Saturday Morning Quick-Hitters

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Saturday Morning Quick-Hitters

Postby 1niksder » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:00 pm

Going Camping: Saturday Morning Quick-Hitters

Keenan Robinson expects to be a force on special teams

A 23-year-old inside linebacker from the University of Texas, the Redskins drafted Robinson in the fourth round (with the 119th pick) this past April. The 6-foot-3, 242-pound defender played both outside and inside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme in college, but he’ll play inside the tackle box in Washington’s 3-4 alignment.

Robinson hopes to see playing time on defense this season, but he is realistic about the role he’ll be asked to play in his inaugural season.

“Rookies are always expected to play special teams,” he said. “Obviously I’m going to play that and be a major role in that. For me, the competition at linebacker is really deep but that just gives me a better chance to showcase my ability. If I can beat those guys out, that means I belong.”

The former high school All-American is hoping that his experience in the 3-4 in college will make his transition to the NFL easier.

Barry Cofield is looking forward to his second season as a nose tackle

Added just before the start of training camp a year ago, Cofield believes his game-experience at nose tackle and the full offseason he spent mastering his role should garner improved results in 2012. He says he can play better than he did in his first season in Washington, a campaign that he admittedly referred to as a growing process with no offseason to learn a position he had never played before.

“I go back and watch a lot of Casey Hampton Steelers tape throughout the years. He’s kind of the godfather of the nose tackle position as we play it today and he did it well,” Cofield said. “There’s some things that I can do with my athleticism that I bring to the position that not a lot of other guys do.

Cofield is looking forward to not having to think while he is on the field, something he said he was able to do during his six seasons with the New York Giants.

“I wasn’t happy with the way I played last year,” Cofield added. “I expect a lot of growth this year.”

The 28-year-old, run-stuffer batted a team-high eight passes at the line of scrimmage and tallied three sacks last season.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:05 pm

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:07 am

This was posted elsewhere by red-one, but can't remember where now:

Redskin's report

Especially like this part:

6. Ryan Kerrigan worked on pass rush moves from the right side in the one-on-one drills against the offensive line. (Yes, first full pad workout which brought out my favorite drill). But the first time he went against Trent Williams, Kerrigan tried to go upfield then spin inside and was stopped.

7. By the way, Williams looks really good. The coaches say he’s in the best shape of his career and it shows. I’d say he’s shed the label of a guy who’s not willing to work hard. He’s always moved well so that’s nothing new. But he seems intent on proving he’s a good player
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:12 pm

emoses14 wrote:This was posted elsewhere by red-one, but can't remember where now:

Redskin's report

6. Ryan Kerrigan worked on pass rush moves from the right side in the one-on-one drills against the offensive line. (Yes, first full pad workout which brought out my favorite drill). But the first time he went against Trent Williams, Kerrigan tried to go upfield then spin inside and was stopped.

7. By the way, Williams looks really good. The coaches say he’s in the best shape of his career and it shows. I’d say he’s shed the label of a guy who’s not willing to work hard. He’s always moved well so that’s nothing new. But he seems intent on proving he’s a good player

I like that part as well. Though I am clearly focused on the WR battle, this may prove to be the best news, outside of RGIII, coming from the first days of practice. Thanks for posting.

Hog

Postby the poster » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:38 pm

down in the area for a different event yesterday, I infiltrated your camp and was at practice for an hour.

my observations:

the good:
Pierre garçons career can follow a similar pattern that Santana moss did once he was traded to Washington. garçon can be legit #1.

the linebacking group are all good. and Kennan Robinson looks good.

the bad:
Kirk cousins is not ready for the NFL. he's a third stringer this year, no doubt. and this is not a big deal.

your offensive line SUCKS. pressure on every pass play from multiple sources. this IS a big deal.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:59 am

Red_One43 wrote:
emoses14 wrote:This was posted elsewhere by red-one, but can't remember where now:

Redskin's report

I like that part as well. Though I am clearly focused on the WR battle, this may prove to be the best news, outside of RGIII, coming from the first days of practice. Thanks for posting.

Thanks for sending the link out.

