Vikings postgame thread

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:48 pm

Man I was really happy that Briscoe made the team this year. He had a good year with TB and has a lot of potential. But that drop yesterday was a HOWLER.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:24 pm

grampi wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:The Defense made key plays and stops, but this is not the type of D performance that gets us to the play-offs. Too many yards and offensive plays given up.

Check out how many times we got burn't in the flat - receiver wide open. I still don't fault our players even if they are making mistakes in this scheme. To me the scheme is too complicated for the talent level on the D.

The D did play well enough to win, so for last night, that is good enough. :)

Whatever happened to defenses that forced 3 and outs, or at least forced punts? I was watching the Dallas/Baltimore game earlier and Dallas (who has one of the lowest ranked offenses in the league) never punted once in the entire game. They went up and down the field the entire game on a D that's supposed to be one of the best in the league...so it's not just our D that's not playing all that well....

I guess the Pats and the Pack proved last year that you don't need a three and out D to make the play-offs just hold them to FGs and and make a few plays and of course an O that scores points helps.

Ok, when you look at it that way, what we got out of our D with our O is a type of formula for success. Throw in a kicker that can kick FGs ----- maybe we can start winning consistenly if RGIII gets to call his own plays and Haz backs off the zero blitz more.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:27 pm

44diesel wrote:I loved hearing Robert breakdown this play in the postgame. The awareness and confidence that he has as a rookie is amazing.

Robert Griffin III wrote:We kinda felt that they were gonna pressure us in that situation. So, Kyle called a good play. I saw the double A gap blitz and I was thinking I'm either going to throw hot or if they miss this blitz, and don't hit it the right way then I'm going to run for the first. I saw that they missed it. I took off running and got to the sideline. I thought about running out of bounds (cause everyone's been telling me that lately :wink: ) and then you just know in certain situations and I feel like I had the guy outflanked and I just took off running. The rest is history.

I like the guy next to Kyle playing air guitar!
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:34 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Deadskins wrote:I think our D played a great game. Not only did they score, but they gave RGIII the ball deep in Vikings territory, despite once again not getting any of the blatant holds right in front of the refs. Not to mention a couple of really bad interference calls, which could have easily gone the other way.

I agree with you on the positives. They kept us in the game, they scored. But giving up three straight drives when we had a three score lead which resulted in two TD's and almost a third removes the "great" from the performance.

I have to agree with Kaz - having a 19 point lead in the 4th qtr and the game turning into a nail biter definitely removes the "great." After reading a few posts, I can definitely see the postive side of the performance of the D, better today, than I did last night at the game.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:37 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
44diesel wrote:I loved hearing Robert breakdown this play in the postgame. The awareness and confidence that he has as a rookie is amazing.

Robert Griffin III wrote:We kinda felt that they were gonna pressure us in that situation. So, Kyle called a good play. I saw the double A gap blitz and I was thinking I'm either going to throw hot or if they miss this blitz, and don't hit it the right way then I'm going to run for the first. I saw that they missed it. I took off running and got to the sideline. I thought about running out of bounds (cause everyone's been telling me that lately :wink: ) and then you just know in certain situations and I feel like I had the guy outflanked and I just took off running. The rest is history.

I like the guy next to Kyle playing air guitar!

Kyle blew the call on the pitch on 3rd and 1 on the previous series. Keep the ball in RGIIIs hands! The odds are much better with RGIII than a pitchout against that D. I will give credit to Kyle making the call to put the ball in RGIII's hand on that last 3rd down call.

Hog

Postby ACW » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:41 pm

GREAT run, but should we be worried RGIII ran so much?
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

Hog

Postby DaveD1420 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:08 pm

ACW wrote:GREAT run, but should we be worried RGIII ran so much?

I say no. Run him while we can get away with it (assuming we can prevent him from getting hurt again). Once teams figure him out, we blast them with his rocket arm. Then they plan for that, and we run him more again.

Hog

Postby ACW » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:11 pm

DaveD1420 wrote:
ACW wrote:GREAT run, but should we be worried RGIII ran so much?

I say no. Run him while we can get away with it (assuming we can prevent him from getting hurt again).
That there is my concern.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:35 pm

I think that both RG3 and Kyle had a HUGE wake up call last Sunday

there is no way this kid can play scared but ...
at the same time both he and Kyle can and will play 'smart'

I believe that we will see a game plan that takes advantage of all that RG3 offers but at the same time does not take the risks that were a part of what we were doing in the first 5 games

this kid will be allowed to learn and grow into one of the most exciting QBs to ever play the game

it's amazing the difference a 'leader' can make in this game

it's even more important when that leadership comes from the QB position

HTTR
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby cvillehog » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:12 am

I missed this last week, but Gregg Easterbrook's TMQ column on ESPN on 10/9 started with a long description of how the Vikings running a simple offense and winning is proof that the NFL has gotten too complex. I haven't rewatched the game yet, but I have to say I didn't think their offense was particularly vanilla. What did you guys think?

http://espn.go.com/espn/playbook/story/ ... licity-win

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:40 am

C'ville - I think you have to factor in that the vikings have had a very good run defense for a while

AND

they have AP and Harvin = we did not play good defense but it 'worked'

'simple' might work against many teams ...

ALSO - our guys were really up for this game - even with Morris not getting a lot of yards

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:49 am

I agree SJ..

Morris did enough tho, and opened it up for rgiii-almost 140 yards plus his = killin it
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:36 pm

no question - Morris did not get a lot of yards but his presence (and what he had done this year) must have helped the other facets of our offense

Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:19 pm

cvillehog wrote:I missed this last week, but Gregg Easterbrook's TMQ column on ESPN on 10/9 started with a long description of how the Vikings running a simple offense and winning is proof that the NFL has gotten too complex. I haven't rewatched the game yet, but I have to say I didn't think their offense was particularly vanilla. What did you guys think?

I think Greggggg Easterbrook is a pompous windbag, so I generally disagree with everything the man says. No, I didn't think their offense was vanilla.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:08 pm

cvillehog wrote:I missed this last week, but Gregg Easterbrook's TMQ column on ESPN on 10/9 started with a long description of how the Vikings running a simple offense and winning is proof that the NFL has gotten too complex. I haven't rewatched the game yet, but I have to say I didn't think their offense was particularly vanilla. What did you guys think?

I don't know if I would call it vanilla, but Ponder threw a lot of short passes against the Skins and methodically marched the ball down the field. With a guy like Harvin, dumping the ball off to him can easily turn into a big gain. With a running back like Peterson to compliment the short passing game, it is a formula that has to work. The D is not too Shabby as well. When the Skins were conventional, the completely shut down the Skins - that helps a simple offense as well. Speaking of simple the D also looks like a simple Cover 2 with everyone being where they are supposed to be.

Here's some evidence that the Vikings are keeping it simple. Last year Ponder comp pct was 54.3%. This year it is 68.6%. How did his pct rise so dramatically in one year? Has he become RGIIIish with his accuracy in one year? No! The shorter passes are helping him big time.

I do agree with the article - simple just might be better. Vikes are 4-2. Not a bad start for one of the worst teams last year and they have beaten some good teams like the Niners and Lions.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football