Skins Steelers postgame thread

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:03 am

Deadskins wrote:
Kilmer72 wrote:Maybe next year we get the calls and the other teams don't.

Please! We've never gotten the calls, why would they start next year?

Dude! Weren't you watching? You were rght again. We won! It was just all the crappy calls by the refs and a few drops. We were the better team.

Seriously, there were a few calls we should have gotten. Griffin was not hit helet-to-helmet when he went long but I saw a missed hold and there was a PI in the endzone that could have been important.

Otherwise we got our butts handed to us in all 3 phases.

On D we could not stop them.

On O Kyle acted like it was all about our execution as if their D didn't matter. It seemed like we dd not game plan FOR THEM.

On specials we had another kick blocked and have trouble reaching the goal line when we kick off.

We've held a lead at some point in every game before this (I think) except against the Bengals where we were tied late. This was a debacle.

I'm worried about our confidence moving forward. If we had held a few leads early in the year (Rams, Giants) and were 5-3 now I wouldn't be.

Our 2nd half has 5 home games. We need to beat Carolina next week then beat Philly after the bye. We do that and we have a chance for a decent year. We lose to Carolina it could fall apart.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Re: Wasted 4th round pick...

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:22 am

llcc25 wrote:Its clear that we could've used that 4th round pick to shore up some of our glaring weaknesses on D. Why Shanahan, why did you draft someone who is riding our bench when we had so many other holes to fill??? Its clear RGIII needs more help...this move is an indictment on Shanahan's GM capabilities...

Here' how you could add teeth to your agrument - go through the 4th round of the draft starting with the picks after the Skins picked Cousins. Look at all the defensive guys chosen. Pick one or two that you feel that we should have chosen. Look them up on NFL.com or pro-football-reference.com and see if they are contributing right now. It is not an exact science because we don't know if that player would fit our scheme, but it would make for good support for what you are saying.

If I get some free time, before the power goes out with the coming hurricane I will go ahead and do it.

OK, I listed the 4th round defensive guys for you (I didn't include the picks before Cousins because they were not available and I eliminated the picks between Cousins and Robinson because we passed on them for Robinson - even if they are good now, we still would have passed on them). Which guys would have helped us out against Pittsburgh yesterday?

102. Washington Redskins - Kirk Cousins, QB, Michigan State
119. Washington Redskins - Keenan Robinson, OLB, Texas
120. Cleveland Browns - James-Michael Johnson, MLB, Nevada
123. Philadelphia Eagles - Brandon Boykin, CB, Georgia
124. Buffalo Bills - Ron Brooks, CB, LSU
125. Detroit Lions - Ronnell Lewis, DE/OLB, Oklahoma
126. Houston Texans - Jared Crick, DT, Nebraska
129. Oakland Raiders - Miles Burris, OLB, San Diego State
130. Baltimore Ravens - Christian Thompson, S, South Carolina State
132. Green Bay Packers - Mike Daniels, DT, Iowa
133. Green Bay Packers - Jerron McMillian, S, Maine
135. Dallas Cowboys - Matt Johnson, S, Eastern Washington
Last edited by Red_One43 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:24 am

DarthMonk wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

Dude! Weren't you watching? You were rght again. We won! It was just all the crappy calls by the refs and a few drops. We were the better team.

Dude, where did I say calls cost us this game? But, you are correct that I'm the one who can't let it go. :roll:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:44 am

Red_One43 wrote:Problem here is Kyle started running wide to Harrisons side on the first two running plays after the opening end around. He continued to run Mmorris wide to Harrisons side for losses and no gains until the third quarter when Morris got over 10 yards on that carry. Those repeated carries to Harrison's side made no sense. I kept thinking that they were trying to set something up, but when you need to score on every series, you can't afford to set something up for later. I never did see what, if anything, they were trying to set up - it just looked like more suspect Kyle play calling.

