Training Camp Daily Report Thread

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:06 pm

Red_One43 wrote:What are will going to do with Alfred Morris now that the league has film on him?

“You can see he’s got good running skills and he’s got that forward lean,” Shanahan said after Saturday’s practice. “He’s got good instincts. It’s going to be fun to see him over the next three games, see if he still plays at a hard level.”

“I anticipate he will,” the coach added.

Last week, Sports Illustrated’s Peter King posted a potentially telling comment on his Twitter account the same day he visited with team brass at Redskins Park.

“Florida Atl rkie Alfred Morris solid darkhorse for RB job,” King’s tweet read.

It's gonna be tough to stash this guy on the PS.

If you ask me he'll be Hightower's replacement.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby skinpride1 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:08 pm

1niksder wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:What are will going to do with Alfred Morris now that the league has film on him?

“You can see he’s got good running skills and he’s got that forward lean,” Shanahan said after Saturday’s practice. “He’s got good instincts. It’s going to be fun to see him over the next three games, see if he still plays at a hard level.”

“I anticipate he will,” the coach added.

Last week, Sports Illustrated’s Peter King posted a potentially telling comment on his Twitter account the same day he visited with team brass at Redskins Park.

“Florida Atl rkie Alfred Morris solid darkhorse for RB job,” King’s tweet read.

It's gonna be tough to stash this guy on the PS.

If you ask me he'll be Hightower's replacement.

very possible indeed.
RG3....Super Man....check out my socks!!!

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:55 pm

That would give us a VERY inexperienced corps of RBs....
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

Hog

Postby skinpride1 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:25 pm

SouthLondonRedskin wrote:That would give us a VERY inexperienced corps of RBs....

Yawn....that's what we have coaches for. Not ready to write hightower off just yet and I think i remember reading that Shanny was going to rest him preseason. If Hightower can't stay healthy this season then im all for the young talent. Hightowers blocking skills will be needed however. This team is being groomed with young talented players. RB is no different,
RG3....Super Man....check out my socks!!!

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:37 pm

If Hightower is healthy, I can't imagine Shanny letting him go, but that still leaves us with what to do with Alfred Morris.

We could double slot him TB/FB and not keep 4 TEs (last year we kept 4 with Sellers double slotted).

To me that seems to be the best bet.

I can't help but remember the Rams game, when Helu and Hightower couldn't get it going when, a stronger running Torian came in and got it done. Morris could be that guy this year.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:28 pm

@Redskins
#Redskins K's being tested today: Gano good from 51, 52, missed 57. Rackers perfect 51, 52 and 57

@TarikElBashir
Unofficially, I've got Rackers at 25 for 28 in camp. Gano is 21 for 28.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:02 pm

Rich Tandler's 8/13 Practice Report

—Logan Paulsen is something of an underdog in the tight end table but he made some plays today. He got loose down the middle and caught a bomb from Rex Grossman for a touchdown. And a few plays later he made a good adjustment to make the catch on a ball that was tipped at the line. Paulsen did drop a pass a while later but all in all, a good day.

—I’m very interested to see what Dez Briscoe does when he gets into a game. He reaches up and plucks the ball out of the air with a very natural and fluid motion. Briscoe doesn’t get many reps with even the second team and he’ll have to take advantage of whatever chances he gets. So far, in practice, he has done so.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Redskins.com 8/13 Practice Report

The spotlight shined on the kicking competition today, as coaches thrust Graham Gano and Neil Rackers into practice and live scenarios.

It was a mixed bag for Gano, today, as he hit field goals from 37, 43, 51 and 52 yards. Rackers was perfect on the day, drilling kicks from 51, 52, 57 and 58 yards.

His kick from 58 yards came in a game situation late in practice, as he lined up beyond the 50-yard line.

His kick had enough power and direction to be good from several yards longer. The franchise long for field goals is 59 yards, set last year by Gano against the 49ers.

The top play of the day occurred late in practice, when quarterbacks were put in a situation with five seconds on the clock, ball at mid-field, trailing by two. The goal is to run one play to gain yardage without expiring the game clock.

On the second round, Griffin III threw the ball away and had three seconds on the clock. On the next play, Griffin III moved around in the pocket to avoid pressure and wait for his receivers to get open.

