Training Camp Daily Report Thread

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:23 pm

Deadskins wrote:A half seems like a long time for the second pre-season game. I hope they survive.

Not at all. Normally it's a few series (usually 1st QTR) in the first game, half in the 3rd, 3 qtrs in the 3rd and maybe one series in the 4th or if they've shown to be efficient in games 1-3, then they don't play in the 4th but I expect one or two series in the 4th due to the youth factor.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:27 pm

John Keim's Strategy and Personnel

And yet, the Redskins' revamped line was on the field for the eight-play, 80-yard drive that produced the game's only touchdown and winning margin last week's 7-6 preseason-opening victory at Buffalo. On the night, Washington managed just three yards a carry (other than kneel-downs) but didn't allow a sack in 38 dropbacks.

"Not perfect by any means, but I thought they played hard, and for the most part, played well," coach Mike Shanahan said.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:35 pm

John Keim's 8/16 Redskin Notes

The Redskins placed nose tackle Chris Neild on injured reserve. Neild suffered a season-ending ACL tear in practice earlier this week. The Redskins signed defensive lineman Marlon Favorite, who has spent time on five practice squads. He’s been signed by nine different teams, yet has never played in a game.

The Redskins also placed receiver Darius Hanks, who underwent major shoulder surgery, on injured reserve.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:28 am

Redskins to Use Some of Baylor’s Offense to Fit RGIII

It’s evident from the Washington Redskins’ training camp that the team plans to utilize rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III’s athletic ability in every way imaginable. They are even going so far as to put in parts of the offense Griffin excelled in at the University of Baylor.

“It’s been an interesting training camp for us because we are implementing some of the things that Robert did very well at Baylor,” Redskins tight end Chris Cooley told “NFL AM” Thursday morning. “We’ve been utilizing a bit of the option thinking if we want to go this way, if we don’t.” The Redskins may be practicing the Baylor offense a lot at training camp, but Cooley explains that is just to get the rest of the team up to speed on how certain plays are run. “Our training camp practices probably look a lot more like Baylor’s offense,” he said. “That doesn’t necessarily mean that our offense when we start week 1 will run 30 option plays this season. Obviously a quarterback in the NFL shouldn’t take that beating but for us to learn the style that he played in, we need to practice it more than say our 18 or 19 outside zone plays which we are all very comfortable with running.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:31 am

Redskins RB Royster makes bid for starting job

Injuries have given Evan Royster a clear shot to claim the starting running back job for the Washington Redskins. The second-year player is expected to get the bulk of the first-team work Saturday when the Redskins visit Chicago. Tim Hightower is recovering from knee surgery, and Roy Helu Jr. has tendinitis in his left Achilles tendon. There's a chance either or both could return for next week's game at Indianapolis, but that leaves Royster and prospects Alfred Morris and Tristan Davis carrying the load for now. Royster is Penn State's career rushing leader rusher. He was a sixth-round draft pick a year ago and began the season on the practice squad. He was promoted to the active roster midseason and rushed for 100 yards in each of the final two games.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Postby 1niksder » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:34 am

Redskins' Morris used to O-line issues

You know I don't like to go a day without a post on Washington Redskins running backs, and I found this John Keim note on rookie Alfred Morris interesting. It's about the fact that Morris played behind a bad offensive line in college at Florida Atlantic, so the struggles the Redskins are having with their line aren't new or odd to him: What Morris went through at Florida Atlantic has made him a good one-cut runner, and a nice fit in the stretch zone system.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:49 pm

John Keim's 8/17 RGIII Report

Not much that we haven't heard on this report, but good stuff, nevertheless. Rex lends his comments on RGIII's perfromance last week.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:55 pm

Johnm Keim's Three Things I learned

The No. 1 thing running back Tristan Davis is working on? His vision. Considering Davis is one of the Redskins’ fastest backs, if not the fastest, it makes you wonder why he’s not more of a threat. But it also shows that running back is about way more than speed. Evan Royster would never win a footrace vs. Davis, but his vision is good. Davis is trying to improve his.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:36 am

What Shanahan has to say about a lot of stuff

On the difference in coaching between the first game and this game:

“A lot of the same things, a lot of evaluation. You play about double the snaps than the first game with your offense and defense. You’re trying to build better players. You’re trying to define who the top 53 guys are in a number of positions. We know who our starters are but there’s a lot of competition in other positions where it could swing either way, a number of positions between second and third teams and guys just making the team in general. You’re trying to find the top 53 in your practice squad with an additional eight.”

