Skins wrote:Look, you guys can say whatever you want and I will obviously debate it, but I find both of these guys irrelevant with what we are doing.

I can see your case with Cooley somewhat given Fred Davis' play last year. Not sure I could buy that Hankerson is irrelevant to what the Redskins are doing though. He's a young guy at a position of need that they spent a 3d round pick on last year.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:48 pm

Someone wake me up the first time Davis out performs Cooley when Cooley is healthy. It hasn't happened yet. Heck Cooleys knee was an issue for the better part of the 2010 season and only two TEs had better seasons than him (and neither were Fred Davis.

People act like it has been years since Cooley had been dominant. It was one season.

Davis may end up being the #1 TE for the Skins this season, but he had never proven he can be more productive than a healthy Cooley.

Non-factor... Just retarded!

If the coaches thought Cooley was likely to be a non-factor, with the cap number he has, he would be gone!

Niles Paul looks more like a replacement for Davis. If Davis doesn't sign a long term deal by 4pm today, he may be starting his last year with the Skins! If the Skins don't want to commit to FD long term, then maybe they have more faith in Cooley than him.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Postby skinsfan#33 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:49 pm

Someone wake me up the first time Davis out performs Cooley when Cooley is healthy. It hasn't happened yet. Heck Cooleys knee was an issue for the better part of the 2010 season and only two TEs had better seasons than him (and neither were Fred Davis.

People act like it has been years since Cooley had been dominant. It was one season.

Davis may end up being the #1 TE for the Skins this season, but he had never proven he can be more productive than a healthy Cooley.

Non-factor... Just retarded!

If the coaches thought Cooley was likely to be a non-factor, with the cap number he has, he would be gone!

Niles Paul looks more like a replacement for Davis. If Davis doesn't sign a long term deal by 4pm today, he may be starting his last year with the Skins! If the Skins don't want to commit to FD long term, then maybe they have more faith in Cooley than him.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

cleg

Postby cleg » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:09 pm

I happen to think this WILL be Davis' last season with the Skins. I don't think they like the threat of the full year suspension and if Niles Paul can play at all I could easily see Shanny being comfortable with Paul and/or Cooley/draft pick/mid-level type FA.

If the starter of this thread is correct I would worry about Hankerson. I was really excited about him when they drafted him and was hoping he would be the #1 guy. I guess we will see.
Drinking the Kool-Aid again...

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:19 pm

cleg wrote:I happen to think this WILL be Davis' last season with the Skins. I don't think they like the threat of the full year suspension and if Niles Paul can play at all I could easily see Shanny being comfortable with Paul and/or Cooley/draft pick/mid-level type FA.

If the starter of this thread is correct I would worry about Hankerson. I was really excited about him when they drafted him and was hoping he would be the #1 guy. I guess we will see.
To be a successful franchise, you've got to figure out how to get Fred under contract. If you then elect to trade him, your hope is that whatever contract you sign him to is cap friendly and worthy of the compensation you'll receive on the trade. That goes for Chris Cooley as well. Get his contract cap friendly and trade friendly so you have the flexibility to make something happen if you need to.

Hog

Postby Hooligan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:37 pm

cleg wrote:If the starter of this thread is correct I would worry about Hankerson. I was really excited about him when they drafted him and was hoping he would be the #1 guy. I guess we will see.

Last season made me think we had another Malcolm Kelly scenario. That is, until I remembered that Hank actually got on the field and produced.

I think that even IF Hank turns out to be fragile and injury-prone, he'll be a legit threat on the field in a deep WR corps. Maybe it'll help keep his contracts reasonably low? Maybe if he puts together a good season or two, but is injury prone, he'll be trade material?
"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:41 pm

I love how people become so entrenched in an opinion of which they have no valid evidence to support. Lmao
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:31 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:I love how people become so entrenched in an opinion of which they have no valid evidence to support. Lmao

+1 :?
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:17 pm

frankcal20 wrote:The issue with Cooley is that if he isn't healthy, he's got a big contract number. Something of which the Redskins don't have a lot of and given his lack of production, it may be wise for the Redskins to restructure his contract to a more cap friendly number, give him a few more years and go from there. That way if you chose to trade him, it won't kill you.

i hope, if anything, this is what happens.... give the captain of chaos a chance if not restructure his contract and give him a chance to prove he is still that go to beast we all have come to love
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:20 pm

cowboykillerzRED wrote:
frankcal20 wrote:The issue with Cooley is that if he isn't healthy, he's got a big contract number. Something of which the Redskins don't have a lot of and given his lack of production, it may be wise for the Redskins to restructure his contract to a more cap friendly number, give him a few more years and go from there. That way if you chose to trade him, it won't kill you.

i hope, if anything, this is what happens.... give the captain of chaos a chance if not restructure his contract and give him a chance to prove he is still that go to beast we all have come to love
The past two years I silently questioned his commitment to football after his success. I think one big problem was that players who played under Zorn got soft and when Mike came in, it took some guys a bit to get their focus back.