I can't wait to see how the line develops over camp. As every football fan with more than 5 minutes of following the NFL knows, you always take early, negative o-line play and news with a grain of salt given the traditional "head start" a defense front 7 has on any o-line at the beginning of camp, for every NFL team since the beginning of time. SO to hear positive o-line news early is noteworthy for sure.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby the poster » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:50 pm

emoses14 wrote:As every football fan with more than 5 minutes of following the NFL knows, you always take early, negative o-line play and news with a grain of salt given the traditional "head start" a defense front 7 has on any o-line at the beginning of camp,

yes, because every football fan with 5 minutes worth of experience knows that the redskins offensive line, of all teams, certainly deserves the benefit of the doubt because those five long minutes of fan experience has educated them on how successful their lines have been in recent years.

and since the RT is always hurt and has followed suit and already on PUP and the LG had an MCL AND an ACL and is already missing back to back practises (yeah, I know, it's nothing) and the rest are acting like a sieve from what I watched.....of course........no worries at all..........sure.........they of the lowly ranked offense year after year......of course........its MY fault somehow.

We'll see.

Hog

Postby HarleyHog » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:56 pm

may the TROLL awake some day to find his figgins hanging in a nearby tree
Everybody funny, now you funny too ...

"The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have." -Vince Lombardi

(BTW . . . we have RGIII now)

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:19 pm

Glad Trent has been reported as straight beast mode.. nice to bounce back from that suspension doing the right thing, he easily could have hung his head low and back peddled. Looking forward to actually seeing this offense in action vs the bills.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:27 pm

We have yet to see Trent's full potential. I'm hoping he commits to the year-long drive it's going to take to show he deserves to be the man protecting RGIII's blindside.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:56 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:We have yet to see Trent's full potential. I'm hoping he commits to the year-long drive it's going to take to show he deserves to be the man protecting RGIII's blindside.

Yeah, it's all about maturity with him, not talent.

Hopefully someone has been having a word with him and he's taken note. He has a chance to be a legend here, leading an evolving OL protecting a potential HOF QB as the team emerges from the shadows to compete for trophies once again.

Not a lot of people have that opportunity, it's good to hear he may have gotten to grips with it at last.
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:28 pm

Yeah. . .

Flagstaff, Ariz. - Cardinals defensive end Calais Campbell said this is the time in training camp where the defense will be ahead of the offense.

Cardinals defense ahead of the offense early in camp

By most accounts, including the account of head coach Chan Gailey, the defense is far ahead of the offense at this point in training camp.

"We have a lot of work to do on offense to be at (the defense's) level of play right now," Gailey told the media Saturday, according to BuffaloBills.com

Bills

The Jets held their ninth and final organized team activities session today, and the defense was ahead of the offense today.

Jets

Bears (that's a video, so no quote, sorry)

The defense dominated the day, though, when the team finally suited up in full pads on Day 3.
Head coach Joe Philbin pointed out that the defense typically has an edge when the pads first go on, as the offensive line struggles with the speed a little bit, but Andy Kent of MiamiDolphins.com writes that the defense was consistently getting pressure on the quarterback.

Dolphins

The Jaguars defense is way ahead of the offense, which is normal for this time of year.

Jaguars

Defense is ahead of offense this time of year. Its not an opinion. 5 minutes of google research; it pays off.

-Santana Moss on Our QB

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:33 pm

I'd like to mention our defensive front 7 is beast mode even from an outsiders perspective (with half a brain of course)

Speaking of front seven any news on how Jarvis Jenkins is doing so far?
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby the poster » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:55 pm

I know what I saw on Saturday, a bad looking offensive line. and the most important thing to say, regarding the infallible EXCUSE people are leaning on of "well, everyone's defense is ahead of the offense at this time of the year" is

1. I don't even believe that little catch phrase slash excuse is even true. at least not everywhere. the eagles and giants are reporting solid offensive offensive performances so far. I know, I live in their markets.

2. the Washington redskins and other historically pathetic offenses like the jaxsonville jaguars have not earned the benefit of the doubt to suggest that this is just some sort of early camp rust.

what I saw on Saturday, this guy saw today:

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blog ... t&id=41258

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:06 pm

More interesting then the patchwork line not gelling YET.. is that Garçon, Hanktime, and Morgan, dwarfed Moss but Moss still looks good and even the favorite for number 2. The plus side was the dline rotation sounds exceptional! So glad to finally read Jarvis Jenkins name.

Really interested to see how the safety battle rages on as well.

E for effort but H for blind Hater.. I can be a blind Homer time to time, but comeon now EVERY team has its weak points.. we have lessened those the best this FO can especially with this cap gate crap.

Oh ya my boy Royster is looking GOOD! Starter? I wonder who saw that coming- inside joke I definitely called it BEFORE Deadskins, and/or Darth, as well as every beat writer in DC. #justsayin

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football