Buying into Running Back by Committee

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Buying into Running Back by Committee

Postby 1niksder » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:47 am

Washington Redskins: Buying into Running Back by Committee

NFL offenses have changed over the last decade. For example, let’s say your team is facing a 3rd-and-2. What are the chances the offense runs the ball? Years ago, it seemed more than likely, now that isn’t the case.

The NFL today has adapted to the passing game, where dinky three-yard completions are of high percentage.

Upon the transformation of the current NFL, running backs have regressed. Workhorses are no longer emphasized and the current shelf life of them seems to get younger and younger.

Not to mention that the draft can find quality starters throughout the rounds or even undrafted. Ahmad Bradshaw, DeMarco Murray, LeSean McCoy and the trio of Redskins runners; none of which were selected in the first round.

Additionally, about half of the franchises around the league have adopted either a two-running back system or by committee. (Redskins, Giants, Cowboys, Packers, Lions, Saints, Panthers, Buccaneers, 49ers, Rams, Cardinals, Patriots, Jets, Bills, Texans, Chiefs and the Broncos.)

Typically, teams in multiple-back situations have personnel that have a different strength. One could be a short-yardage back, one is the best on third down or another can be great in pass protection.

Either way, front offices league wide have found roles for backs and they can only be utilized in that specific skill. So where does that leave the Redskins' running back chart?

As of now, there’s Evan Royster, Roy Helu, Jr., Tim Hightower and the emerging Alfred Morris. They all can do something different too. Royster is great in pass protection and can pick up solid yardage; Helu is the unit’s best playmaker and pass catcher; Hightower is good in goal-line situations and a receiver out of the backfield; and Morris looks like that downhill, short-yardage guy.

Is this enough for the offense? My answer is yes. Although I really like the potential talent of the four players, none of them are going to be Pro Bowlers. I’m fine with that.

Let’s look at the previous Super Bowl winners: Giants (Ahmad Bradshaw and Brandon Jacobs were decent last season), Packers (James Starks and Ryan Grant were decent as well), Saints (Pierre Thomas and Reggie Bush were OK) and the Steelers (Willie Parker lead the team in rushing with 791 yards, via profootball-reference.com).
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

08 Champ

Re: Buying into Running Back by Committee

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:07 am

... front offices league wide have found roles for backs and they can only be utilized in that specific skill. So where does that leave the Redskins' running back chart?

As of now, there’s Evan Royster, Roy Helu, Jr., Tim Hightower and the emerging Alfred Morris. They all can do something different too. Royster is great in pass protection and can pick up solid yardage; Helu is the unit’s best playmaker and pass catcher; Hightower is good in goal-line situations and a receiver out of the backfield; and Morris looks like that downhill, short-yardage guy.

Is this enough for the offense? My answer is yes. Although I really like the potential talent of the four players, none of them are going to be Pro Bowlers. I’m fine with that....

me too - I'd rather have players that make the team better, not players that fans want to see in the Pro Bowl OR on some fantasy team

this is the current NFL

franchises are more successful when they have players that make each other AND the players around them better
NOT just having superstars with fantastic stats - that's fantasy stuff
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:26 am

Dag, lemme find out Portis will be the last workhorse we'll ever have.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:13 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:Dag, lemme find out Portis will be the last workhorse we'll ever have.

:lol: now that man could play RB on my team ... no matter what era :D
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

Hog

Postby everydayAskinsday » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:12 am

Does Portis deserve to ever make the Redskins ring of fame? I certainly think so

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:55 am

Portis would easily be the starter here. I was sad to see him go.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:04 pm

+10 to the Portis comments.

I personally think he got a bum wrap on his departure but he gave 110% out there for us and I totally respect that.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:06 pm

Quick question..

Hightower/Helu/Royster

Any paticular order you'd like to see these guys get into the game?

For me personally it's the way I typed it above. LOL

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:13 pm

Royster Morris helu Hightower
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:25 pm

cowboykillerzRED wrote:Royster Davis helu Hightower
Morris will be exposed to the rest of the NFL, so I could see Davis being "stashed on the PS" for part of the season. Still not sold on TH making the final 53
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:57 pm

Agreed...
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:40 pm

With the group we have, it will have to be RB by committee. Look at last year's St Louis game. We watched TH and RH struggle and get nothing. Torain gets in there and rushes for over a 130 yrds (now he is out of the league - Panthers let him go).

No question if Mike had his complete back, he would use him for a majority of the plays, he did it with Davis and Portis in Denver. We just don't have that complete back and that incudes durability to carry the ball 20 to 25 carries a game. Maybe Morris could develop into that back.

Where have all the stud running backs gone, long time passing?

Postby 1niksder » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:39 pm

Red_One43 wrote:With the group we have, it will have to be RB by committee. Look at last year's St Louis game. We watched TH and RH struggle and get nothing. Torain gets in there and rushes for over a 130 yrds (now he is out of the league - Panthers let him go).

No question if Mike had his complete back, he would use him for a majority of the plays, he did it with Davis and Portis in Denver. We just don't have that complete back and that incudes durability to carry the ball 20 to 25 carries a game. Maybe Morris could develop into that back.

Mike ALWAYS has HIS complete back, on some occasions that back blows everyone away, then again on some occasion but rarely that complete back is all rolled up in one human being... rarely
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:10 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:Quick question..

Hightower/Helu/Royster

Any paticular order you'd like to see these guys get into the game?

For me personally it's the way I typed it above. LOL

Me too.

But one of the three is bound to be injured at any given time so Morris will figure.

I am a touch worried about Helu, his injury sounds like the recurring type...
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:09 am

1niksder wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:With the group we have, it will have to be RB by committee. Look at last year's St Louis game. We watched TH and RH struggle and get nothing. Torain gets in there and rushes for over a 130 yrds (now he is out of the league - Panthers let him go).

Mike ALWAYS has HIS complete back, on some occasions that back blows everyone away, then again on some occasion but rarely that complete back is all rolled up in one human being... rarely

Each of these RBs only have one thing better than Hightower:

Helu - Fastest (Tristan Davis, as fast, but most likely PS)
Royster - Best Zone Runner
Morris - Most Powerful Runner (know more about his other attribute after tonight)

Hightower is the most complete back:

TH - Best Blocker, Good Speed, Better Receiver (Exept when he doesn't telll the coach his a shoulder injury - Rams game), Most Experienced

Knowing that Mike always has his complete back, why are you leaving TH off your 53? You wrote on your 53 update, that it depends on TH's health. Let's say TH is deemed healthy, Morris continues to shine, and doubts about Helu's durabilty remain (probably always will), do you keep TH? Do you keep 5 or release or try to trade one? As you know, I decided to keep 5 assuming TH will be healthy by the final preseason game.

Final note: Durability of all our backs
Helu - foot - didn't start last two games. Foot again TC
TH - Shoulder bange after only 4 games - ACL could happen to anybody
Royster - shoulder - after only two games he was banged up.
Morris - might be the most durable

Evan Royster was also banged up on the drive and visited the locker room briefly before eventually returning to the game.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... _blog.html

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football