Training Camp Daily Report Thread

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:36 pm

RGIII and Audibles

“We had a naked or a keeper on, and they were bringing weak-side pressure, so instead of keeping into the weak-side pressure, I just audibled to a run play,” Griffin said. “It is something that you have to get used to. I hadn’t really audibled all that much in college. Most of our stuff was pre-snap, so we had pre-snap audibles, but once we got into the play we were getting and going because we were running 90 plays a game. It was good to get out there and do that.”

Griffin’s elevated comfort level results from how the coaches have introduced him to the playbook and how they’re beginning to scheme for opponents.

When this coaching staff first arrived in 2010, offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan stated his preference to use audibles as little as possible.

“I don’t like O-linemen sitting and waiting at the line, looking,” Shanahan said in August 2010. “I want to get off, come up and have a tempo, have guys get off the ball and play fast. I don’t mind if we’ve got a bad play. Throw it in the flat and we’ll get a 3-yard gain. If he makes [the defender] miss, we’ve got a big play.”

“We usually have an answer built in to most of our plays,” Shanahan continued then. “Normally I just want him to get rid of it, throw it hot.”

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:30 pm

Red_One43 wrote:Bobby's "I Got It" Moment
Reflecting on the play, Griffin — who on Monday spoke to the media for the first time since he reviewed tape of his first pro game — recognized his own growth and comfort in the Redskins’ system because one thought never entered his mind during the three seconds he held the ball.

“The thought never crossed my mind to run,” said the athletic quarterback, who dazzled his way to the Heisman Trophy with his world-class speed and cannon of an arm. Instead, Griffin trusted his line, and his grasp of the play’s options told him that somewhere a receiver was running free.

“I went through my first three reads really confidently, knowing the protection was going to hold up, that at some point, one guy is going to be open, because on a lot of plays, one guy is wide open and the rest are blanketed,” Griffin explained after Monday’s practice.

Don't miss this article. Some great hints at RGIII's development in there.

Going through four reads and making a perfect throw. I'm sorry if this is needlessly offensive to ask, but remind me again of how long it took Jason Campbell to do the same thing?
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:38 pm

John Keim's 8/13 Practice Report

A few people have asked about Willie Smith. Well, he’s not in anyone’s doghouse. He just hasn’t been good enough to move past those ahead of him. Starting three games last year (and playing in four) didn’t mean he’d automatically improve. Sometimes players stay the same, even with experience (See: Heyer, Stephon). Anyway, Smith had some rough moments today. One occurred vs. Ryan Kerrigan; no shame in that. But it’s also the sort of player he must stop if he wants to win a job. More on Kerrigan in a minute. But Chris Wilson also beat Smith a few times. Wilson is a backup trying to win a roster spot. He’s had a good camp, too, and I’ve always enjoyed him. However, if Smith wants to contend for a starting job he needs to stop this sort of player. Period. Wilson popped into Smith’s shoulder pads on a play and stood him up. A quick throw prevented any real pressure. On the next play Wilson caught Smith leaning over too low after they engaged. Wilson jerked him to the side.

Willie Smith? See Heyer, Stephon? That can't be good.
Last edited by Red_One43 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:58 pm

Rich Campbell's 8/13 Practice Report

“Tempo is important,” Griffin said. “I thought our tempo was extremely good, even on the two drives that we went three-and-out on. I think getting to the line and kind of pressing the defense to make sure they’re ready at all times for whatever we’re going to bring is going to be something we can use to our advantage.”

Tempo was a problem in 2010 because QB Donovan McNabb did not command the playbook at the level Redskins coaches desired. Griffin is a rookie, but he’s ahead of where McNabb was at this point in camp. It will be interesting to see in the coming weeks how the offense presses the defense with Griffin in the game. If having a rookie quarterback doesn’t require the Redskins to sacrifice tempo, they’re that much better off.

When you think about which tight ends are going to make the final roster, don’t just consider Logan Pauslen a blocking tight end. Tight ends coach Sean McVay last week called Paulsen an underrated receiver, and his opinion counts.

Paulsen had two receptions during team drills Monday. He beat S Jordan Bernstine on a crossing route. Earlier, he outran ILB Donnell Holt down the seam. I wouldn’t say Paulsen is on Chris Cooley’s level as a pass catcher, but that part of his game shouldn’t be discounted.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:28 am

Mike Jone's Insider 8/13 Report

Griffin’s best throw of the day came on a straight drop-back – something he’s working to get more comfortable at. The quarterback dropped back and fit the ball between Alexander and fellow inside linebacker Bryan Kehl and into the hands of Santana Moss.

Kirk Cousins took a couple of snaps with the starting offense, and split time with Rex Grossman while running the second- and third-string offenses. He looked better than Grossman in Thursday’s preseason game, but it still would be surprising to see him overtake the veteran. Shanahan said Cousins continues to get a high number of snaps, particularly with the second and third teams to aid his development
Last edited by Red_One43 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:36 am

Red_One43 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:
It was a mixed bag for Gano, today, as he hit field goals from 37, 43, 51 and 52 yards. Rackers was perfect on the day, drilling kicks from 51, 52, 57 and 58 yards.

He makes it sound as if Gano missed some kicks, but he doesn't say how many or from how far. :(

Tandler to the Rescue
That said, Graham Gano couldn’t have been heartened by his performance Monday at Redskins Park. The incumbent place kicker made only 5 of his 9 field goal attempts, missing from 32, 49, 53 and 57.

Meantime, his challenger, Neil Rackers, was 9 for 9, easily splitting the uprights on each of them.

The two kicked from the same distances, with Gano kicking first.

