Replace Haslett with... ???

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:41 pm

Deadskins wrote:
oneman56 wrote:Madieu Williams has been atrocious

Yeah, that pick six last week was horrible.

One good play means he's good? For the most he's been terrible in coverage.
Suck and Luck

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:17 am

CanesSkins26 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

Not saying he's good or is playing well. I'm just sick of the hysteria. These guys are probably playing pretty well 90% of the game, and then have a lapse on one or two plays, but these plays happen to be game changers, so people say "this guy sucks," or "cut him," when we don't have any other options.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:45 am

Deadskins wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

Not saying he's good or is playing well. I'm just sick of the hysteria. These guys are probably playing pretty well 90% of the game, and then have a lapse on one or two plays, but these plays happen to be game changers, so people say "this guy sucks," or "cut him," when we don't have any other options.

I'm 100% with you man. The team is 3-4 and has been competitive all season. We have one of the most exciting players in the league on our team. Why can't we just enjoy the season?

Keep your heads up kids. This isn't a perfect team, but its not Grossman and Gaffney anymore either.

Hog

Postby TCIYM » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:18 am

I find it impossible to criticize Jim Haslett given the personnel he now has to work with. Then again, he wasn't given much to work with from the beginning. Even before all of the injuries and suspensions the safety corps was highly suspect. It puts too much on the cornerbacks when there is no pass rush and the safeties can't maintain coverage. No defensive coordinator is this same situation could get more out of the same personnel. Being ranked dead last in pass defense is not a scheme issue. It's a personnel issue.

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:11 am

I have to say that I personally would like to get Wade Phillips, but I don't see that happening. Haslett hasn't been outstanding, but he hasn't been as horrendous as most think.

I personally put most of the blame on Morris as he is IN CHARGE of the secondary -- however he only has 1 good player in Hall. The others are not very good. That said, I have seen a number of coaching errors on the field from the secondary; so it works both ways.

The remainder of the season and how this team plays will determine Hazs' fait. We have allowed the 3rd most points in the NFL this season -- which is horrible. Oddly enough we are the only team that has put up 200 and been scored on 200 in the NFL. Quite a contrast from our 14-10 games of the past 5 years or so.

All in all, I am going to keep an open mind to both Haz and Morris until the end of the year -- and I believe by then it will be obvious what to do.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:28 am

Deadskins wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

Exactly.

Most have already agreed that our personnel in the secondary is below average and we all knew it prior to game #1. The injuries to our projected starters at safety made it worse.

However, they have played well at times. The secondary and Haz's schemes did a damn good job against a solid Vikings offense last week. Opponents have known all season that our secondary sucks, but Haz has schemed well at times to counter our inept personnel in the secondary.

Nevertheless, big plays happen in this game. 20 seconds before Cruz got behind our secondary for what turned out to be the game-winning TD, the Giants' fans, coaches and players were pissed wondering how the heck Santana Moss got behind the Giants secondary for what could have been the game winning TD. It's the same thing, and the Giants have a good defense.

I don't think this loss to the Giants can be pinned on Haslett. Turnovers and some questionable penalties cost us this game IMO. Instead of our 2 starting rookies turning the ball over multiple times, if our offense had actually scored points on those deep drives, much like they've done all season, we could have won on points by nearing or exceeding our season average of 30 PPG, the late TD to Cruz wouldn't have mattered and, nobody would be casting accusations at Haz. What might have happened if Moss hadn't fumbled on our last offensive drive? I just think there's too many other game variables in a loss to point the finger at one guy. My 2 cents

piggie

Postby fetus » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:33 am

I can't say who we would replace Haz with, but I'm honestly not 100% sure we should do it this year. I know that our secondary seems to be the major problem and our front 7 is pretty top notch even with out Rak and Carriker. We really don't have a good secondary to work with at this point anyway, let's face it and most of us have, D.Hall is not that good, he can't really cover #1's or #2's even. I will give it to Hall that he is a playmaker but is the 1 pick worth the 3 TD's he gives up on double moves?
Josh Wilson is our best corner it seems, He can cover most receivers but does get beat as well.
Griffin has really surprised me this year, he hasn't really gotten killed like I thought he would and I would put in in front of Hall on the Depth Chart anyday, which seems like it's happening with Hall moving to nickel in some cases.
Our Safeties are not starter caliber by any means, Williams is decent but man we are so hurt at the safety position it is ridiculous.
I say let Haz play out the year and see what we can do in the secondary during Free Agency and draft, if we can get a Safety that can play in the draft and maybe shore up the CB position in FA then see what happens halfway through next season, if all sucks
Fire his @ss
RGIII and the terrible D

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:25 am

I don't think Josh Wilson has been the same since his concussion against the Rams this year. And Hall's play has really improved — he's more physical and not always looking to strip the ball, and I think the coaches are using him better by playing him inside more often and even sometimes at safety.

