Cooley re-signs with the Skins

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:09 am

SkinsJock wrote:btw - what's a metaphore? :roll:

It's like a dickphore.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:21 am

It will take at least 3 games for Cooley to get in game shape. That said, I am happy to have him back. Davis is the better TE, but Cooley has been a loyal skin. I personally don't think that he is done. He is only 30 and not an RB -- but we'll soon find that out.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:36 am

I hope I am wrong, and this is probably not a popular statement, but Cooley is a huge step down from what we had, both as a pass catcher and a run blocker, so I wouldn't get your hopes up people.

Real great to have him back from a fans perspective, but just don't think the guy can separate and has always had trouble in the blocking department. We shall see though. I'm obviously rooting for him.
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:40 am

I think it's great that we have Cooley back. You know, so that he can run ghost routes when Paulsen is taking a break from being awesome!
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

Hog

Postby 44diesel » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:19 am

I will be interested to see what bringing a vet back like Cooley will do for the team's morale. We've been hit with a number of key injuries this year losing playmakers on both sides of the ball. I remember how players said that Cooley was consoling them after the news that he was being let go. I'm hoping that his presence will be a nice shot in the arm to help keep the team on track moving forward.

We need to have players step up and fill the holes when starters go down. Fortunate for us, that we lose a weapon like Davis and can bring in a veteran who knows the playbook inside and out, is a "core Redskin" and a crowd favorite.

I'd love to see Cooley get back to being a clutch target inside the redzone.
"Givin'em the Business!"

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:30 am

chiefhog44 wrote:I hope I am wrong, and this is probably not a popular statement, but Cooley is a huge step down from what we had, both as a pass catcher and a run blocker

I couldn't disagree more. He's a step up, both as a pass catcher and a run blocker, from Fred Davis.
Where he is a step down is speed, and jumping ability.

Hail to the Redskins!

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:47 am

Can't wait to hear the coooooooooooooo chants when he makes a clutch catch!
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby rick301 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:39 pm

Deadskins wrote:
chiefhog44 wrote:I hope I am wrong, and this is probably not a popular statement, but Cooley is a huge step down from what we had, both as a pass catcher and a run blocker

I couldn't disagree more. He's a step up, both as a pass catcher and a run blocker, from Fred Davis.
Where he is a step down is speed, and jumping ability.

Cooooley is better finding the open spot and catching the pass

Hog

Postby jmooney » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:41 pm

He will be an upgrade over Niles Paul as a TE the minute he straps on the pads. Paul may be faster but that means nothing if he cant catch.

What were talking about here is an upgrade at the position over Paul, not Davis. Also he plugs in instantly, little to no learning curve.

This move was kind of a no brainer.

Sucks for Cooley though, now hes got higher income before his divorce is finalized. Oh well, maybe playing ball will take his mind off of it.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:55 pm

jmooney wrote:What were talking about here is an upgrade at the position over Paul, not Davis.

Paul is still playing, Davis is on IR.

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby jmooney » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:35 pm

Exactly, I dont think you bring Cooley in for depth. Hes gonna start, not Paul. Niles is cheap and plays well on teams, he isnt better than Cooley even if Cooley has lost a step.

Thats why I'm saying Cooley is an upgrade over what we currently have. Although I would like to see Paulsen get more work. Everytime we throw to that guy he makes the play.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:14 pm

Deadskins wrote:
jmooney wrote:What were talking about here is an upgrade at the position over Paul, not Davis.

Paul is still playing, Davis is on IR.

Exactly! Davis is gone.

Cooley is a CLEAR CUT improvement over Niles "the invisible man" Paul and probably still an upgrade over the lumberjack.

Paulsen and Cooley much better than Paulsen and Paul!

A reminder to all, Fred Davis never out preformed Cooley in any year Cooley was healthy and this year that trend will continue.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:23 pm

Deadskins wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:btw - what's a metaphore? :roll:

It's like a dickphore.

Thanks for confirming .... :twisted:
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

Postby lawnmower55 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:27 pm

A couple weeks after Cooley was let go, I spoke with his brother by PM on another board that shall remain nameless (during the course of a pretty nasty thread about Cooley's personal situation that was started by a Mod). He indicated that he and George Allen had met, and that things went well. I had a feeling that he was just waiting in the wings, so to speak, knowing that he'd be back on come capacity.

piggie

Postby Chadwickallen » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:37 am

I love that Cooley is back. I bought my 1 year old son a Cooley jersey before this season. His first jersey ever. Cooley is the kind of player that I want my son to look up to. Never in trouble on or off the field. Everyone has personal issues, and they are exactly what the name implies....personal. With that being said, can we please see Santana on the field more often? :) HAIL!!!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football