In training camp practices, Gano is now unofficially 21 for 28, while Rackers is 25 for 28. Neither attempted a field goal in Thursday’s 7-6 preseason victory in Buffalo.

Here's Mike Jones' version. He has Rackers going 10 of 11 instead of 9 of 9. Hmmm!
It wasn’t a good day for Graham Gano, who missed four of 12 field goal attempts – three wide left and one wide right. His misses came from 32, 49, 53 and 57 yards out. Gano did have a successful 58-yard attempt. Meanwhile Neil Rackers was 10 for 11 with a long of 57. Rackers didn’t attempt a kick from 58 yards out. His miss came from 31 yards out. It’s interesting watching the two kickers’ styles. Gano’s seem to have less immediate lift, but plenty of distance, while Rackers’ kicks rise high above the line from the start. Rackers seems to follow through more on his kicks than Gano does.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... ll-insider

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:52 am

Irn-Bru wrote:
Reflecting on the play, Griffin — who on Monday spoke to the media for the first time since he reviewed tape of his first pro game — recognized his own growth and comfort in the Redskins’ system because one thought never entered his mind during the three seconds he held the ball.

“The thought never crossed my mind to run,” said the athletic quarterback, who dazzled his way to the Heisman Trophy with his world-class speed and cannon of an arm. Instead, Griffin trusted his line, and his grasp of the play’s options told him that somewhere a receiver was running free.

“I went through my first three reads really confidently, knowing the protection was going to hold up, that at some point, one guy is going to be open, because on a lot of plays, one guy is wide open and the rest are blanketed,” Griffin explained after Monday’s practice.

Going through four reads and making a perfect throw. I'm sorry if this is needlessly offensive to ask, but remind me again of how long it took Jason Campbell to do the same thing?

I'll let you know once he's done it.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:02 am

Irn-Bru wrote:

I don't think its needlessly offensive. Jason took forever to go through progressions (not to mention forever to get back and get set, which made the progression reads seem even slower). Recognizing the stark difference between him and Robert is child's play. Needlessly offensive was the jock sniffing for waste of time Colt Brennan as compared to Jason.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:13 am

emoses14 wrote:I don't think its needlessly offensive. Jason took forever to go through progressions (not to mention forever to get back and get set, which made the progression reads seem even slower). Recognizing the stark difference between him and Robert is child's play. Needlessly offensive was the jock sniffing for waste of time Colt Brennan as compared to Jason.

:lol: I know you have a thing about the Colt vs. Campbell people, but that was never me. I took a long, patient mindset with Campbell and wasn't interested in seeing him go until his last year here when I was finally convinced.

I never bought that "X coordinaters in Y years" line of thinking, either. What Campbell lacked is the kind of thing that can't be coached. As if we need any additional proof: Griffin just switched coordinators, and no one feels the need to make excuses for him.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:51 am

Irn-Bru wrote:
emoses14 wrote:I don't think its needlessly offensive. Jason took forever to go through progressions (not to mention forever to get back and get set, which made the progression reads seem even slower). Recognizing the stark difference between him and Robert is child's play. Needlessly offensive was the jock sniffing for waste of time Colt Brennan as compared to Jason.

:lol: I know you have a thing about the Colt vs. Campbell people, but that was never me. I took a long, patient mindset with Campbell and wasn't interested in seeing him go until his last year here when I was finally convinced.

I never bought that "X coordinaters in Y years" line of thinking, either. What Campbell lacked is the kind of thing that can't be coached. As if we need any additional proof: Griffin just switched coordinators, and no one feels the need to make excuses for him.

I know you weren't one of those people. Knee jerk seems not to be your style. Quite frankly, if not for those yahoos, I'd have bailed on Campbell a good two years before he left. I bought the "X coordinaters in Y years" talking point, if for no other reason than it was factually accurate. But it was a crutch. Although, to be fair, Griffin had 1 coordinator at BU for 3 years(or was it actually 4?) and has just now switched for the first time. BUT I still agree, Griffin is lightyears ahead of Campbell TODAY, let alone at comparable points in their career's.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:35 pm

Some players really want to be good and will try hard, on and off the field, to be as good as they can be

RGIII is one of those players that will do whatever it takes to be a great player

we need a few more pieces but the QB position is set for years
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:44 pm

Redskins.com Practice Report

Cousins continued his training camp aerial attack today, hitting Aldrick Robinson and running back Tristan Davis for long receptions. Robinson's resulted in a 70-yard touchdown catch and run, where he simply outran the defenders in the secondary.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:47 pm

Red_One43 wrote:Redskins.com Practice Report

Cousins continued his training camp aerial attack today, hitting Aldrick Robinson and running back Tristan Davis for long receptions. Robinson's resulted in a 70-yard touchdown catch and run, where he simply outran the defenders in the secondary.

Practice ended with the top offense squaring off against the top defense for training camp pride. As time expired on practice, Griffin III found Santana Moss slicing across the middle of the field and hit him in stride.

Moss streaked past defenders for a training camp-ending touchdown.

\:D/ :celebrate:

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:44 pm

John Keim's 8/14 Practice Report

Orakpo showed his spin move again, something he hasn’t used in previous seasons. It came vs. Tom Compton this time and when you’re a two-time Pro Bowler facing a rookie sixth-round pick you should win. That said, it was still a good move and caught Compton unprepared.

I have been wondering when Rak would start add the spin to his moves.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:06 pm

Tandler's 8/14 Practice Report

—Rookie linebacker Keenan Robinson is very active out on the field, moving from sideline to sideline. It doesn’t always look like he knows exactly what he’s doing but that will come with time.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football