I Fear For Cooley

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

I Fear For Cooley

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:08 am

It's been a constant topic of debate over the off season but his apparent return to fitness has eased a lot of peoples concerns about his role in the team.

But I don't like his move to full back, can't see that working, and I didn't like the fact he didn't catch a pass when he lined up at TE against the Bills.

In his favour neither Davis or Paul is doing anything to show they will tear up the league this season, but that could change on Saturday.

What if Davis has a good game and Cooley is ineffectual again....? His stock is not high just now and he needs to show he can be a reliable outlet for RGIII.

We can't release him, no point with the cap hit. But they could look to trade him. Could he be the guy in the proposed Raiders trade...???

I love what he brings to the team on and off the field. And I'm sure he wants to win something as a Redskin, so he'll be giving it his all. But what's left in the tank....?

I think he needs to look sharper on Saturday, or else....
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

Re: I Fear For Cooley

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:14 am

SouthLondonRedskin wrote:But I don't like his move to full back, can't see that working, and I didn't like the fact he didn't catch a pass when he lined up at TE against the Bills.

In his favour neither Davis or Paul is doing anything to show they will tear up the league this season, but that could change on Saturday.

I'm glad you pointed out that Fred and Paul didn't do anything lsat Saturday; no catches for them either.

SouthLondonRedskin wrote:

What if Davis has a good game and Cooley is ineffectual again....? His stock is not high just now and he needs to show he can be a reliable outlet for RGIII.

We can't release him, no point with the cap hit. But they could look to trade him. Could he be the guy in the proposed Raiders trade...???

I love what he brings to the team on and off the field. And I'm sure he wants to win something as a Redskin, so he'll be giving it his all. But what's left in the tank....?

I think he needs to look sharper on Saturday, or else....

The fact is Cooley actually did something on Saturday unlike FD and NP, he had a pretty good game aa lead blocker. Unless you count Paul's four dropped posses as doing something.

Cooley is DY's backup at fullback, with Young out Cooley actually played a significant amount. Seeing him at FB against starters was good. The team knows what they have in him at TE and they really didn't need to see him at TE.

The team will not cut Coloey if healthy. They wouldn't have risked him getting injured and being on the hook for his 2012 salary if they thought there was a chance they were going to cut him. He has meant too much to this team and fanbase to get cast off in the final cuts. If they were going to release him they would have done it June 1st to give him a chance to get a job somewhere else.

No Cooley may not be in their 2013 plans but can you say for certain NP and FD are too? FD may be gone due to the weed factor or because of the cap hit and he is aFA. NP is an experiment right now. Sure the team seams to be talking him up, but they were talking Beck up this time last year too. The fact is, he has been move to a new spot and the only game film we have on him right now is a horrid performance against the Bills. Besides he looks more like insurance incase the team had to move on from Davis. He looks more like a replacement for Fred, not Chris.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:32 am

Cooley isn't moving to a traditional FB position, he's a H-Back which is what he started off doing when drafted by Gibbs.

His job safe, he'll be restructured next year.

What I don't get is, everyone says that he looks slow now. He's ALWAYS been slow. LOL At no point in his career his he ever been fast. He's been sure handed, he's elusive, a bit slippery and can break tackles.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:28 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Cooley isn't moving to a traditional FB position, he's a H-Back which is what he started off doing when drafted by Gibbs.

His job safe, he'll be restructured next year.

Cooley is a TE who has played in the H-Back position at times He was an H-Back under Gibbs). He is being looked at at Darrell Young's primary back up as a traditional FB. It turns out he only played FB for 10 snaps against Buffalo.)

Back Up FB
The Washington Times reports it is an opportunity for Cooley to prove his versatility in a bid to make the final roster. Fred Davis has replaced him as the club’s top option at tight end. Cooley has worked as an H-back in the past so some of the concepts should be familiar.

“As far as getting the blocks done, I’ve never had a problem getting the blocks done out of the backfield,” Cooley told the Times. “Would you ever look at me as a punishing, Mike Sellers-, Darrel Young-type of blocker? No, but I’ll get the block in the hole and I’m going to get my hat on the linebacker and the running backs always have a chance to make a cut.”

Chris Luva Luva wrote:What I don't get is, everyone says that he looks slow now. He's ALWAYS been slow. LOL At no point in his career his he ever been fast. He's been sure handed, he's elusive, a bit slippery and can break tackles.

Yes, I hear folks on the boards say that Cooley was slow, but the media reports were just saying that he was slower. Here's what Cooley said:

“I couldn’t move well last year. I had a lot of fluid in my knee at all times. I had a hard time going two days in a row. I’m [color=yellow]continuing to build speed, [/color]I’m continuing to get better on my feet. My routes have looked better. I feel like I’m getting back to the player I know I can be. I think our staff knows what I can do. I know what I’m capable of. That’s what everyone expects of me. I have to continue to provide that on a daily basis.”

