The Griffin Touch

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby ACW » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:11 pm

Win or lose, we're ALWAYS in it w/ RGIII.
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

Hog

Re: The Griffin Touch

Postby markshark84 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:19 pm

crazyhorse1 wrote:
RayNAustin wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:
markshark84 wrote:The JC excuse-making on this cite was unreal for close to 3 years.

At one point I felt as if there were only 2 people (myself and RayinAustin) on this cite that actually understood how BAD JC really was and how much he was setting back this franchise. Kazoo, I even recall early on a couple (not a ton but a couple) pro-JC posts from you too.....

Because Campbell wasn't a great QB, therefore the most negative, shrill critics must have been right? :roll:

I think there was quite a range of realistic perspectives on him during his time in DC. Yes, there were some unrealistic excuses, just as some others seemed hell bent on finding fault with the way he drank his Gatorade (cough), and both extremes were . . . well, extreme.

Keep in mind that even though he departed after an unsuccessful stint, you could still have been pretty wrong about him, as far as facts were concerned.

Alright now, the other half of the Ray&Mark team is here to speak up, and your version of revisionist history is not at all the way I recall things either.

And just what do you mean we still "could have been wrong"?? He bombed in Raider land too, and managed to play 19 games over 2 seasons, and no real difference in his production over what he managed to do here. And now he's in Chicago, who all should be in church every sunday praying that nothing happens to Cutler.

I suppose you're right that we "could have been wrong" ... but so far, we've been right

And I recall more than "some" unreasonable excuses ... I distinctly recall the excuse generator that could have produced enough juice to run New York 24/7 ....

"no QB would be successful behind this o-line"

"Jason was set up for failure with this team"

"he just needs time to learn the system"

"the receivers are too short, and Santana Moss is not the same player"

"JC has had how many offensive coordinators?"

"All rookies need 2-3 years to learn an offense"

"this year is gonna be Jason's breakout season" (this happened for 3 years)

In response to Todd Collins coming in and lighting up the offense and winning 4 straight games (after a 4 game slide) and taking us to the playoffs .... "Collins just knows the system inside out being with Saunders for years".

So yes, Jason sucked bad ... and we were the main two guys here that refused to drink the JC kool-aide and pointed out his irredeemable unfixable flaws of which there were too many to be a starting NFL QB. Slow mentally in decisions and reading coverages ... slow release ... not very football savvy or improvising .... no feel for the game ... lousy pocket presence ... actually rolled into more sacks than he rolled away from ... had to be reminded to step up into the pocket ... inaccurate on both short and long throws ... no touch on short throws ... stared down receivers .... and a perpetual deer in the headlights when under pressure. He occasionally got into a rhythm and showed flash of good, but it was always just a teaser that he couldn't deliver on consistently. He was Mr. 3 and out when it counted, and the guy couldn't throw a TD pass outside the 20 yard line if you took his entire family hostage and gave him an entire season to throw one. The worst part was that he was never actually able to improve in any of these areas of weakness. I mean he left Washington as the same guy that arrived .. and he picked up right where he left off here, and was vintage Jason Campbell in Oakland too.

But you're right that RG3 and Jason should not be mentioned in the same conversation. And I dare say that could just as easily apply to Captain Kirk too .... Cousins is a better QB right now, than Jason ever was or ever will be. He even made Grossman look good ..... Jason and Beck are the two worst QB's ever to put on the Burgundy & Gold, since Danny Awful.

Just to set the record straight :wink:

He was better for us than Brunell was. Brunell was Gibbs' worse decision ever.

Disagree. We used 2 first rounders (including the pick) on JC. We thereafter WASTED 4 years with him. With Brunell, he played only 1 full season and we made the playoffs -- which is the last playoff game we actually won. JC lead us to the playoffs 0 times in 4 years (and no 2007 goes to the 4-game streak by Collins - that year JC "lead" us to a 5-7 record). In 2005 Brunell had more TDs than JC had in any year in WAS.

Yes Brunell was HORRENDOUS in DC, but we wasted more draft picks and tons more time with JC. We got more out of Brunell in 1 year than we did in 4 years with JC.