Chris was doing the pottery thing, promoting it, etc. which is fine and all but the true FB studs live and breath it. I think that's what he's been doing. No more website, tshirt sales, etc. You don't hear him which in my opinion is what you want. See London Fletcher.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:36 pm

true.. as much as id love to see him w a reality show- i can wait until he retires as the best redskins TE EVER!
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:14 am

I read this on Cooley from Rich Tandler:
--On NFL.com my friend Brian McIntyre wrote that Chris Cooley’s knee has to stay healthy if the two-time Pro Bowl tight end is going to stay on the roster. It’s true that the team will be reluctant to pay him $3.8 million this year if he can’t stay on the field. But as of right now there is no reason to think that Cooley’s knee, which had to be drained multiple times last year before he went on injured reserve, will not be good to go this year. He did not wear a knee brace during OTA’s and he appeared to be moving just fine. He also dropped 15 pounds, creating less stress on his knees. Things could change when the pads go on and the strain on the knee increases but for right now he is not an injury concern.

After reading this, I got a glimmer of hope that Cooley will recover. I even forgot about the nagging groin strain in the OTA's.

But then I read the article from Tandler's friend, Brian McIntyre, NFL.com:
Potential camp casualty: Knee injuries limited tight end Chris Cooley to just eight receptions in five games last season. In fact, the two-time Pro Bowl pick had his knee drained 15 times, or as official playing-time documents show, once for every 11.6 snaps he played last season. The newly 30-year-old Cooley has acknowledged he's slower than he once was, and he's now the No. 2 tight end in Washington behind Fred Davis. If Cooley's knee continues to be an issue, it might be hard for Mike Shanahan (who outed Cooley's knee drainage issues last season) to keep the veteran around on a $3.8 million base salary.

The nagging groin injury has me concerned. Was that related to overcompensating for knee injuries? Another issue is chronic knee problems do not go away.

I am hoping that Cooley is on this team for next year, but I am not optimistic that his knee problems are done.

http://www.realredskins.com/rich-tandle ... to-go.html

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... h-redskins[/quote]
Last edited by Red_One43 on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:18 am

If he had the surgery needed to fix the knee and rehabbed correctly, he should be fine. He's got to be smart. If he's a smart guy, you're going to the Redskins to essentially get an extension b/c they could use the cap space.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:31 am

Red_One43 wrote:I read this on Cooley from Rich Tandler:
--On NFL.com my friend Brian McIntyre wrote that Chris Cooley’s knee has to stay healthy if the two-time Pro Bowl tight end is going to stay on the roster. It’s true that the team will be reluctant to pay him $3.8 million this year if he can’t stay on the field. But as of right now there is no reason to think that Cooley’s knee, which had to be drained multiple times last year before he went on injured reserve, will not be good to go this year. He did not wear a knee brace during OTA’s and he appeared to be moving just fine. He also dropped 15 pounds, creating less stress on his knees. Things could change when the pads go on and the strain on the knee increases but for right now he is not an injury concern.

After reading this, I got a glimmer of hope that Cooley will recover. I even forgot about the nagging groin strain in the OTA's.

But then I read the atricle from Tandler's friend, Brian McIntyre, NFL.com:
Potential camp casualty: Knee injuries limited tight end Chris Cooley to just eight receptions in five games last season. In fact, the two-time Pro Bowl pick had his knee drained 15 times, or as official playing-time documents show, once for every 11.6 snaps he played last season. The newly 30-year-old Cooley has acknowledged he's slower than he once was, and he's now the No. 2 tight end in Washington behind Fred Davis. If Cooley's knee continues to be an issue, it might be hard for Mike Shanahan (who outed Cooley's knee drainage issues last season) to keep the veteran around on a $3.8 million base salary.

The nagging groin injury has me concerned. Was that related to overcompensating for knee injuries? Another issue is chronic knee problems do not go away.

I am hoping that Cooley is on this team for next year, but I am not optimistic that his knee problems are done.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... h-redskins

Tandler's article stated everything that was in McIntyre's. Sounds to me like he's ready to go.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:04 am

Deadskins wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:I read this on Cooley from Rich Tandler:

But then I read the atricle from Tandler's friend, Brian McIntyre, NFL.com:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... h-redskins

Tandler's article stated everything that was in McIntyre's. Sounds to me like he's ready to go.

McIntrye is clearly saying that there is concern with Cooley's knee. He brings up the peculiarity of Mike "outing" Cooley's knee drainage last year. McIntrye doesn't go into what point he is trying to make of that "outing," but he is clearly placing negative connotations on it. McIntyre's conclusion is that is reason to believe that Cooley is a possible camp casualty possibly due to knee issues.

Tandler, on the other hand, looks a the same information, minus Cooley being "slower" and chooses to ignore the "outing" comment, and concludes that there is no reason to conclude that Cooley is an injury concern, right now.

Both writers do not mention Cooley's groin problems during the OTAs which could be due to compensating for his knee injury. Both writers provide enought to be concerned when training camp starts. Tandler mentions the strain of being in full pads. Neither writer mentions that Cooley has never definitively said that his knee is healthy.

Cooley:
“I feel the best I’ve felt,” he said. “It’s to the point that I trust I’m healthy. It’s tough to know but I’ve worked hard enough and ran hard enough and I’ve had no swelling.”

If Cooley thinks that it is "tough to know," then I guess that it is tough to know for all of us.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/sports/re ... ove/637926

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football