It's that time... Final 53 Projections 2012

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:28 am

Bob 0119 wrote:
1niksder wrote:
Bob 0119 wrote:I'm thinking Hightower makes it and either Briscoe or Banks doesn't. Three HBs and two FBs wouldn't be that big a stretch.

I'm thinking if the choice came down to Briscoe or Hightower, Briscoe is cut first

So you're saying two FBs and only five WRs, although you have Morris at HB and Cooley at TE and they both can fill the backup FB role?

If that's the case then I'd more than likely keep Banks over Briscoe if no one else stands out in the return game

That's what I'm thinking. I heard a rumor they told Banks he would have to make the team as a WR and not just a Special Teamer. I can't imagine them letting his return talents go for nothing unless they were really pressed for space. Sounds to me like he needs to beat out Briscoe which I believe will be slightly weighted in his favor because of his returning ability.

I don't see them using five roster spots on running backs, leaving only five slots for receivers. I think they'll go with at least six WRs.

If they can find a healthy veteran right tackle, I could see Adam Gettis, and Tom Compton on the practice squad allowing Anthony Armstrong taking the seventh WR spot or then carry a 5th back. Another option could be a fully recovered T. Jackson replacing Doughty and dropping Barnes for the fifth RB spot
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:34 am

What about AAA to the pup list?

BB for sixth man of the year!
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:44 am

^Once a player starts training camp, he is not eligible for PUP. For AAA, it is make it, get traded, IR or cut.

BB is on this time unless, he starts coughing the ball up.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:08 am

As they evaluate running backs, it's important to remember that Cooley is also a pretty darned good FB... that may weigh against keeping 2 FB's...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:35 am

Countertrey wrote:As they evaluate running backs, it's important to remember that Cooley is also a pretty darned good FB... that may weigh against keeping 2 FB's...

+1
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:42 am

I guess we'll see, but I have my doubts about Hightower leaving. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

Postby 1niksder » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:03 pm

Bob 0119 wrote:I guess we'll see, but I have my doubts about Hightower leaving. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

Morris is looking good, I have my doubts about them keeping 5 backs and Tim is still limited a week into camp. Morris currently the third HB and the second FB (with Young injuried and Cooley running with the starters). Hightower is on the sidelines for the most part.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:21 pm

I think everyone makes good cases for individual players. I think the coaches are going to have a tough time deciding the 53-man roster.

“You want to keep the best 53 guys – and 61 guys with the practice squad – so each year, it kind of changes,” head coach Mike Shanahan said. “Sometimes it may be a little bit higher at one position than the other, based on who you think who the top 53 are and based on your practice squad of eight people as well.”

Based on 1niks 53-man projections (and they're pretty good) I might however make just a few slight adjustments.

DB - I think Tanard Jackson will make the team. Jackson's experience, familiarity with Raheem Morris and with what Morris likes to do with his secondary, I think Jackson will be valuable. He'll most likely have to shed some rust over the next few weeks, but I think he'll get it done and become a valuable member in the backfield rotation.

I therefore would have Richard Crawford, the rookie 7th rounder out of SMU, heading for the practice squad. They can develop him there for a while in hopes of promoting him at a future point in time.

RB - I'm going to assume at this point that Hightower will be healthy and ready for the season. I therefore think they'll start the season with Hightower, Helu and Royster. I've read that the coaches like Alfred Morris. But I also know Shanahan really likes Hightower. So if Hightower has no major injury setbacks and looks to be a go for the season, Hightower should be on the roster.

If that's the case, I think they'd move Morris to the practice squad to start the season, much like they did with Royster last year. That way Morris can continue to develop, much like we saw Royster develop on the practice squad last year, and if Hightower struggles or re-injures himself, they can quickly promote Morris to the active roster.

