Training Camp Daily Report Thread

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:38 pm

I have a feeling we're going to have a decent defense this season

I know that the defensive backfield is a concern but I just think we're going to see a pretty solid season from our front 7

ALSO

the receiving corps was a big concern not long ago and it now looks like being fairly solid

we're making progress and we're going to surprise some teams
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:58 pm

Fredericksburg.com Redskin News and Notes

Head coach Mike Shanahan reiterated his stance that Robert Griffin III will only play the first half against Chicago on Saturday in the Washington Redskins’ second preseason game.
Shanahan will restrict Griffin to playing only with the first-team offense, which he typically takes out of the game after the first half.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:01 pm

John Keim's Redskins Thoughts

Willie Smith remains eligible for the practice squad. A few weeks ago I wouldn’t have double checked that information because I’d have put him as perhaps the last lineman. But, as of now, he hasn’t exactly stood out nor shown that he’s improved from last season. Because Smith was on the active roster for only seven games last season (and was a free agent) he can still get cut and placed on the Redskins’ practice squad. It’s hard to see him making the final roster based on his performance this summer and those ahead of him. Yes, he had a minor injury in camp. But it came because Rob Jackson steamrolled him in a one-on-one drill, a bad sign. Smith has worked at both left and right tackle. However, he still has trouble reacting to counter moves. Rookie Tom Compton, a sixth-round pick, has worked ahead of him at left tackle. Jordan Black also is a swing tackle and would be the veteran backup teams like if he proves he can still help.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:13 pm

John Keim's 8/15 Practice Notes

Running back Roy Helu likely won’t play Saturday at Chicago because of Achilles tendinitis in his left foot, paving the way for more playing time for rookie back Alfred Morris.

Evan Royster will play, but coach Mike Shanahan said Morris likely will get the bulk of the carries.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:01 am

these reports are my first look each day - THANKS AGAIN

as a matter of interest - the new CBA's change in how training camps are set up and run seems to be resulting in a number of injuries to players
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:12 am

^ I am wondering the same and am looking for articles concerning if there is a rise in injuries. Last year, because of the lack of offseason, sports writers were predicting a rash of injuries. I think that there were a rise in hammy injuries, but I don't remember this many different types of injuries. I will keep looking articles to see if there has been a rise and the theories on why.

Update:

Didn't know that there was an injury tracker on NFL.com

NFL.com Injury Tracker

Still haven't found articles on NFL injuries as a whole.
Lots of articles on teams with a rash of injuries - Bears - defense, Lions RBs. We know aout the Cowboys, Eagles and Giants - DL. Not sure if PFT of any non Redskin source has declared the Redskins having a rash of injuries, because, as NFL.com, states "key" injuries.
Last edited by Red_One43 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:22 am

here's something that 1niksder started a thread about in ATL

http://www.thehogs.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38288

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:41 am

No articles yet on whether there has been an increase in injuries but here is a link to all the injuries thus far.

For this report the injuries have to be of a certain levelof severity. Chester and Williams are not on ours. Check ou the Eagles list.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/injuries

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:48 am

Leave it to ESPN. It shows all the injuries. This will at least tell us how we stack up againt other teams.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/injuries

VegasInisder shows guys who have been placed on IR or suspended.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/injuries/
Last edited by Red_One43 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:52 am

SkinsJock wrote:here's something that 1niksder started a thread about in ATL

http://www.thehogs.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38288

Thanks! Perhaps, 1nik might want to move my last two posts to that thread.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:14 am

just confirms - we have some great contributors to both our team and the NFL news here at THN

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:52 pm

John Keim's 8/15 Rookie Report

Guard Adam Gettis » He receives one of the highest spots because he played against starters in the preseason opener and was OK with a few bumps. Gettis plays with good technique and a strong lower body. At 6-foot-2, 292 pounds, he's small for a lineman, and he will get bent back on occasion. It's an issue worth watching; when that happened against Buffalo, he still wasn't moved back. Gettis moves well -- in practice this week he knocked Jarvis Jenkins to the ground on a stretch zone play to the right. Gettis isn't ready to challenge for a starting job, but the fifth-rounder has shown he's worth grooming.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:01 pm

Grant Paulsen‏@granthpaulsen

Mike Shanahan hopes his starters go about 30 to 35 plays. Says that should equate to about a half. #Redskins

Thursday 8/16

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:29 pm

A half seems like a long time for the second pre-season game. I hope they survive.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:58 pm

I hope rgiii scores twice in the first and calls it good.
F the beers.
Let rgiiiInt and cousins handle em
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football