+1. Good observations.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:02 pm

Deadskins wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

Dude, where did I say calls cost us this game? But, you are correct that I'm the one who can't let it go. :roll:

Never siad you did. Just having fun before I make my points. Relax.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

~~~~~

Postby Warmother » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:26 am

Red_One43 wrote:
Warmother wrote:Yesterday was a disappointment. It looked like a lot of guys had no interest in playing.
I am still optimistic about the season though. In years past we have started well only to crash later. I think this year will be the opposite. I think RG3 and the boys will get better as the year goes on. We may not make the playoffs but they will learn how to win, and then next year watch out.

Question: If in years past we started to crash later, what do you make of the 0-23 lackluster perfomance against Buffalo last year right at this time, on October 30th?

Yesterday may have been the worst, but the Shanahan Redskins have had a history of lackluster performances throughtout the season.

I think RG3 will make the difference, as well as he has played this year he's still a rookie. By the end of the year, with more experience, I think his drive and leadership will rub off on the guys who are under performing, (See recievers).
The Shanahan Redskins finally have an on the field leader who will not let the rest of the team slack off as the year goes along.
I think of this team like the 1981 team that started 0-5 and finished 8-8. Once this team learns to win like that one did, it will be a beautiful thing.
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the way I am."

Hog

Postby mastdark81 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:14 am

Worst feeling ive had this year. Im not going to put it on the offense, the defense continue to have qbs sit back untouched and get comfortable like it is probowl rules.

Even if receivers would have caught every pass I just felt that vibe that we was gling to lose cause we was on the road and everything was going their way.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:02 am

We are not good enough to be able to overcome guys on the field AND on the sidelines not giving it everything they've got

this was just a bad game for our team

we have a fantastic QB and we will continue to get better

I am sure a lot of players and coaches will benefit from this season's ups and downs

I'm not sure how many players AND coaches will be here next season if they don't put out a better effort in the coming weeks
one should always try to look on the bright side ... especially Redskins fans after the past 20 plus years

things will get better .... hopefully soon

Hail to the Redskins

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:10 am

DarthMonk wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

Never siad you did. Just having fun before I make my points. Relax.

Are you still pouting about getting.teased for picking the Gnats to win 60% to 40%.. then they pulled off the "w" and you were "right"?
... Only we should have won had it.not been for terrible calls, so you were actually wrong? Lol
Get over it doode! :twisted:
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:20 am

DarthMonk wrote:Griffin was not hit helet-to-helmet when he went long

No, but he was a defenseless WR, and that should have been called.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:22 am

Warmother wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:
Warmother wrote:Yesterday was a disappointment. It looked like a lot of guys had no interest in playing.
I am still optimistic about the season though. In years past we have started well only to crash later. I think this year will be the opposite. I think RG3 and the boys will get better as the year goes on. We may not make the playoffs but they will learn how to win, and then next year watch out.

Question: If in years past we started to crash later, what do you make of the 0-23 lackluster perfomance against Buffalo last year right at this time, on October 30th?

Yesterday may have been the worst, but the Shanahan Redskins have had a history of lackluster performances throughtout the season.

I think RG3 will make the difference, as well as he has played this year he's still a rookie. By the end of the year, with more experience, I think his drive and leadership will rub off on the guys who are under performing, (See recievers).
The Shanahan Redskins finally have an on the field leader who will not let the rest of the team slack off as the year goes along.
I think of this team like the 1981 team that started 0-5 and finished 8-8. Once this team learns to win like that one did, it will be a beautiful thing.

I agree with you about RGIII being a difference maker this year performance and leadership and I love your optimism. With the '81 team, Gibbs made a major adjustment with the O. Shanny has made such an adjustment this year. Good analogy so far.

*2005, Redskins 5-6, win next 5 games. Philosophy change - pound the ball.

*2007, Redskins 5-7, QB change by injury. QB who knows the O, comes in and wins 4 straight games.