WR - This is where I think it will be a tough decision. The team kept 8 WR's last year, including Banks, so considering Shanahan's comments above, I'm thinking they may go with 7 WR's this year. The reason I believe the team may keep 7 WR's is because I think the coaches have to consider that Morgan may struggle early returning from his leg injury and we've now heard that Armstrong is struggling with a shoulder injury. Although Hank has been looking very good thus far in camp, his hip injury is also something to consider as well. A rotation of 7 WR's will keep fresh legs in the game at all times and prevents a few of the previously injured WR's from getting overworked and further injured.

I'm thinking the 7 WR's will be Garcon, Morgan, Hankerson, Moss, Armstrong, Banks and Robinson. That would leave out Austin and Briscoe.

The tough thing to consider is that I believe whoever is cut will be quickly picked up by another team. Banks has been looking good at WR in camp, and considering the value we know he brings in the return game, assuming he stays healthy, I think they keep him on the roster.

I've already made a case for Robinson in another thread. I just can't see them cutting Robinson outright. And if they try to move him to the practice squad again, I believe he'll be quickly signed by another team. Even though Robinson still may (or may not) be a step behind in development, I just can't see Shanahan cutting him after just one season, especially considering there was no offseason last year due to the lockout. Robinson was hand-selected by Shanahan because of his speed and the fact that Robinson played for Shanahan's friend June Jones at SMU. I've read that Shanahan likes players from that offense. Robinson brings impressive speed, and we all know speed is something that can't be taught.

If we believe Garcon, Morgan, Hankerson and Moss are locks, then being able to also contribute on special teams is something to consider as well for the three other WR's that 'may' make the team. Banks, Robinson and Austin all have the ability as returners. And for the record, Austin has played well in camps and preseason as well, so it would be tough to see him go.

But I digress. This will be a very tough for the coaches. Again, you could make a case for any of these guys.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:25 pm

1niksder wrote:If that's the case then I'd more than likely keep Banks over Briscoe if no one else stands out in the return game

I know a lot of guys here are really pulling for Banks, but personally I'd love to see Briscoe do well enough in camp to get that spot over Banks. 22 years old, 6'2", 210 lbs vs. 5'7" 155 lbs? I just don't trust Banks' size to be one of the guys for us at WR.

Postby 1niksder » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:33 pm

riggofan wrote:
1niksder wrote:If that's the case then I'd more than likely keep Banks over Briscoe if no one else stands out in the return game

I know a lot of guys here are really pulling for Banks, but personally I'd love to see Briscoe do well enough in camp to get that spot over Banks. 22 years old, 6'2", 210 lbs vs. 5'7" 155 lbs? I just don't trust Banks' size to be one of the guys for us at WR.

I agree on some points, but Briscoe would more than likely be behind Hankerson and Josh Morgan while Banks would be behind Moss and Garcon, but also returning kicks. I like Briscoe's size, youth and what he may be able to do in the redzone, but simply being a redzone receiver may be less of a need than a guy that simple returns kicks.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Postby 1niksder » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:52 pm

@Rich_Tandler
I think Briscoe makes the Skins keep 7 WRs this year.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:55 pm

Put me down on one vote for Briscoe making it.
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

Postby yupchagee » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:51 pm

I don't think we keep 10 OL's. Either Gettis or Compton to PS.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Postby 1niksder » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:14 am

yupchagee wrote:I don't think we keep 10 OL's. Either Gettis or Compton to PS.

I'm thinking if they can find a serviceable vet, they'll both land on the PS
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Hog

Postby riggofan » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:20 am

1niksder wrote:I agree on some points, but Briscoe would more than likely be behind Hankerson and Josh Morgan while Banks would be behind Moss and Garcon, but also returning kicks. I like Briscoe's size, youth and what he may be able to do in the redzone, but simply being a redzone receiver may be less of a need than a guy that simple returns kicks.

Good point. How important is kick returner at this point though with the new kickoff rule? Seems like the KR just needs to be somebody capable of standing in the end zone and waving for a fair catch. I'll take the redzone target and a backup for Hankerson.

Also, I see a lot of people here predicting Morris will get a roster spot. I really haven't read anybody in the press/blogs making that prediction the last two weeks. I think its more likely he'll go the Royster route and end up on the practice squad.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football