Alfred Morris still driving his '91 Mazda

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
FanFromAnnapolis

Alfred Morris still driving his '91 Mazda

Postby Irn-Bru » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:15 am

How can you not love this guy?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... --nfl.html

Redskins rookie Alfred Morris is still driving his 1991 Mazda

Player parking lots at any NFL team headquarters could double as luxury car lots, with Lexus, BMW, Porsche and Cadillac dominating the landscape. And then there's Washington Redskins rookie running back Alfred Morris, who gets to and from work in the same 1991 Mazda 626 he picked up during his junior year at Florida Atlantic University.

Estimated Kelly Blue Book value: Less than $1,200.

"It has some sentimental value to it now," Morris told the team's official website. "It just keeps me grounded, where I came from and all the hard work for me to get to this point. So that's what helps me."

With former No. 3 overall pick Vince Young making headlines for going broke, Morris was wise to wait until he is established before splurging on an expensive car.

Selected in the sixth round of the 2012 NFL draft, the No. 173 pick in this year's draft, Morris signed a four-year deal worth $2,223,100 on May 7. Of that amount, only Morris' $123,100 signing bonus was guaranteed. Of course, that is pre-tax income, which means Morris will still have to account for taxes, agent fees, the costs of his pre-draft training, etc...all with no guarantees of any checks beyond the weekly $850 "per diem" checks that rookies earn during minicamp and training camp.

With two game checks in his account ($45,882 before taxes), Morris could probably find a suitable upgrade without breaking the bank, but that Mazda isn't going anywhere.

"One day, my kids are going to drive that car," Morris added. "If it breaks down, I'm gettin' it fixed. That's just how I am."
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:02 pm

Smart move. I think Ryan Torain might have had to turn his SUV back in. Hopefully he gets a new number right after he gets a new car.

A starting RB with a 91 Mazda and a practice squad number. I love it though. If he runs for 1500 yards, he might want to step it up tho.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby El Mexican » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:55 pm

We need more players like this. Hungry guys who have something to prove. Great car!

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:51 pm

I can dig it... My 85' 200sx would smoke him tho! Lmao
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:55 pm

LOVE this kind of story. I have several cars from the mid-80s and they too have "value" for me. I wish Morris great health and a MONSTER season.
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:59 pm

I drive an '88 Acura Legend with 300K miles. Runs great.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby cvillehog » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:20 pm

Great story and smart kid.

piggie

Postby oj » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:48 am

Thats how Cooley did it, drove his beater until he knew he could afford an upgrade. I remember a storey about him taking his first check to the banks drive-in window to see if it was real or not.
Thats my kind of guy.
Molon Labe

Hog

Postby Burgundy&Wha? » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:48 am

The older I get and the more I appreciate the value of money and how long it takes to attain it, the less I appreciate flashy cars. I had a client who collected exotic sports cars -- had some Ferrari's, Maserati's & such. They were nice, but no thanks. My client bought them right, older and depreciated. Still, I couldn't get all that excited about them. Just too much money.

Good for Alfred. It would be nice to see more stories like this. Too many of todays athletes fail to realize that even 6th round pick money is enough to set you up for life if you are smart with it.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football