Kirk Cousins

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:23 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:I like Rex. He shouldn't be at the top of our depth chart, but when he gets into the game it's not like we have no chance of winning.

Sexy is good insurance for the young crop of qbs...
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:02 pm

tribeofjudah wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:I like Rex. He shouldn't be at the top of our depth chart, but when he gets into the game it's not like we have no chance of winning.

Sexy is good insurance for the young crop of qbs...

good insurance?

[-X [-X [-X

I will leave it at insurance at best.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:35 am

After Griff and Cousins name 62 QBs better than Rex!

Guy is a good back-up.

From the article in the other thread:

The Redskins had drafted another quarterback, Michigan State’s Kirk Cousins, in April, a decision widely criticized by analysts on ESPN and the NFL Network, but it gave Griffin a natural study partner.

During much of May, the rookies roomed together at a suites hotel a mile and a half from Redskins Park, where they spent most of their evenings in their living room, on opposite sides of a coffee table, poring over their playbooks and taking nightly quizzes.

I like Cousins to be our back-up though. No real reason to wait.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:50 pm

DarthMonk wrote:After Griff and Cousins name 62 QBs better than Rex!

DarthMonk

Including Griff and Cousins, name 62 NFL QBs; period.

I get what you're trying to say, but come on, that threshold is only slightly less meaningful than the "I wouldn't kick her out of bed standard"

The debate about Rex being a good back up or not is a lot more interesting and even sided than whether he's a good starter. HOWEVER, the swing issue is trust. Some of us don't trust Rex to carry water in a bucket without turning it over and others seem to think if you limit his opportunities to win the game for the other team (I guess by his being a back up or something) he's less likely to hurt you.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:03 pm

Cousins vs. Grossman as back up.

I think the Seattle game from last year supports both sides going in to camp:

1. In the first quarter - Grossman is 13 of 14 passing and leads us to a TD on the first drive.

This the guy - you want for your back up.

2. In the second and third quarters - Grossman is 6 of 13 with 2 INTs.

You do not want this guy on your team.

3. In the 4th quarter, Grossman is 7 of 8. His only mistake is a fumble late in the game. He recovered it, but it killed the momentum and we later had to punt.

This guy is a serviceable back up until Cousins gets ready.

Summary:
The 1st and 4th quarters support Grossman as back up for this season.
The 2nd and 3rd quarters say, send him packing with Cousins as the back up.

Why Cousins should be the back up:

1. If Grossman is our first guy off the bench, you might get any combination of those 4 quarters - you never know, but the probability is higher that you get the 3rd and the 4th more than than 1st and 2nd.

2. If Shanny can turn the reins over to RGIII as starter because his skill set fits the O, he has football smarts, and arm strength, then why not Cousins, as back up, with better mobility and arm strength than Grossman. Rookie mistakes? You get those kind of mistakes with Grossman.

3. When you watch a guy like 5th round draft choice, T.J. Yates (Houston), come in and handle the O like he did with no offseason, then why not Cousins with a full offseason (includes a 10 day rookie earlier report day with him being the top QB for two days)?

4. The Shanaplan has Cousins and Grossman splitting the reps 50/50. The back up job is Cousins to take.

http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/ ... ay-by-play
Last edited by Red_One43 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:34 am

I understand and mostly agree with the reasoning why Rex will definitely be here this season. Still, if Cousins is remotely capable, I'd personally have no problem with Shanny throwing caution to the wind and going with just the two rookies. Especially if it means being able to hold on to a young player at another position and means more reps for Cousins at the #2 spot.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:24 am

I'm glad they brought in Cousins and I'm looking forward to his being able to be the #2 QB behind RGIII - that will take time

I'm glad that Rex is here to help both RGIII and Cousins - I certainly hope that we never need him to play QB for more than a play or 2
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:51 am

Red_One43 wrote:1. If Grossman is our first guy off the bench, you might get any combination of those 4 quarters - you never know, but the probability is higher that you get the 3rd and the 4th more than than 1st and 2nd.

You "might"???