I was down on Hall quite a bit last year, and I still don't think he's worth what we are paying him, but I have to give credit where it's due and IMHO he's been our best corner this year by a decent margin.

I think our biggest weakness are our safeties. No talent back there, just a couple of utility guys. Having good safeties would make Wilson and anyone playing our 3rd corner look a lot better.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:20 pm

What's the deal with Merriweather? Is that guy ever going to suit up??

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:21 pm

He was reinjured when he ran into Aldrick Robinson before the Tampa game. I think he's on pace to come back after the bye.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:13 pm

Cool. I know everybody is dying to get Garcon back, but seems like Merriweather is the guy we really need out there soon. I wonder if the guy can play??? :)

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:59 pm

This is one explanation on what Madieu Williams was thinking on that Cruz play. The film showed that Cruz never runs a go from the slot position. Cruz was lined up in the slot. Madieu saw that and was confident that Cruz would break off the route. The Skins were very conscious of the Giants marching down the field and kicking a FG, so Madieu was positioning himself to jump the route and possibly make the INT.

What was not known to the the person giving this explanation is the extent that Madieu was coached to watch for this tendency of Cruz. Madieu was responsible for Cruz deep, so it was his fault. Blame could also go to Wilson because he not only failed to get his hands on Cruz, as he turned to run with Cruz he seemed to open his hips awkward and quickly lost a step. It was said that Wilson should never have been over the slot guy because he is not physical enough. Williams being a veteran should have known when to turn and run and play the possibility of the deep ball, but the person giving the explanation kept emphasizing that Cruz never ran a go from the slot.

It seems to me that the person giving this explanation was saying that the coaches were also at fault because, he felt that Madieu was coached to look for Cruz to break off the route and the fact that Wilson being over the slot receiver.

Here's the issue with my source. I hearded this on either ESPN980 or the 106.7 The Fan. I came in after the guest was speaking. This wasn't a random caller, it was a reporter or someone who has inside football knowledge, who was a guest on the one of the shows. I flip back and forth on the stations, so and can't remember which station I was listening to at the time. This was a couple of days ago.

Perhaps someone else heard it as well and can elaborate or heard this from another source.

This the best I can find on the internet. I did find another person in this link from a mesage baord that they have read that Cruz never runs a go form the slot.

http://cpnd.proboards.com/index.cgi?boa ... 377&page=1

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:08 pm

Matt Bowen's take on the Cruz Play

I have no issue with the coverage. In a two-minute situation, taking away Cruz is a smart idea. However, as a DB you can never assume (or guess) the route scheme. And there is no excuse to giving up a TD when you have two DBs bracketing a WR in the slot.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:20 pm

I would expect more of the same from now on. Teams are going to put a speedster in the slot and try to hit the big play. Cruz is a slot guy from what I hear but has great speed.

Hog

Postby RayNAustin » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:32 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:Hard for me to say it was all Haslets fault. We did hire Raheem to fix the secondary.

That's a great point. Even though there were question marks in the secondary right from the start, and a suspension and injuries haven't helped, I see no logic whatsoever in taking the coordinator of a putrid secondary and giving him the defensive job because of poor secondary play. That is counter intuitive and makes zero sense.

The right defense was called by Haslett ... the players executed what is actually routine over-under double coverage as badly as two players can execute it. In fact, one of the analysts said it best ... "if I was running that defense, those two players would never see the field again."

Wilson needed to get his hands on Cruz off the line and disrupt him some, but Cruz blew by him like he was a shrub. You don't let the slot receiver run free like that ... he had two steps on Wilson in the first five yards, so if Cruz had turned that rout to a short post, Wilson still was not even in good enough position to make a trailing tackle. But Cruz then saw Williams standing there playing with himself like a flat footed idiot, and blew past him too. Totally inexcusable for two starters to play a simple over-under that badly. That's not even acceptable for backups. Until I looked at the play several times, I really wasn't even sure the call was to double Cruz .... but then I started paying close attention and it looked like Williams was trying to position himself to jump the outside rout being covered by Hall, watching Eli, instead of executing the coverage that was his responsibility ... and that's why he got beat so badly. By the time Williams realized Eli was targeting Cruz, he was already by him and the play was busted.

To be honest, I'd really have a hard time putting those two back on the field as starters this week, regardless of who's available to play for them. Somebody needs to send a message to this group that unacceptable is unacceptable, and such atrocious play has consequences.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football