Jammal Brown on PUP list

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:09 am

He's a hipster
SPIT HAPPENS!!

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:14 am

cowboykillerzRED wrote:That would be most unpleasant in the hip... Unless my Dr just enjoys cruel and unusual punishment the shot I got in my shoulder was worse then getting my knee drained- multiple times- after an ACL sx.
I don't think its something that one can do to often however, and I'd guess he had a shot before camp started just for good measure.

Cortisone generally just breaks up any bodies that may be in the hip. So I'm one of few 33 year olds who have gout. I've had to get cortisone shots in my toes on a number of times and it breaks up bodies that build up in the joint. Sure it's painful but at the same time, the relief it offers is GREAT.

There used to be concern that cortisone would break down the cartilage in the joint but after much research, they've shown that it doesn't happen as they expected.

Having had 5 surgeries on my left knee (ACL & Meniscus every time) I can tell you that 90% of correcting an injury is rehab. Tells me something he's doing isn't right conditioning wise. I also would be willing to bet that if he were to get cut, he would find himself on another squad playing through it. Guys get lazy and comfortable once they're paid. Not saying he did but it happens all the time.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:43 pm

frankcal20 wrote:
cowboykillerzRED wrote:That would be most unpleasant in the hip... Unless my Dr just enjoys cruel and unusual punishment the shot I got in my shoulder was worse then getting my knee drained- multiple times- after an ACL sx.
I don't think its something that one can do to often however, and I'd guess he had a shot before camp started just for good measure.

Cortisone generally just breaks up any bodies that may be in the hip. So I'm one of few 33 year olds who have gout. I've had to get cortisone shots in my toes on a number of times and it breaks up bodies that build up in the joint. Sure it's painful but at the same time, the relief it offers is GREAT.

There used to be concern that cortisone would break down the cartilage in the joint but after much research, they've shown that it doesn't happen as they expected.

Having had 5 surgeries on my left knee (ACL & Meniscus every time) I can tell you that 90% of correcting an injury is rehab. Tells me something he's doing isn't right conditioning wise. I also would be willing to bet that if he were to get cut, he would find himself on another squad playing through it. Guys get lazy and comfortable once they're paid. Not saying he did but it happens all the time.

What is cortisone?
Cortisone is a type of steroid that is produced naturally by a gland in your body called the adrenal gland. Cortisone is released from the adrenal gland when your body is under stress. Natural cortisone is released into the blood stream and is relatively short-acting.
Injectable cortisone is synthetically produced and has many different trade names (e.g. Celestone, Kenalog, etc.), but is a close derivative of your body's own product. The most significant differences are that synthetic cortisone is not injected into the blood stream, but into a particular area of inflammation. Also, the synthetic cortisone is designed to act more potently and for a longer period of time (days instead of minutes).

How does the cortisone injection help?
Cortisone is a powerful anti-inflammatory medication. Cortisone is not a pain relieving medication, it only treats the inflammation. When pain is decreased from cortisone it is because the inflammation is diminished. By injecting the cortisone into a particular area of inflammation, very high concentrations of the medication can be given while keeping potential side-effects to a minimum. Cortisone injections usually work within a few days, and the effects can last up to several weeks.

Does the cortisone injection hurt?
The shot can be slightly painful, especially when given into a joint, but in skilled hands it usually is well tolerated. Often the cortisone injection can be performed with a very small needle that causes little discomfort. However, sometimes a slightly larger needle must be used, especially if your physician is attempting to removed fluid through the needle prior to injecting the cortisone. Numbing medication, such as Lidocaine or Marcaine, is often injected with the cortisone to provide temporary relief of the affected area. Also, topical anesthetics can help numb the skin in an area being injected.

It would be interesting to know if and when Brown has gotten such injections. He may be pulling a "Landry" and avoiding such things by doing pilates and yoga.

