Kirk Cousins - a Stand Up Guy

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Kirk Cousins - a Stand Up Guy

Postby tribeofjudah » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:57 pm

Wow, I'm fully impressed with how this guy handles questions from the media. Are you kidding me? We have 2 solid Rook QBs.

I love RGIII....and this guy Cousins ain't so bad either.

“If I’m not good enough, then I won’t,” Cousins added, referring to becoming a starter, somewhere, in the future. “But I shouldn’t get that opportunity if I’m not good enough.”

“So the way I see it, I need to develop day in and day out, get better and better and if, at some point, the coaches here [or] the coaches elsewhere feel like they see something in me that merits being a starting quarterback, I’ll get that opportunity,” the 24-year-old continued. “But I’m not going to sweat the day-to-day, what my role is. I need to have the long view in mind, and if I do that, I think good things will come.”

http://www.realredskins.com/
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:56 pm

As much as I'd love to have a good back up for years to come, he's a preseason or two (max) away from bringing us a good draft pick no doubt.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:01 pm

cowboykillerzRED wrote:As much as I'd love to have a good back up for years to come, he's a preseason or two (max) away from bringing us a good draft pick no doubt.

Either way, we win.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:21 pm

As I have said on other threads concerning Cousins....I was not a fan of using the pick for him on draft day....but I can see that I may have been wrong as he definitely has looked solid in the pre-season games so far....better than many other QB's (rookie and veteran) that I have observed this pre-season.

Who knows, maybe Arizona or Seattle will come calling with offers of draft choices shortly....
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:24 pm

rskin72 wrote:As I have said on other threads concerning Cousins....I was not a fan of using the pick for him on draft day....but I can see that I may have been wrong as he definitely has looked solid in the pre-season games so far....better than many other QB's (rookie and veteran) that I have observed this pre-season. In some ways, he has looked as good as RGIII merely because the coaches have apparently opened the playbook for him, while keeping the lid on RGIII. And no, not starting a campaign for Cousins as the starting QB!!!!

Who knows, maybe Arizona or Seattle will come calling with offers of draft choices shortly....

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:12 pm

rskin72 wrote:As I have said on other threads concerning Cousins....I was not a fan of using the pick for him on draft day....but I can see that I may have been wrong as he definitely has looked solid in the pre-season games so far....better than many other QB's (rookie and veteran) that I have observed this pre-season.

You haven't seen Russel Wilson play. They have a QB problem in that they gave a ton of money to Flynn but Wilson is playing lights out.

It's a good problem to have two QBs who are ready to play vs not having one like last year.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:26 pm

Glad we didn't go bidding on Flynn... He is decent but two games vs bad secondaries and great receiver corps didn't have me sold.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:14 pm

frankcal20 wrote:
rskin72 wrote:As I have said on other threads concerning Cousins....I was not a fan of using the pick for him on draft day....but I can see that I may have been wrong as he definitely has looked solid in the pre-season games so far....better than many other QB's (rookie and veteran) that I have observed this pre-season.

You haven't seen Russel Wilson play. They have a QB problem in that they gave a ton of money to Flynn but Wilson is playing lights out.

It's a good problem to have two QBs who are ready to play vs not having one like last year.

Yea, you are right, have not seen the Seahawks yet. Agree with you, however, that I have more confidence in RGIII/Cousins than last season with Grossman/Beck. Think you actually CAN win with RGIII/Cousins!!!

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:55 pm

Frankie....Russell Wilson is playing "lights out"....he's pretty polished.
As with all these Rooks, except Luck and III...I wonder how Rooks would fare vs. the 1st team D...?
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:15 pm

I wouldn't trade him quite yet. :wink:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:20 pm

I was also against drafting Cousins on draft day. However his play on the field has changed my mind. Glad to have him now. Mature beyond his years. I think he will become a starter in this league.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:38 pm

tribeofjudah wrote:Frankie....Russell Wilson is playing "lights out"....he's pretty polished.
As with all these Rooks, except Luck and III...I wonder how Rooks would fare vs. the 1st team D...?

