revisiting the trade with the Rams

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

revisiting the trade with the Rams

Postby Skeletor » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:04 am

There were a lot of people on this site that were very opposed to the Skins trading up to the number 2 pick this offseason. I'm wondering whether that sentiment still exists?

Are there fans here that believe the price was too steep or that we shouldn't have drafted a quarterback yet because we needed to build the team around him more first?

Or has RG3 already changed your mind?

Just curious...

Hog

Re: revisiting the trade with the Rams

Postby the poster » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:55 am

Skeletor wrote:There were a lot of people on this site that were very opposed to the Skins trading up to the number 2 pick this offseason. I'm wondering whether that sentiment still exists?

Are there fans here that believe the price was too steep or that we shouldn't have drafted a quarterback yet because we needed to build the team around him more first?

Just curious...

national media began the Andrew luck vs rg3 comparison shortly after the draft. which is fine, that was inevitable.

but by the end of this season and for the next couple of seasons, redskin fans and local media should instead be comparing rg3 vs Ryan tannehill.

they coulda never drafted Andrew luck so he's a moot point.

but.....what would help the redskins win more....

rg3

or

Ryan tannehill + this year high 2nd round pick (perhaps a starting OT or Safety?) + 2013 1st round pick + 2014 1st round pick.

I bet tannehill is starting by the end of this season.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:14 am

It is great that he had great stats for the game, but that is the not the most important thing coming out of that game.

*Quick release - he made our O line look better at pass protection.
*Accuracy throws - all passes were on target.
*One play under duress, he side armed it to Niles Paul, who dropped it or had it knocked out of his hands
*Poise and leadership
*Motivation
*Dedication to team - I cringed when he went after that Bill witht the fumble, but that's football and I am sure his teammates will work harder for him because they saw that.
*Student of the game - has learned the playbook already
*Super personality

We can point out QBs who had good preseasons and been busts in the regular season, but I doubt if any of the QBs, had half the attributes of RGIII. Example: John Beck, after the Ravens preseason game - I was a believer in Beck after that game, but I never saw and read anything about Beck like I am seeing and reading about RGIII.

I have moved from - We had to do it to because of limited options TO No question, it was a well worth it!
Last edited by Red_One43 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:23 am

I see someone finally got the math straight on the cost of RGIII.

Since I was for this move (after I was against it Monkey ) I'll mostly leave this thread to others.

It'll be interesting to see where things stand when Shanny's contract runs out in 3 years.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby HarleyHog » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:50 pm

I always felt good about Robert Griffin the third. I would've been unhappy with Andrew Luck simply because his brand was tarnished forever in my eyes by the Trollish suck for Luck BS we had to endure last go-round. So far, RGIII seems to be worth every bit of the cost, not only in what he's shown both on and off the field, but also in how his presence galvanizes and energizes the fanbase. It is nice to see the Redskins Nation genuinely excited instead of merely loyally hopeful heading into a new season. :P
Everybody funny, now you funny too ...

"The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have." -Vince Lombardi

(BTW . . . we have RGIII now)

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:55 pm

It's way to early to determine if the trade was successful or not. If he's a franchise QB, then worth every penny. If he's a mediocre qB, then the trade sucked but it'll take a few years to determine what RG3 will be.

Hog

Postby the poster » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:32 pm

I know it's nice and all to throw 4 simple, uncontested passes...but THIS is how you start your NFL career:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ssessions/

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:39 pm

frankcal20 wrote:It's way to early to determine if the trade was successful or not. If he's a franchise QB, then worth every penny. If he's a mediocre qB, then the trade sucked but it'll take a few years to determine what RG3 will be.

You beat me to it.

Even if I was against the Rams trade for RG3, it's still WAY too early to call it a good trade based on 6 passes.

if we are 6-2 by mid-season...then maybe :D
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

08 Champ

Re: revisiting the trade with the Rams

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:45 pm

Skeletor wrote:There were a lot of people on this site that were very opposed to the Skins trading up to the number 2 pick this offseason. I'm wondering whether that sentiment still exists?

Just curious...

Time will show that this was a good trade for the Redskins - no doubt at all

hopefully the trade is also very good for the Rams

got to love that the Rams could have made an even better trade (for them, at least) with the Bowns but chose the Redskins :wink:
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

Hog

Postby Skeletor » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:07 pm

you guys missed the point of my question. I wasn't asking whether the trade was worth it. Or to evaluate RG3 at this point. and my question had nothing to do with Luck.

I'm curious whether those who thought we shouldn't trade up for a quarterback at all, still think so...

I remember a long thread debating whether it was worth trading up for a qb or not.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:18 pm

there is no doubt that we had to trade up and the Redskins FO's future here depended on them getting a QB

there is no doubt that they wanted RGIII because he will be a better fit here both this season and in the future
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:15 pm

I always felt now was the time to pull the trigger. We did what we had to do. Well worth the gamble.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:20 pm

My opinion was made public in Sept last year. It has not changed.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:02 pm

My point was that it would seem foolish to think that those who were critical of the trade would be swayed by four passes in a pre-season game.

If they weren't excited before, they won't be now. Give RG3 time to really prove himself in games that matter against real defenses and I think you'll see them come around
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:21 am

Bob 0119 wrote:My point was that it would seem foolish to think that those who were critical of the trade would be swayed by four passes in a pre-season game.

If they weren't excited before, they won't be now. Give RG3 time to really prove himself in games that matter against real defenses and I think you'll see them come around

Six passes, not four.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football