It's that time... Final 53 Projections 2012

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:03 pm

1niksder u got 10 dbs w 2 of them being Barnes...
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:19 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:What is the chance of Grossman being picked up if he is released?

My answer is "almost zero." This happens a lot, Red. I think of a question but you ask it first. :D

I say waive Rex, watch him clear, claim him, and then do whateva with the guy you really want to keep without risking exposing him to the waiver wire (Morris).

I suppose Rex could retire and we could hire him as a coach if someone claims him. :shock:

DarthMonk

If you waive him then claim him, what's the point of waiving him?? :shock:
SPIT HAPPENS!!

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:30 pm

Practice squad instead of 53 man roster I think?
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:50 pm

1nik, Hogster, why is Gomes on your 53? He is appearing on everybody's 53 including mine, but I only put him on because he looked promising last year. I am finding it hard to keep him on my list as I prepare to redo it. It seems to me that every time, I look up, Gomes is missing tackles or hurt on the ground. I have never seen him make a hard tackle. I recognize that my perception might be wrong here. Thoughts? Anybody else, please feel free to weigh in.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:03 pm

Uh.. I think he caught a flailing duck desperation pass for an int last year... That's bout it.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:04 pm

Uh.. I think he caught a flailing duck desperation pass for an int last year... That's bout it.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:05 pm

The Hogster wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:What is the chance of Grossman being picked up if he is released?

My answer is "almost zero." This happens a lot, Red. I think of a question but you ask it first. :D

I say waive Rex, watch him clear, claim him, and then do whateva with the guy you really want to keep without risking exposing him to the waiver wire (Morris).

I suppose Rex could retire and we could hire him as a coach if someone claims him. :shock:

DarthMonk

"Claim" is probably the wrong word but every team does what I'm talking about every year. You waive a guy you want to keep hoping he clears waivers. Meanwhile a guy you actually want to develop makes your "final" 53 if you think exposing him to waivers results in losing him. After the waived guy clears he ends up on your 53 while the guy you "kept" ends up on the PS.

You do this to keep both guys.

Dig?

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:12 pm

Well...

In regards to Rex clearing waivers, I'd like to point out that the Texans run the same scheme... They picked up Beck... As we know Rex > Beck... So there is a possiblity that someone would pick up Rex, albeit slim.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:23 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
The Hogster wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:

DarthMonk

"Claim" is probably the wrong word but every team does what I'm talking about every year. You waive a guy you want to keep hoping he clears waivers. Meanwhile a guy you actually want to develop makes your "final" 53 if you think exposing him to waivers results in losing him. After the waived guy clears he ends up on your 53 while the guy you "kept" ends up on the PS.

Dig?

DarthMonk

1. You are right, "claim" is not a good word. Rex would only have to be re-signed.

He does not have to clear waivers because he has four years of service.

If a player has acquired
four years of service, placing the player on waivers automatically terminates his contract and makes him an unrestricted free agent

2. There is no way to get a guy to your practice squad without exposing him to waivers. What you are describing would not work. It would put you back in the same situation that you started.

3. What I think that you are describing is the
"54 Trick"during the season. You want to bring a guy up form the PS or you acquire a guy via waivers or FA and need to drop a guy from the 53. You drop the vet, often with the unwritten understanding that he will be picked up again after the game. The only way you lose the vet is if he chooses to sign elsewhere (Trevor Price did this). If the team brings the vet back, they drop a guy that they are betting will clear waivers.

LAst year, I don't believe that we actually dropped a vet to bring him back, but our swing practice guy was Brandyn Thompson - he rode the 53 rollercoaster.
Last edited by Red_One43 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:34 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Well...

In regards to Rex clearing waivers, I'd like to point out that the Texans run the same scheme... They picked up Beck... As we know Rex > Beck... So there is a possiblity that someone would pick up Rex, albeit slim.

CLL, Beck was picked up for offseason and training camp. If Rex were to be released, the other teams rosters would be complete. I am not sure that another team would see Rex released and feel that he is a better option as a back up this late in the game (especially when the Skins don't see him as a back up). Remember, he was a free agent the last three years. Only the Skins have showed interest in him in each of those three years - not even the Houston Texans where he last played before coming to the Skins. :)

Everyone knows that on some days, Rex can light it up, but why roll the dice with him, when most other QBs get you more consistency and not lose games. In an emergency situation during the season, yes, the Redskins, Texans and Raiders, who now run the same O, could come calling, but Beck will might have the upper hand for outside/inside job of emergency QB off the street for the Texans.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:58 pm

Most other QBs not named John Beck.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:14 pm

wtf - Grossman or Beck - neither are worth a damn

what are the chances the Texans pick up Grossman = slim

what are the chances the Texans keep Beck and Grossman = ZERO

fugetaboudit - not worth worrying about
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:25 pm

Red_One43 wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:
The Hogster wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:

DarthMonk

Dig?

DarthMonk

1. You are right, "claim" is not a good word. Rex would only have to be re-signed.

If a player has acquired
four years of service, placing the player on waivers automatically terminates his contract and makes him an unrestricted free agent

2. There is no way to get a guy to your practice squad without exposing him to waivers. What you are describing would not work. It would put you back in the same situation that you started.

"54 Trick"during the season. You want to bring a guy up form the PS or you acquire a guy via waivers or FA and need to drop a guy from the 53. You drop the vet, often with the unwritten understanding that he will be picked up again after the game. The only way you lose the vet is if he chooses to sign elsewhere (Trevor Price did this). If the team brings the vet back, they drop a guy that they are betting will clear waivers.

LAst year, I don't believe that we actually dropped a vet to bring him back, but our swing practice guy was Brandyn Thompson - he rode the 53 rollercoaster.

Also thought of the Texans. Wasn't aware of the 4 year rule.

So I was thinking of 47 and 53 with waivers not realizing there was a 4 year rule.

I sure would like to keep Morris. Maybe we can waive RGIII. Nobody would claim him after seeing how bad he is compared to Cousins! :mrgreen:

Back to my fantasy rankings.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:32 pm

Red_One43 wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:
The Hogster wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:

DarthMonk

Dig?

DarthMonk

If a player has acquired

+1

Well explained.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:37 pm

My choice to drop Morris is based on my belief that he will clear waivers and return to the PS much like Evan Royster did. There is always a risk though depending on 1) other team's injuries or views of the guys on their roster and 2) how highly rated they had your guy on their draft boards. For example, if Team A had Morris rated as a 5th or 6th rounder and had an injury, they might claim him.

It's really a crapshoot. Remember Marcus Mason?? The Barry Sanders of the preseason. He cleared waivers. But, Keiland Williams was grabbed by the Lions.

I am not overwhelmed by Alfred. He's good, but I don't think he's someone to fear releasing. Ryan Torain started regular season games for us, played well and is now out of the league altogether.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football