Heck, i would like to see RGIII running many of the plays that Cousins is. To me it seems like the wraps are being kept on RGIII, but Cousins is being allowed to run more of the offense that we all expect to see this season.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:51 pm

tribeofjudah wrote:Frankie....Russell Wilson is playing "lights out"....he's pretty polished.

As a North Carolina State fan, I've watched Russell play from day 1. Folks have said his height is a problem but I can tell you he is so good in the pocket that he finds throwing lanes and always finds the open receiver. He doesn't turn the ball over and his dangerous running as well (ran a 4.4 40 at the combine). There is no doubt in my mind that this guy will do nothing but be 100% successful in the NFL and given the obstacles he's overcome, I hope he does. He's a GREAT kid and a hell of a team player and leader. He's the kind of kid you hope that your daughter brings home to meet you one day. I've met him in person a number of times and we talk all the time on facebook and twitter. Wouldn't say we're "Friends" but you know what I mean. We've chatted enough that if he saw me, he would know who I am.

Some players just have "It" and he has it. In all honesty, I really think that Cousins is very similar to Wilson. At NC State, Wilson ran a pro-style WCO system just like they run at MSU and here in DC. Cousin in all honesty is better suited to play in the system right now but RG3 has WAY more upside and skills. Please don't think I think that Cousins should start over RG3, I just think that Cousins is ready to play in our system now and RG3 will need to grow into it along w/ the coaches creating gameplans and plays suited for RG3.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:24 am

This Quote says a lot about Cousin's Potential
Kirk Cousins had just planted his right foot at the top of his 5-step drop when he felt a thump against his helmet Saturday night.

A Chicago Bears defensive end had struck a glancing blow in an attempt to plant Cousins into the turf.

“Oh boy,” Cousins recalled thinking at that moment. “He was closer than I thought he was.”

Cousins was unfazed, though, his composure belying his inexperience as a fourth-round rookie quarterback in only his second preseason game. He stepped forward in the pocket and zipped a short throw to his outlet, tight end Logan Paulsen, crossing the middle.

A play that could have ended in panic and disarray resulted in a 7-yard gain because of Cousins‘ poise.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:41 am

frankcal20 wrote:

As a North Carolina State fan, I've watched Russell play from day 1. Folks have said his height is a problem but I can tell you he is so good in the pocket that he finds throwing lanes and always finds the open receiver. He doesn't turn the ball over and his dangerous running as well (ran a 4.4 40 at the combine). There is no doubt in my mind that this guy will do nothing but be 100% successful in the NFL and given the obstacles he's overcome, I hope he does. He's a GREAT kid and a hell of a team player and leader. He's the kind of kid you hope that your daughter brings home to meet you one day. I've met him in person a number of times and we talk all the time on facebook and twitter. Wouldn't say we're "Friends" but you know what I mean. We've chatted enough that if he saw me, he would know who I am.

Some players just have "It" and he has it. In all honesty, I really think that Cousins is very similar to Wilson. At NC State, Wilson ran a pro-style WCO system just like they run at MSU and here in DC. Cousin in all honesty is better suited to play in the system right now but RG3 has WAY more upside and skills. Please don't think I think that Cousins should start over RG3, I just think that Cousins is ready to play in our system now and RG3 will need to grow into it along w/ the coaches creating gameplans and plays suited for RG3.

As to your point about Cousins being more ready now than RGIII to play in our system, one thing stuck out to me in a recent cooley interview (Sorry, I don't have the link, but someone has already posted about this elsewhere). He mentioned that the offense being run by the second/third team is a lot closer to what our offense looks like and that what the first team is running is something different (or something to this effect). I wonder, then, what role that plays in your assessment. That's more a rhetorical than practical question. When I saw that I remember thinking, well, hell, how are we supposed to judge his handle of the offense then? I'm sure there's a perfectly legitimate reason for running the preseason this way (not the least obvious of which is that MS doesn't want to show his entire hand in preseason), but I do wonder what our offense looks like with Robert running it, cause I don't think that is what we're seeing.

As one who loved the KC pick as soon as I heard about it, I love what I'm seeing out of him.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football