*In the '81, '05, '06 seasons a major change in philosophy (run the ball) or personnel (QB who knows the system), led to the consecutive victory runs.

The Steeler game showed that even with RGIII, Kyle continues to showcase his arsenal of plays rather than maximize our strengths. A Flea Flicker? Against a disciplined D playing zone? A pass to a QB with the in D in Zone? Running wide with a no speed Alfred Morris against the Steelers? Why?

Haz continues to try to make his Steeler model defense more complicated than what the Steelers do.

Without a philosophy change from these two or at least one of them, we will have to rely on RGIII like we did in the Viking game. I can't see an '81, '05 or an '07 run in this team. There are too many flaws that we saw in 2010 still happening in the third year.

Will We bounce back from the Steeler game? We bounced back from the 2010 whupping by Philly, 59-28, so I know we will next week.

John Keim on Simplifying the Defense like the Steelers
2.Talked to a very knowledgeable NFL guy after the game and his point summed up some differences between the teams. The Redskins and Steelers run the same defense, right? Well, this person said that’s true only to a point. The Steelers are much more basic on early downs and it shows in their execution. While they will change things up and they will blitz a lot, most of their so-called exotic looks come on third down. They rarely learn anything new. It’s a major key to why they execute so well.

piglet

Postby Richmond Redskin » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:12 am

Deadskins wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:Griffin was not hit helet-to-helmet when he went long

No, but he was a defenseless WR, and that should have been called.

Agree...took an unecessary shot. I have no idea why coach did not tell Morgan to throw the ball away unless he was wide open. Big risk having your franchise running routes taking hits.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:29 am

Like Warmother posted and others have been saying for a few games now ...

BOTH Kyle and Jim have got to better utilize and game plan to suit the players they have

AND NOT CONTINUE to try and see if the plays they want their players to execute will work

THEY DON"T WORK

BOTH Kyle and Jim have to do their jobs better with the players they have

putting a franchise QB in harms way should have gotten the idiot that was responsible fired
one should always try to look on the bright side ... especially Redskins fans after the past 20 plus years

things will get better .... hopefully soon

Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:49 pm

SkinsJock wrote:Like Warmother posted and others have been saying for a few games now ...

BOTH Kyle and Jim have got to better utilize and game plan to suit the players they have

AND NOT CONTINUE to try and see if the plays they want their players to execute will work

THEY DON"T WORK

BOTH Kyle and Jim have to do their jobs better with the players they have

putting a franchise QB in harms way should have gotten the idiot that was responsible fired

Sorry I just don't get most of your post, my friend. No doubt Kyle needed to make some adjustments to what LeBeau was doing, but 10 dropped passes was probably more of an issue. Either way, its not like the Skins offense couldn't move the ball.

And as for putting a franchise QB in harms way, I just don't get this stuff. We drafted RGIII to help us win games. He's in harm's way every time he is on the field. I'm not saying we need to be completely reckless with him, but he's our best offensive weapon. We HAVE to be willing to take some risks with him.

I know what play you're upset about, and it sounds like Shanny himself agrees it was stupid in hindsight. Oh well. At least they're out there trying to make things happen. We're only complaining about the play because it didn't work. When they rolled RGIII out and he ran 73 yards for a TD a couple weeks back, nobody was on here saying, "WHAT IDIOT LET OUR FRANCHISE QB RUN THE BALL??? HE MIGHT GET HURT!!!!!"

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:21 pm

Most people around here thought that the predictions of 2 - 14 and worst place in the NFC East were exaggerated. They were NOT!

That is exactly where we would be at the end of the season if RGIII had not turned out to be our saviour.

CAN ANYBODY EVEN IMAGINE HOW MANY WINS HAD WE HAD WITH sexy Rex this season?

Probably: NONE, ZERO, SILCH, NOTHING, NADA, CRAP.

I am so ANGRY and FRUSTRATED that I did not want to post before today. At this point, We would have been much better off with that antiquated 4-3 defense when we had one. This is a RIDICULOUS secondary. And those butter fingers among our "receivers". Well, what else can we ask RGIII to do? Send the pass and receive it at the other end?

NOW, I maintain someone should be held responsible for this COLLAPSE after we are on our way to have the WORST pass defense in the NFL with the prospect to become the 1st in the history of the NFL to allow +5000 yards in a season. I will post a question in a separate POLL.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football