You will!!!

He will do enough to make us competitive, -and- enough damage to make us lose. He cannot be trusted. He will do enough good to be cancelled by enough bad?

People want him as "backup" and then hope he never plays. Why? Might as well save the roster spot for somebody with a future. God knows we need to develop some other positions. Enough is enough, I say keep Grossman for training camp but only if Cousins does not live up to the Draft expectations at this time.

Grossman might be -insurance-, he is definitely not GOOD insurance. Trade him for something with a future! There might be another team desperate for a serviceable QB or a backup. :idea:
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:07 pm

Redskin in Canada wrote:Grossman might be -insurance-, he is definitely not GOOD insurance. :idea:

He good enough to go in a finish a game if RGIII goes down. That would give the Shannies almost a week to get Cousins ready if RGIII will miss any time. he also good insurance if they go with Cousins and he proves not to be ready when called on.

Redskin in Canada wrote:Trade him for something with a future! There might be another team desperate for a serviceable QB or a backup.

He's the only quarterback on the roster that has not only taken NFL snaps in this offense he has done it with this offense. Playing for the vet min and giving the cap strapped team a one-third discount.

What are they going to get for him that's better than what he gives them now?

The drafting of RGIII and Cousins kind of says the future starts now. Grossman will be here ONE more year MAX.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:15 pm

Redskin in Canada wrote:People want him as "backup" and then hope he never plays. Why? Might as well save the roster spot for somebody with a future. God knows we need to develop some other positions. Enough is enough, I say keep Grossman for training camp but only if Cousins does not live up to the Draft expectations at this time.

I'm completely with you man. I don't expect the Skins to get anything in a trade for Rex, but there may be some tough decisions to make getting the roster down to 53. Maybe by letting Rex go, you get to hang on to one of those young players.

Everybody seems to be ok with RGIII learning on the job this year. Why not take your lumps with developing Cousins at the same time?

Hog

Postby Mississippiskinsfan2 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:35 pm

riggofan wrote:
Redskin in Canada wrote:People want him as "backup" and then hope he never plays. Why? Might as well save the roster spot for somebody with a future. God knows we need to develop some other positions. Enough is enough, I say keep Grossman for training camp but only if Cousins does not live up to the Draft expectations at this time.

I'm completely with you man. I don't expect the Skins to get anything in a trade for Rex, but there may be some tough decisions to make getting the roster down to 53. Maybe by letting Rex go, you get to hang on to one of those young players.

Everybody seems to be ok with RGIII learning on the job this year. Why not take your lumps with developing Cousins at the same time?

+1

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:55 pm

This is really a no brainer - Grossman is ONLY here to help the other 2 to get ready to play

there is NO reason to get rid of him ..... yet :roll:
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:14 pm

Redskin in Canada wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:1. If Grossman is our first guy off the bench, you might get any combination of those 4 quarters - you never know, but the probability is higher that you get the 3rd and the 4th more than than 1st and 2nd.

You "might"???

You will!!!

LMAO!

"You will" is definitely more accurate! :lol:

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:00 pm

1niksder wrote:The drafting of RGIII and Cousins kind of says the future starts now. Grossman will be here ONE more year MAX.

I could see him hanging on a 2nd and 3rd year, especially if he brings much value in a quasi-coaching role. I suspect that's not Rex's strength, though.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby the poster » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:53 pm

riggofan wrote:
Redskin in Canada wrote:Everybody seems to be ok with RGIII learning on the job this year.

especially the Rams.

Why not take your lumps with developing Cousins at the same time?

because that doesn't happen, that's why. no veteran head coach , who is paid millions of dollars, to make a football team entertain a football teams customers for 8 Sunday's a year is going to "just take his lumps"

owner: so why don't we have an experienced backup now that the starter is hurt?
coach: well, were just gonna take our lumps this year boss. like last year. and the year before. by the way, when do I get paid?

if you don't think so, I'll be willing to bet you 2,000 bucks right now that grossman is the backup, provided he's healthy, on week one?

serious bets only.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football