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:36 pm

John Keim's Redskin Notes

Shanahan on running back Alfred Morris’ night: “He did a good job. When he did have a couple holes in there he got the extra yardage. He missed the Will linebacker and the free safety on one play. He looked at the Will and didn’t have the experience to pick up the free safety, but that’s part of the learning curve for some of these guys, especially these rookies. But I was pleased with his effort and the way he ran the football.”

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:56 pm

Keim's Redskins Injury Report

Right guard Chris Chester returned to practice and is expected to play Saturday vs. Indianapolis. Chester missed the first two preseason games because of a sprained left ankle.

YEA!!!!

Tarik El-Bashir's Injury Report

WR Anthony Armstrong (sprained shoulder) only played only one down Saturday, but is expected to suit up Saturday vs. the Colts. “We took the [no-contact] yellow jersey off of him today,” Shanahan said.
Last edited by Red_One43 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:05 pm

Keim's Three Things I learned

Tight end Chris Cooley didn’t blow an assignment that led to a sack-fumble vs. Chicago. But he said he could have played it better. On the play, Chicago end Israel Idonije was matched vs. tight end Fred Davis. Cooley also was on that side. Idonije eventually shed Davis, without much help from Cooley, who did not release for a pass and wound up blocking no one. Idonije then stripped the ball from Robert Griffin III. But Cooley’s job on that play was to look for the safety or corner blitzing. The Bears, though, sent a safety from the other side that running back Alfred Morris missed.

“I should have seen that the corner and safety weren’t coming,” Cooley said. “I stepped out to the corner and I should have just sat tight. In practice I had the same look and I turned to help and the guy came. But no excuses I should have helped Fred.”

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:03 pm

Keim's 8/21 Redskin Notes

Fullback Darrel Young said he was feeling better and plans on playing Saturday vs. Indianapolis. Young has not played this preseason because of his injured left hamstring on July 30.

Young tested it in practice Monday.

“I felt great, that’s the first time I ran and didn’t feel anything,” he said. “I had this setback before so I know where I am and how to take things and how to progress. I felt good about what I did [Monday]. I’ll go a little more today and a lot more tomorrow.”

Young hasn’t enjoyed watching.

“It’s brutal man, it’s brutal,” he said. “I’m finally in a position where I want to be in terms of being in the NFL and playing. I want to play. That’s what I’m here to do. You can’t make the team in the cold tub, I know that.”

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:08 pm

Keim's 8/22 Midday Redskins Report

Count veteran tackle Jordan Black among those who think having an experienced swing tackle is important. Of course, considering he has the most experience among those trying to be a swing tackle for the Redskins, what else would he say? Black has split time at both tackle spots in the past week of practice.

Rookie Tom Compton has worked only on the left side. Also, Maurice Hurt can play tackle (though he’s only taken snaps on the right side). If they didn’t keep Black and something happened to left tackle Trent Williams in a game, they could shift Tyler Polumbus from the right side to the left and insert Hurt at right tackle. If they have Black, they would need to make just one move and put him on the left side. Black still needs to prove he can handle the job. But he does understand what comes with the role.

“A swing tackle has to have a different mindset because it’s high pressure to go into a game at one of the tackle positions,” he said. “But then you have to be on top of it to where you’re prepared to play on the right or left. It’s a unique position in the NFL. The key to being a swing guy is that you don’t want to spend too much time working on one side of the ball. If there’s a chance you’re going to play both you make sure you’re taking reps on the right side and left side because it doesn’t take long for your muscle memory to start fading if you don’t work at it.”
Last edited by Red_One43 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:27 pm

John Keim's End of the Day Redskin Notes

Shanahan on corner DeAngelo Hall playing safety: “He has the ability to play either safety position because he’s tough enough, he’s smart enough. He’s a ballhawk. He’ll probably make more plays at safety at either strong safety or free safety than at corner… Some corners have that natural ability to make plays. Not too many guys can do that.”

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football