So no, JC was the biggest mistake this franchise has made in as long as I can remember if you consider time of investment and amount paid.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:20 pm

Last edited by markshark84 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:38 pm

Why the hell are people still talking about JC?
#HTTRgiii
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:18 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:Why the hell are people still talking about JC?
#HTTRgiii

- Don't remember Desmond Howard?
- Don't want to remember Heath Shuler?
- More fun than trying to think of a way to improve the defensive secondary?

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:55 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:Why the hell are people still talking about JC?
#HTTRgiii

Because ... we're enjoying having a Redskin quarterback who doesn't suck ... and we remember the ones who sucked in doing that ... I mean duh ...
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:34 am

Robert Griffin is simply unbelievable. I honestly thought we'd still win it until Santana fumbled. My only concern was that we not leave any more than 5 seconds on the clock when we scored because of our defense. In all my years of 'skins fandom, I've never had that feeling of our guy can do it, like i do with RGIII.

Grossman, JC, mcnabb, etc. are all irrelevant, we've got a franchise QB, and it is going to be a fun ride. My favorite thing about him is his brain. It took him one game, one game of sitting out due to a nasty hit, and he's already learned the appropriate lessons. He doesn't make the same mistakes twice. And he's a rookie. I think.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:00 am

emoses14 wrote:Robert Griffin is simply unbelievable. I honestly thought we'd still win it until Santana fumbled. My only concern was that we not leave any more than 5 seconds on the clock when we scored because of our defense. In all my years of 'skins fandom, I've never had that feeling of our guy can do it, like i do with RGIII.

Grossman, JC, mcnabb, etc. are all irrelevant, we've got a franchise QB, and it is going to be a fun ride. My favorite thing about him is his brain. It took him one game, one game of sitting out due to a nasty hit, and he's already learned the appropriate lessons. He doesn't make the same mistakes twice.

+1

And he's a rookie. I think.

I kinda get caught in that mental trap too. I feel like someone transported me 3 years into the future.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Postby roybus » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:46 am

Just when the Shannys get it right on offense, the defense is now the problem. It's "turrible!" and at some point Papa Shanny has to make a decision. Now this is a business and how it falls on the coaches but in this instance you have two former HCs running your defense. If they can't get these guys in the right positions and these guys can't execute either start cutting guys or change the coaching staff.

This defense has been getting gashed but that last play to Cruz was more on the players than the scheme because you have to as the safety stay over the top no matter what and keep him in front of you or stride for stride as the corner when they need a touchdown to win, period.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:03 am

Sheli got hit right after the throw. If we had even bumped Cruz a little off the line, there's no way they complete that play. smh

How long do we have to wait before we get a DC who understands how bump and run coverage, especially in long yardage situations, is a good thing?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

piggie

Postby Bishop Hammer » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:16 pm

markshark84 wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:Just wanted to say how sweet it is to have a QB who just throws it to receivers over and over. After the years of Jason drilling it into the ground in front of receivers and the Rex lollipops, wow. And for all you who kept arguing that Jason drilling into the ground made sense because only the receiver could catch it, though actually the receiver couldn't, I have two things to say:

1) The receiver can only catch it if you throw it in their bread basket too, and it's a lot more effective.

The JC excuse-making on this cite was unreal for close to 3 years.

At one point I felt as if there were only 2 people (myself and RayinAustin) on this cite that actually understood how BAD JC really was and how much he was setting back this franchise. Kazoo, I even recall early on a couple (not a ton but a couple) pro-JC posts from you too.....

But we are seeing what good QB play looks like now -- a QB that can actually make plays and doesn't need an all-pro at every position to look adequate. As I have said: a QB makes everyone around them look better -- it's not the other way around.

I like Jason Campbell. I was really hoping he'd have a solid NFL career. But your right he isn't a good qb. The best he'll ever be is a back up.
I don't have to sell my soul,
He's already in me,
I don't need to sell my soul,
He's already in me.
I wanna be adored
I wanna be adored.

Stone Roses
I wanna be adored

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football