Jammal Brown on PUP list

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Jammal Brown on PUP list

Postby riggofan » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:21 pm

I hope its ok to start a new thread on this. But what's the story on Jammal Brown?? Is the PUP list for him a big concern or just a precautionary/temporary thing?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... _blog.html
Washington Redskins starting right tackle Jammal Brown will open training camp on the Redskins’ Physically Unable to Perform list, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.

Brown wasn’t onhand for his team’s first walkthrough and practice sessions of training camp Thursday.

PUP list delegation means a player didn’t pass his training camp physical and hasn’t received clearance to practice. Brown can be activated off the PUP list at any time, as long as he passes his physical.

Brown - who started the last two years for Washington, but ended both seasons in Injured Reserve - has spent the offseason rehabbing his problematic right hip.

Brown had surgery on the hip in 2009, missed the entire season and then was traded to Washington from New Orleans during the 2010 offseason.

Redskins coach Mike Shanahan has said Brown - who re-signed with Washington in 2011 - needs a good offseason to remain on the team.

Brown and his coaches were both pleased with his progress, and said yoga had helped improve his mobility. Brown wasn’t limited in OTAs, but the Redskins have not commented on his absence Thursday afternoon. A spokesman said Shanahan would address it during his post-practice press conference.

Hog

Postby Hooligan » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:31 pm

That's not a good sign, but the backups were looking pretty good out there late last season. Open competition doesn't worry me a bit.
"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:35 pm

Checking on Twitter, all the sportwriters are saying that we will have to wait until Shanny's press conference later today. They are expecting to get much out of it, other than, Brown is on the PUP.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:49 pm

Paulsen wrote that Tyler Polumbus was starting at RT again in practice today.

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:01 pm

Wtf. Not good
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:33 pm

Redskins coach Mike Shanahan confirmedthat tackle Jammal Brown has been placed on the Physically Unable to Perform list because of an injury to his hip. Shanahan said Brown was running well yesterday afternoon, but aggravated the hip during his “sixth or seventh gasser,” and will be evaluated by doctors. Shanahan said he didn’t know how long Brown will be sidelined.

Shanahan said Tyler Polumbus and Maurice Hurt will split time at right tackle in place of Brown.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:03 pm

At best, Brown may not last the entire season EVEN if he recovers in time to start.

I think Skins will make a quick decision based on the MRI scan. They should have signed Demetrius Bell when they could. Hopefully, somebody may become available to fill this hole for additional depth.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:11 pm

... but aggravated the hip during his “sixth or seventh gasser,” ...

Crap! It's not even my hip and I feel a bit demoralized.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:47 am

Urgh... offensive line is arguably our weakest position, and with a rookie QB, it's probably our most important. Jammal Brown has been injured/ineffective for two years, I don't think we can count on him to make a meaningful contribution to the Redskins.

Hopefully we can replace him, but I don't see a good replacement on the current roster.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:24 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:Urgh... offensive line is arguably our weakest position, and with a rookie QB, it's probably our most important. Jammal Brown has been injured/ineffective for two years, I don't think we can count on him to make a meaningful contribution to the Redskins.

Hopefully we can replace him, but I don't see a good replacement on the current roster.

Mo Hurt has been moved to RT to compete with Will Smith (who did a pretty good job as Brown's replacement last season). It's not a new position for Hurt considering they moved him from tackle to guard after they drafted him last season.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:41 pm

Rich Tandler‏@Rich_Tandler

Jammal Brown's 2012 cap hit is $4.55 million #Redskins #RedskinsTalk http://bit.ly/O9n4EB

Decisions, decisions, decisions! Do you keep him on the PUP for the fist 6 weeks of the season or risk him hobbling through the season and having to shut him down. I am thinking PUP. A third option would be to cut him and not have to pay him and live with the dead cap money.

Decisions! Decisions! Decisions!

Do I have the details right 1nik?

Postby 1niksder » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:02 pm

Red_One43 wrote:

Jammal Brown's 2012 cap hit is $4.55 million #Redskins #RedskinsTalk http://bit.ly/O9n4EB

Decisions, decisions, decisions! Do you keep him on the PUP for the fist 6 weeks of the season or risk him hobbling through the season and having to shut him down. I am thinking PUP. A third option would be to cut him and not have to pay him and live with the dead cap money.

Under the new rules they can put one player on IR after week one starts and re-activate him six weeks later to practice, that player can play two weeks later (this would free up a roster spot for six weeks or so). That could be a option if he makes it off the PUP.

If they cut him they will save $3.25M (his Base Salary in 2012) with a dead cap # of $1.5M this year and $4.5M in dead cap next year
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:10 pm

1niksder wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:

Under the new rules they can put one player on IR after week one starts and re-activate him six weeks later to practice, that player can play two weeks later (this would free up a roster spot for six weeks or so). That could be a option if he makes it off the PUP.

If they cut him they will save $3.25M (his Base Salary in 2012) with a dead cap # of $1.5M this year and $4.5M in dead cap next year

MRI on Tuesday.

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:57 am

Does anybody here truly believe he can contribute anything other than advice to younger players this season...?

He broke down in sprints. Not the twisting and turning that the exertion of full contact football brings. His hip is cattle-trucked, end of.

He'll be released. We will then have to keep our eyes open for an experienced RT who doesn't make their team elsewhere.

I like Smith and Polumbus, they did well considering the circumstances they were thrown in on last year, and they'll be better with a full pre-season under their belts with no lock-out, but I want an experienced head in there this season ideally.
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football