:-k
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:50 pm

Let's hope not. They just said on the radio that he actually hasn't spoken with his own doctor yet to get a diagnosis but the Med staff want him to rest and rehab. He's upset b/c that's what he's done for basically two years and it's still in pain. Will update once he delivers the news from his own doctor.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:32 pm

frankcal20 wrote:

I got that shot in my foot a couple years ago. FREAKING PAINFUL. I thought maybe it hurt so bad just because it was a shot in the foot.

Man, you are right about the RELIEF.

frankcal20 wrote:Having had 5 surgeries on my left knee (ACL & Meniscus every time) I can tell you that 90% of correcting an injury is rehab. Tells me something he's doing isn't right conditioning wise. I also would be willing to bet that if he were to get cut, he would find himself on another squad playing through it. Guys get lazy and comfortable once they're paid. Not saying he did but it happens all the time.

Probably some truth in that. Then again, he is 6'6", 300+ lbs.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:31 pm

More Cap explanations and Redskin options. Rich Campbell.

5-year, $27.5 million contract the Redskins gave him in July 2011.

There remains $4.4 million of guaranteed bonus money.

Brown is scheduled to count $4.553 million against the salary cap in 2012, but he would count only $1.1 million if the Redskins released him before this season. That’s $3.453 million in cap savings.

In that scenario, however, Brown’s remaining $3.3 million in bonus money would count against the Redskins’ cap in 2013, a season in which they are scheduled to absorb an $18 million penalty.

The $3.3 million hit in 2013 also would apply if the Redskins placed Brown on injured reserve before this season and released him any time before June 1, 2013. It also would apply if Brown retired.

If the Redskins waited until after June 1, 2013 to release Brown, he’d count $1.1 million against the 2013 cap and $2.2 million against 2014. That scenario could be attractive because the Redskins’ salary cap penalties expire in 2013.

As the Redskins decide what to do with Brown, they must consider whether they need the $3.453 million of 2012 cap space they’d save by releasing him. Any remaining free agents or players cut in September wouldn’t be expensive additions.

Another option: Washington could keep Brown and his $4.553 million cap number on the roster all season, see if he could get healthy, decide on his status after next June 1 and possibly save $1.1 million on their penalty-reduced 2013 cap. And if Brown were to get healthy (a seemingly unlikely scenario since he hasn’t been healthy since his hip surgery in 2009), then the Redskins have a backup tackle.

Keep in mind that Brown’s contract calls for a non-guaranteed 2012 base salary of $3.25 million. He’ll get $191,176 for each week he’s on the active roster, reserve/physically-unable-to-perform list or injured reserve.

No matter what the Redskins do, Brown’s inability to get healthy so soon after signing his contract is going to cost them.

Posted earlier on this thread, Rich Tandler pointed out that if the Skins cut Brown, they could save the $3.453 million in cap savings and let it carry over to next year and offset, his $3.3 million camp hit for 2013.

I my guess is most folks would say cut him now and save the $3.453 mil, but would you use the savings this year or roll it over to next when we suffer another $18 mil hit?

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:26 pm

Red_One43 wrote:Posted earlier on this thread, Rich Tandler pointed out that if the Skins cut Brown, they could save the $3.453 million in cap savings and let it carry over to next year and offset, his $3.3 million camp hit for 2013.

I my guess is most folks would say cut him now and save the $3.453 mil, but would you use the savings this year or roll it over to next when we suffer another $18 mil hit?

My numbers say he'll save the team $3.25M if cut now, with $1.5M in Dead Cap this year. His current cap hit for 2013 is $5M so a $4.5M dead cap number next year looks like a $500K savings going into next year.

The team currently has just over $6M in cap space and cutting Brown now would push the team closer to my projected carryover amount of $10M and having them right around $9M+ with more room coming as the team gets down to 53.

IMHO they should just let him go with a injury settlement unless they think he'll come off the PUP before the end of training camp. Either way I think they should just more on.

He's always been said to be one of the best offensive linemen on the team when healthy... however he was NEVER healthy as a Washington Redskins.

TIME TO MOVE ON
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football