So he may have slow (matter of opinion 4.87 40 combine time, but probably played faster on the field), but the injury has made him slower which at 30 with a knee injury makes sense).

http://washingtonexaminer.com/redskins- ... le/2504112

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:03 am

[-o< Please let Cooley stay here for his entire career.

I hope they do whatever it takes to keep a spot for him, that's my dude.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:18 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:[-o< Please let Cooley stay here for his entire career.

I hope they do whatever it takes to keep a spot for him, that's my dude.

+1
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:55 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:The team will not cut Coloey if healthy. They wouldn't have risked him getting injured and being on the hook for his 2012 salary if they thought there was a chance they were going to cut him. He has meant too much to this team and fanbase to get cast off in the final cuts. If they were going to release him they would have done it June 1st to give him a chance to get a job somewhere else.

No, I don't think they'd cut him either. But it's quite possible Shanny is playing him to show him off as healthy in order to trade him for an OL possibly. That would free up cap space and strengthen a weak area, go with Fred, Niles and Logan for this season, strenghten at TE next season.

I'm not saying I think that's the right thing to do, but I think it may be on their minds....

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:21 am

SouthLondonRedskin wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:The team will not cut Coloey if healthy. They wouldn't have risked him getting injured and being on the hook for his 2012 salary if they thought there was a chance they were going to cut him. He has meant too much to this team and fanbase to get cast off in the final cuts. If they were going to release him they would have done it June 1st to give him a chance to get a job somewhere else.

No, I don't think they'd cut him either. But it's quite possible Shanny is playing him to show him off as healthy in order to trade him for an OL possibly. That would free up cap space and strengthen a weak area, go with Fred, Niles and Logan for this season, strenghten at TE next season.

I'm not saying I think that's the right thing to do, but I think it may be on their minds....

SLR, you concerns are not unfounded. Shanny has always liked Paulsen. Do you keep 4 TEs (right now, I am saying, yes.) Here is another consideration. Cooley is listed as the back up fullback right now, but look at the RB situation. TH, ER, RH and DY. The way Alfred Morris is looking, he needs a spot. He has not worked at FB, but he needs a spot. Something has got to give. I don't think that you keep 5 RBs and 4 TEs. Paulsen is younger and healthier than Cooley. Coaches think that he is underrated as a pass catcher and he is considered the by many to be the best blocking TE.

I find it hard to imagine Cooley not being on this team. Teams have found out that when you cut a locker room leader, it hurts morale.
I think Cooley's move to back up FB is similar (not the same) as the move to keep Sellers last year. When you like a player, you find a way to keep him. But something has to give.

Check out what the TE coach has to say about Paulsen:
When you think about which tight ends are going to make the final roster, don’t just consider Logan Pauslen a blocking tight end. Tight ends coach Sean McVay last week called Paulsen an underrated receiver, and his opinion counts.

Rich Campbell's 8/13 Practice Report

Hog

Postby Mississippi Hog » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:19 am

SouthLondonRedskin wrote: trade him. Could he be the guy in the proposed Raiders trade...???

What is this proposed trade about? Couldn't find anything about it.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:44 am

Mississippi Hog wrote:
SouthLondonRedskin wrote: trade him. Could he be the guy in the proposed Raiders trade...???

What is this proposed trade about? Couldn't find anything about it.

Bruce Allen let it slip on a radio interview a week or so ago that he had been talking with the Raiders that morning. A HogsHaven blogger guessed that they might have been discussing a trade for Cooley, and the national media picked up on it like it was fact. :roll:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby Hooligan » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:51 am

There are a lot of new players on the team to evaluate, a lot of decisions to make, and it's the first preseason game of the year. Why waste a play targeting a guy you already know is money? Throw to the new guys and see who's worth keeping.

My 2 cents
"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:01 pm

No disrespect to anyone in particular. But to a degree I find it repulsive that people can talk about trading Cooley like he's a goat on the open market.

"FANS" whine and cry, they rip players apart for their lack of allegiance to this disgustingly inept franchise but the moment we have a player who loves the fans and the team foremost. We're talking about trading him. Tossing him away.

I'm sorry, but that's just how I see it. This man stuck through at the darkest hours, and the moment sunlight starts to shine in, you all want to oust him.

"Fans"....
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:16 pm

I don't want to oust him! I want him here.

I want a ring for Cooley and Fletcher before they finish more than anything, those guys deserve it big time.

I'm just saying I fear for his place a little, I'd feel a lot better if he catches a couple on Saturday.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:24 pm

VERY WELL SAID CLL !!!!!
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:04 pm

:cheers:
I'm surprised t(guy)it hasn't posted how worthless captain chaos is to the team....
Smfh he bleeds b&g and would probably go to reality tv before playing for most any other teams if there's another one at all. Cooley has earned his stripes and show it by stepping in at fb NO problem!
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football