Griffin III threw the ball about 50 yards to the end zone, and receiver Leonard Hankerson made a leaping catch for the game-winning touchdown.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:37 pm

Red_One43 wrote:
It was a mixed bag for Gano, today, as he hit field goals from 37, 43, 51 and 52 yards. Rackers was perfect on the day, drilling kicks from 51, 52, 57 and 58 yards.

He makes it sound as if Gano missed some kicks, but he doesn't say how many or from how far. :(
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:01 pm

Chris Cooley on RGIII:
''It's is a phenomenon that he's come in and not been a rookie,'' Cooley said Monday. ''No one looks at him as a rookie. You don't see young players come in and say 'This is my team.'

''I thought I could play, but I came as a rookie with big eyes, and maybe the only guy I've seen do that, what he's kind of done and say, 'I'm not going to be a rookie on this team' is Sean Taylor. Maybe the only guy that came here and said, 'I don't care where I am, I don't care who I'm playing against - I'm going to be the best on the field.' He's had that confidence as a quarterback.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:16 pm

Deadskins wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:

He makes it sound as if Gano missed some kicks, but he doesn't say how many or from how far. :(

Tandler to the Rescue
That said, Graham Gano couldn’t have been heartened by his performance Monday at Redskins Park. The incumbent place kicker made only 5 of his 9 field goal attempts, missing from 32, 49, 53 and 57.

Meantime, his challenger, Neil Rackers, was 9 for 9, easily splitting the uprights on each of them.

The two kicked from the same distances, with Gano kicking first.

In training camp practices, Gano is now unofficially 21 for 28, while Rackers is 25 for 28. Neither attempted a field goal in Thursday’s 7-6 preseason victory in Buffalo.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:31 pm

Bobby's "I Got It" Moment
Reflecting on the play, Griffin — who on Monday spoke to the media for the first time since he reviewed tape of his first pro game — recognized his own growth and comfort in the Redskins’ system because one thought never entered his mind during the three seconds he held the ball.

“The thought never crossed my mind to run,” said the athletic quarterback, who dazzled his way to the Heisman Trophy with his world-class speed and cannon of an arm. Instead, Griffin trusted his line, and his grasp of the play’s options told him that somewhere a receiver was running free.

“I went through my first three reads really confidently, knowing the protection was going to hold up, that at some point, one guy is going to be open, because on a lot of plays, one guy is wide open and the rest are blanketed,” Griffin explained after Monday’s practice.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:45 pm

John Keim 8/13 RGIII Report
Did like a couple of his throws. On a straight drop back, he drilled a pass over the middle between linebackers Bryan Kehl and Lorenzo Alexander to receiver Santana Moss. Griffin also showed his athleticism (again, as if we needed a reminder) when he jumped to throw a screen pass to the left over the head of a pass rusher. But the defender jumped with him so Griffin didn’t throw. He immediately jumped back up to complete the pass. Another time Griffin faked a deep pass, then hit Garcon on an out route.

…I’d like to see a little more consistency in practice when it comes to hitting receivers more in stride.

…Griffin broke a couple ankles when he ran the ball Monday. The one thing I noticed today, too, is that he ran with patience, setting up his blockers by slowing down before kicking back into top speed. Yes, you also see him freeze linebackers with ball fakes.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:52 pm

John Keim 8/13 Practice Notes (These are a notes from the morning walkthrough)

Chris Cooley said he’d like to play 20 to 25 snaps, but he doesn’t care if they come at tight end or fullback. He started and played approximately 10 snaps at fullback vs. Buffalo.

“I’m not concerned where I line up,” Cooley said. “It would be good for us if I could play everywhere. If I’m here doing everything that’s an asset. If [Darrel Young] is hurt six weeks in I feel comfortable going in and playing that position. I think they like that.

“If you ask me what I want to do, I want to start at tight end and catch 80 balls. But at the same time I want this team to be successful, this offense to be successful and us to win games. I really don’t care where I am if we’re doing that.”

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:59 pm

skinpride1 wrote:
SouthLondonRedskin wrote:That would give us a VERY inexperienced corps of RBs....

Yawn....that's what we have coaches for. Not ready to write hightower off just yet and I think i remember reading that Shanny was going to rest him preseason. If Hightower can't stay healthy this season then im all for the young talent. Hightowers blocking skills will be needed however. This team is being groomed with young talented players. RB is no different,

I'm not sure I really care all that much about RBs being inexperienced. I'll take young, fast and healthy at that position.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football